The UGC catalog in its current state is already disastrous. Reconsider, Roblox is NOT ready for UGC to go public

Foreword: This feature request is not intended to call out users, but to present scenarios that have occurred with a private UGC catalog of about 2,000 members. The purpose is to provide a rationale for why both Roblox as a company, and UGC creators will struggle to handle a public UGC catalog, and why such a change would significantly harm members of the UGC community, both financially and personally.

As a Roblox developer and UGC creator, it is currently too difficult to have enough faith in Roblox to allow for a major change like a public UGC catalog. There are several significant points to consider that Roblox, in its current state with a UGC catalog with approximately 2,000 members, is unable to address. These reasons would be amplified if UGC were made public.

For context, and main reasoning behind this feature request, is that as part of their Roadmap, Roblox announced that the UGC catalog would go public, allowing anyone to upload avatar items in “late 2023.” This feature request will delve into why this is a bad idea and serve as a plea to Roblox to reconsider this decision.

Section 1: Blatant copies of existing items and copyright infringement

This is the most frequently raised concern from what I have observed, and for good reason. There have been instances where certain users intentionally violate the rules by uploading copied content, either for attention or to disrespect and spread hate towards creators who put time and effort into creating unique items, or as a diss towards the trading community. The issue lies not only with these individuals, but also with Roblox moderation, as they allow such items to clear moderation and made available on the platform. This problem is exacerbated by the fact that these violations often gain substantial traction on social media. It indicates that Roblox is neglecting the community and struggling to address even the most prominent examples. Once these items become public and are available for purchase, it often takes months, if not longer, for any moderation action to be taken. As per the feature request guidelines, here are examples of items that have passed moderation and were briefly or are currently available on the catalog.

It’s important to keep in mind that this section aims to demonstrate that these items can pass moderation, and the situation would worsen with a public UGC catalog. While occasional slip-ups are expected, the fact that these items pass moderation consistently and it often takes months for any action to be taken indicates that such incidents would increase exponentially with public UGC. We have already witnessed this in a controlled environment, where as more people are accepted into the UGC catalog, more slip-ups occur.

As per the feature request guidelines, here are examples of some severe cases, which were personally observed by myself, involving blatant copies or copyright infringements that were previously, or are presently available on the catalog:

Example 1: Copies of the “____ess of the Federation” series.
image image

Example 2: Identical mesh and recolour of the “Dominus” series’ hood.
image image

Example 3: A blank white-coloured head mesh with the “Glowing Red Eyes” face.

Example 4: Copies of the “):” baseball cap series.
imageimageimageimage

Example 5: Identical meshes and recolours of the “Supa Fly Cap” and “Supa Dupa Fly Cap” items (courtesy of @PeakUGC on Twitter).

Example 6: The June 20th Incident; copies of various items, including the “Dominus” series, “The Dog Whisperer”, the “Sparkle Time Fedora” series, “Helm of the Element” series, “Red Tango”.
imageimageimageimageimage

Example 7: Other reuploads of the bands, and complete full copies from the “Sparkle Time Fedora” series (courtesy of @PeakUGC on Twitter).

Example 8: Nearly if not completely infringing on “Minecraft”'s intellectual property.
image imageimageimage

Example 9: Infringing on “Monster Energy”'s intellectual property.
image image

Example 10: Copies of the “Epic Face”, and “Epic Vampire Face” items.
imageimageimage

Example 11: Copies of “The Void Star”.
image image image image

Example 12: Blatant reuploads of Roblox faces on long tube meshes.
imageimageimageimageimage

Example 13: Blatant copies of intellectual property owned by different companies/movies/TV shows

Section 2: Oversaturation, discoverability, and the financial Impact

This is a point that many people have raised regarding Roblox as a whole; not exclusive to the UGC catalog, but they do still occur: the issues of oversaturation and discoverability. Currently, it is already extremely difficult for individuals to generate profit through the UGC program due to the sheer number of creators producing various items. The concern is not solely about the abundance of creators but rather the potential exacerbation of this issue if UGC were to become publicly available. Frequently, multiple variations of the same item are created by different people due to the difficulty of generating creative ideas while respecting others’ intellectual property.

