The texture of a mesh is completely black for me

What are you attempting to achieve?
I’m trying to make an animated lever.

What is the issue?
The mesh of the lever is completely black, which makes my job significantly harder. Changing the texture to something else doesn’t change it at all, it just stays black. The main problem is that it’s like this only for me, everyone else can see it just fine.

What solutions have you tried so far?
I’ve tried reinstalling studio, I’ve checked wikis (which didn’t help me much), I tried to reupload the texture and I also tried to reset all settings. I also tried to reset my PC just to make sure it wasn’t a one time thing.

This is what it looks like to me:
lever1

This is what it looks like to someone else:
lever2

I’m lost as to what might be causing this.
Also, I can see any other meshes just fine, this one is somehow broken.

2 Likes

It might be to do with your lighting settings. Go to “Lighting” in your explorer and try to fiddle around with the brightness and other functions. Also is this across all of your games or just the specific one you are making the lever in?

2 Likes

Sorry for the really late reply, I didn’t have time right now.

For this lever it’s across all games, no matter the game it’s in it stays black.

2 Likes

Is the texture of it made by you or somebody else?

2 Likes

It is made by somebody else, yes.

1 Like

Hmm. I don’t know, sorry. I’ve never seen a problem like this before.

2 Likes

Yeah, me neither. Thanks anyway though.

2 Likes

You may need the texture uploaded under your own account for it to work. I’ve been having issues with mesh textures not displaying for everyone if I upload it directly to the texture ID property in the meshpart. Problem fixes if either they upload it under their account too or I drop it into studio as a decal then grab it’s ID and paste that ID into the texture property rather than uploading the file directly into the meshpart. I’ve been seeing this bug for about a week now. UI Image labels/buttons are also effected by this bug. :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

I have just thought of a possibility: the creator of the texture may have archived it, meaning no one can use it in games or in studio.

1 Like

Check the UV of the mesh in blender and see if it matches. Also, you may take a look at your texture UV and export it as a different texture then apply it to your mesh under textureid in the mesh. It could help. You could also try either FBX and OBJ. Some people reported me that FBX does have glitches sometimes, but i’m not sure as I use Wavefront (OBJ).

1 Like

Thanks for all the help guys, but a simple solution that has worked for me was to reupload the mesh

3 Likes