The toolbox should show the size of the image for decals

As a Roblox developer it is currently too hard to know how big of an image I’m inserting from the toolbox.

If Roblox were to fix this, it would be easier to select free images from Roblox that don’t have an outsized performance impact.

30 Likes

Ideally developers shouldn’t even need to worry about resolution hurting performance in most cases.

I’d like to be able to upload images at high resolution (4k+), and have the client download pieces of mipmaps automatically based on hardware limitations, size/focus on screen, and available video memory. Each resolution could even be compressed such that clients only need to download the ‘difference’ from the previous resolution one step down in quality. It would likely need new proprietary tech, but it would scale way more elegantly with the huge demand for large amounts of high quality 3D PBR content in the future.

6 Likes

Note: I just realized I could stop naming my decals with the file size in them if this was the case.

6 Likes

I do this same thing. It’s also important to note that for young developers, using numbers in asset names trips the filter very frequently.

2 Likes

Any announcement or update on this? I sometimes upload decals or want to use decals of my own or others and I cannot see what size it is at all, this is bothersome a lot.

I don’t even know my decal sizes at all in most cases, so having toolbox or properties for decals to show the size would be nice, instead of guesses and math.