Numerous participants in the UGC program rely on it as a source of income and are already experiencing the financial effects resulting from a growing UGC community. Personally, I am fortunate to have alternative means of earning money on the platform. However, I empathize with individuals who specialize in creating accessories on Roblox, only to realize that all their hard work will soon be overshadowed by a flood of inexperienced asset creators, stolen content from other platforms (which we already observe), and instances of plagiarism and copyright infringement.

Today, sponsors (which are often hinted at as the best solution for discoverability by Roblox), for UGC items are essentially useless. Have you heard of the saying “the rich get richer”? That is precisely what we witness today, however that claim will intensify if the UGC catalog becomes public. Individuals with substantial amounts of disposable Robux will be able to spend disproportionately large sums to guarantee sales, while those who are already severely impacted by public UGC will find themselves in an even deeper hole, where Roblox becomes an unsustainable and unstable platform for earning money.

Now, in order to substantiate these claims, the following items and statistics were created and provided by various members of the UGC program who have given permission to share these statistics publicly.

Courtesy of @dvdko

Courtesy of @yell0wfire

Courtesy of @borringthomas

While there are more examples of UGC discoverability issues, these images demonstrate that the discoverability of UGC items is already incredibly difficult unless you are willing to spend a disproportionately large amount of Robux to inflate the number of views and purchases your item receives. Hundreds of thousands or even millions of views only to get at most ten clicks is absurd.

I am not an economist, but it goes without saying that with an increase in the number of items available (supply) and no corresponding increase in the amount of Robux in circulation, the distribution of Robux per person will inevitably decrease. Again, the decline in earnings will be extremely drastic, potentially leading to a decrease in income by thousands of percent or even more if UGC is made public.

Section 3: Content depicting rule-violating content

This section highlights the issue of Roblox’s difficulty in cracking down on content that portrays rule-violating material. Currently, there is a plethora of UGC accessories/3D clothing that violate Roblox’s Terms of Service. Personally, I have come across several common violations, including:

• Content depicting or related to exploiting
  • Content depicting off-site gambling and the unauthorized selling of limited items/Robux (black market selling)
  • Hate speech
  • Drug-related content

For instance, the following items depict references to “Andrew Tate,” an individual known for controversial actions such as misogyny and convictions for offences like human trafficking. It is important to note that I am not here to debate his actions; however, these items violate the terms of service as they reference a notorious individual. To dwell on the irony of this issue, even his name is censored if used in chat or on user profiles.
imageimage

Additionally, the following item depicts an exploit GUI:

Furthermore, the following items (note that the necklace has been deleted, but the signs remain on the catalog, albeit archived) reference the off-site limited gambling site RBXFlip:

Lastly, the following item depicts a reference to marijuana:

You might wonder why I’m complaining and not reporting the items. I have reported them, particularly those from the first example. I provided the mods (though the term “mods” should be taken with a grain of salt as it is unclear whether they are real people) with an explanation of what the items were referencing and a brief overview of the individual’s actions. However, months later, these items are still available on the platform.

Section 4: Opposition to a public UGC catalog

The final point is that from what I’ve observed, the vast majority is currently in opposition of UGC going public. Roblox, you often acknowledge that developers (in this case UGC creators), are the “lifeblood of your platform” and that everything players have ever done and will do in the future is as a result of our contributions. Therefore, it is of utmost importance that you listen to us. No one within the UGC program is looking forward to the transition of public access to the UGC catalog. I have witnessed numerous individuals, both within and outside the program, express concerns about the potential decline in quality once UGC goes public.

By all means, the current application process, with its waiting period for acceptance or rejection, may not be perfect, but it serves the purpose of filtering out the majority of bad actors who would use the UGC program to upload rule-violating content.

Section 5: Closing

I suck at conclusions but I’ll try my best.

As a final plea, and to close this post, I urge Roblox, as a platform, on behalf of myself and countless other members of the community, to reconsider and delay this change until you can assure us that the catalog can be effectively moderated and that discoverability is no longer an issue. And on a sidenote (but ironically most importantly), in the future, involve us in the decision-making process and seek our feedback before implementing changes that could be detrimental to the financial situations of many individuals.

Anyway those are all my thoughts on this issue. Hopefully it sparks some change but it is what it is. Peace.

120 Likes

All the issues in this post are very real and actual issues that somehow are occuring. Not only that, someone recently uploaded a Kleos Aphtition to UGC, just with a darker texture. And those who were behind it, are now claiming that they will soon upload a black Dominus, white Domino Crown, white Void Star, a darker Purple Sparkle Time Fedora, and a Rainbow Shaggy with a different texture.

At this point, Roblox should just get the first wave of UGC creators appointed as QA, since their current “QA” clearly do not know what Roblox’s original hats are and what the limiteds are.

22 Likes

I’m still surprised that a lot of developers are finding out very late about the intention to go public with the UGC accessory catalog since it was stated that this was the plan from day one of the private program’s release. That being said, while I understand the vision, I think it still needs more time on the drawing board or there needs to be continued, stronger, scalable ways to verify creators and provide developers with tools.

If a private program, even before the creator program increased, was incapable of controlling themselves from making absurd assets to capitalise off of the closedness of the program (I am still very upset about the creation of giant avatar-covering assets and how long it took before we could check a MeshPart’s size to guard against it), I have fears about what may end up on the catalog.

At this point, my level of frustration and lack of deeper accessory tooling/requirement for UGC accessory creators to add information that we can check as developers is at an all time high and I’ve taken measures from automatically deleting assets with a volume larger than around 1-2 studs cubed or based on the individual XYZ size components all the way to entirely disabling website avatars. In the worst of cases, I have considered creating a database that tracks deletions and goes as far as to ban specific creators’ assets from wear in my experience entirely if they’ve had enough of their assets deleted.

As a developer, the lack of ability to rein in UGC accessory creators is my only issue with a public UGC accessory catalog, and developers need the tools to address this issue first and foremost before I stand by any decision to go public. Once we have that tooling, I have no more issues. I don’t know what kind of tooling we should get to this extent or any thoughts on how to get this rolling, but at the very least I need to make some noise about recognising this as an active problem.

19 Likes

Ah yeah you’re right, I adjusted the title, I’m not opposed to it going public entirely but currently as it stands, without any implementations of solutions (although we don’t know for sure what happens behind the scenes but the lack of transparency also isn’t great
) to issues that we see today with a gated community, Roblox is not ready for a public UGC catalog.

Yep, the person who uploaded it was told by several UGC members not to upload for other individuals unless they could trust those people, but proceeded to do it anyway (having just gotten accepted into UGC at that
). The original post took a few days to draft which was why I didn’t include that scenario, but yes I saw on twitter that they were planning on uploading waaay more copies of limiteds. The uploader was allegedly going to be the same person who uploaded Kleos, so do with that information what you will.

Regardless the biggest problem here is that the fact that these copies can so consistently clear moderation (as well as other rule-violating content, but those would require knowledge of external references so I guess I would expect those to clear more frequently).

9 Likes

I agree with everything in this post. The UGC program in its current state is a trainwreck, and I’d argue paints this entire platform in a bad light as a result. Just a few years ago, you wouldn’t see people going around in games covered head-to-toe in accessories that are copyright-infringing, game-breaking, or both simultaneously. Now, however, that’s just the norm.

The combination of oversized UGC items and over/undersized Rthro packages has made banning certain clothing items from competitive or semi-competitive games a necessity, which is a problem that has never really existed before. It also isn’t exactly an easy fix, due to the fact there are always more potentially game-balance-breaking items being uploaded every day.

While I’ve never thought highly of the limited market myself (currently trying to deal with Roblox’s support teams to undo a hack that was all because of the stupid rare hats
), allowing people to just create their own virtually indistinguishable knockoffs of rare items is not a good idea, especially on Roblox’s end. Limited items could be easily devalued by people flooding the markets with much cheaper, if not free in the case of that one recent Dominus clone, bootlegs; this cannot be good for Roblox’s ‘economy’.

The copyright-infringing items. personally, drive me crazy. Sure, this platform is no stranger to users violating copyright laws, but it’s never been as in-your-face, spitting-directly-into-your-eye until now. Everywhere you turn now, there’s people wearing questionable-quality heads ripping off characters from whatever horror game the kids are into or items that are literally just giant PNGs of Saul Goodman. It looks ridiculous, and if it continues at its current pace I honestly wonder if Roblox will get in legal trouble over this, for people are making Roblox money by buying items depicting copyrighted material. The last thing this site needs is another disastrous duct-tape “fix” to a copyright issue (looking at you, last year’s audio update
).

I really hope your post, and the many similar ones like it, show someone at Roblox just how badly the UGC program is messing up due to its poor moderation, and how opening it up to everyone would be a horrible idea.

11 Likes

I have no idea how anyone at Roblox could believe UGC should ever go public. They’ve been almost completely unable to moderate their clothing, audios, decals, ads, models, plugins, and chat for years and years and now decide it’d be smart to make their issues 10x worse.

I think UGC is fine but as they’ve slowly started making the program easier to get into its made it obvious its not a good idea to keep increasing accessibility. I went onto the catalog home page just now and saw 14 items that are either direct copies of existing Roblox items or could be copyright, and it just feels like the audio catalog all over again

What’s happening now is really only the tip of the iceberg, it’d only really get worse as it went on. I’m sure eventually every Roblox limited would have a close to exact ugc copy and there’d just be too many for anything to be done about them (which is already starting to happen now). I really hope the team can come to their senses and realize they need to stop before it’s too late

8 Likes

As a Valk owner, this hurts a lot because everytime I go to the catalog, and all I could see is a bunch of Valk copies. What annoys me the most is that some of the UGC Valks are Limited and people are selling it.

It’s not just the Valks that got copied, but also Domini (All Dominus Collection), Domino Crowns or other expensive Limiteds that got copied and created for a cash-grab. How can ROBLOX allow this to happen without properly checking the creator’s item before approving it and either letting them make the item Limited or not, including to check if their UGC is copied or not?

I don’t think it’s a good idea to make UGC public for everyone at this time because UGC is currently a mess at the moment, due to the items being either copied from Limiteds, characters from franchises, etc. What ROBLOX should be doing right now is to erase all of the UGC copied items completely, and kick the UGC creators who started this mess in the first place (the UGC copied items outbreak).

3 Likes

ĐžĐ·ĐŸĐ±Ń€Đ°Đ¶Đ”ĐœĐžĐ”
It’s MORE than just not ready.
Some ppl had audacity to straight up rip the capes from Minecraft and upload them to roblox.

1 Like

Just sit back and relax. This mess will continue to get out of control, until one day, any one of these stolen items ends up getting the attention of a large company and a copyright lawsuit is filed.

This will easily become another “audio privacy” update, with Roblox being forced to take ALL UGC offline due to said lawsuit until they only allow verified creators to return.

7 Likes

UGC is great, but recently it has felt like an instant upload tool. I thought UGC was reviewed by actual humans and that’s why it took so long to put up? At this point, hundreds of “creators” are uploading a day and it seems like they have given up on proper moderation, similar to voice chat.

1 Like

Well, unfortunately today at RDC it was announced that public UGC was happening this month, which frankly is nothing short of disheartening to say the least. It seems that as time goes on the UGC catalog becomes even more of a cesspool with so many limited copies and rule-violating content being uploaded for the public to see. This has gotten even more apparent with the addition of bundles, items that are created to copy the “Headless Head” head are even being uploaded.

Sadly it appears this plea is futile, however I still want to reiterate on the points that I made that are becoming even more prevalent to maybe at least get a response and some insight as to how Roblox is planning on tackling these issues

The number of limited/highly coveted items being uploaded has seemed to exponentiate since the original creation of this post. I cannot begin to fathom how Roblox expects to tackle a public UGC catalog when a private program with ~1000 members cannot accurately be moderated.

There are still a plethora of issues that exist as well that we still don’t have a resolution for as a private community that I want to share.
1- Moderation is abhorrent. This speaks for itself. There is a plethora of items that are either IP-infringing, sexually suggestive, or otherwise rule-violating. I’m not here to debate who owns rights to what because frankly I couldn’t care any less. The fact of he matter is that many of these items are straight up copies of valuable items/highly sought after items that are intended to abuse the limits of moderation. Here are some screenshots of what appear when I go to the catalog (names hidden of course). Many of these items have been up for >1 month which means the creator has made money off of it.

2- There is NO appeal system system for UGC. Once your item is declined you can email support but most if not 100% of the time you WILL NOT get a response. Speaking from experience. I tried uploading an item with Chinese characters, my assumption is that this is the reason it was taken down but because I received no response I have no idea whether it was moderation messing up or if it was actually these characters, but I digress. My email has stagnated for several weeks so it is safe to assume I will not get a response. I’ve tried dming mod review requests as well to no avail.

3- Advertising/promotion of items is fruitless. Worsened by the 13+ only ads update, advertising UGC items is impossible because your ads will be overshadowed by those who spend disproportionately high amounts of currency promoting their items. The CPC is extremely high and the CTR is extremely low. Since then, I received another DM depicting how advertising is fundamentally broken.
(Courtesy of @meepcell)

I’m hoping for at least a response or something elaborating on how Roblox plans on moderating these items because frankly Roblox is digging their own grave at this point. It goes without saying that if Roblox can’t even handle moderating a private catalog, there is no way they are going to be able to moderate a public one, and to me it appears that Roblox could actually get into legal trouble for this because they seem to be allowing this rule-violating content on the platform with no repercussions.

6 Likes

Literally said EXACTLY this in my own post. Seems weird how identical it is.

Bump Bump Bump Bump Bump Bump Bump Bump Bump Bump

So as another update, publicizing the UGC catalogue seems to have been postponed until early 2024. Between now and then the announcement claims Roblox will begin to be transparent with respect to moderation and such which largely is what my original post outlined.

I am hoping between now and then that Roblox will continue to address issues mentioned here and elsewhere on the forum.

That being said, I’m not going to mark this post as closed yet as there are still some issues mentioned which haven’t been addressed/afaik have no plans to be addressed yet (as a reminder):

1- No appeal line for rejected assets
2- QA does not reject any reuploads of 1:1 copies of Roblox-created limiteds down, just broken down into several parts, and sometimes entire 1:1 copies being made in a single part.
3- QA does not take into account context when assets that reference inappropriate topics are created.
4- Sponsoring UGC assets is fundamentally redundant unless you have enough disposable income to inflate the number of times your asset is shown.

I am in UGC myself and I know for a fact it’s not ready to go public yet. The amount of limited copies, copyrighted content, items copied from other creators, items being put into the incorrect sections and so on is pretty sad. I genuinely do not think public UGC will be ready for months. It is 100 percent not ready in its current state. I genuinely hope Roblox will rethink their decision to make it public this month. Seeing as how it’s already been pushed back multiple times it is possible it’ll be pushed back once more. The change of making all UGC items into limited’s is also another huge and terrible issue in my opinion, but if that’s the direction they are going in then whatever. But the public UGC REALLY needs to be pushed back, it is NOT ready in the slightest.

1 Like

Just so you know it’s been pushed back to early 2024

we plan to open up creation of our 3D Marketplace in early 2024 instead of later this year as originally planned

I do own some UGC, but never really liked it. I’m quoting this from my twitter.

"I think UGC accessories is stupid, and people are getting away with the creation of fake items that totally resemble real and costly items by roblox.

People are making profit on things that were originally by roblox, and highly wanted."

What I mean by making profit on things that were originally by roblox, are the recreation of items like Dominuses, Valkyries, and whatnot. The screenshot shows someone who owns a fake ugc dominus.

1 Like

I’m going to be honest with you, at this point, I don’t think Roblox will step away from its plan to make UGC uploads public.

No matter what, as much as we don’t want it happening, I feel like such things will always be uploaded throughout history. Slips are going to always occur like how exploiters and trollers slip through experiences, do you understand what I’m saying? I don’t think there’s no definite (fully preventable) solution to this issue. I don’t want to imagine the exponential growth of how many copies there’ll be once UGC uploading is public.

I feel like the best way to lessen such uploads or to stop them from being sold ASAP is by creating/developing a report abuse feature specifically for UGC accessories; one that asks where the original content is from. At the very least, the accessories will eventually get deleted like what happens to Roblox limited copies, in my own experience.

Roblox uses the DMCA process as a solution, but the DMCA filer has to be the uploader of the original content. What are the chances of someone or some organization noticing themselves being ripped off on a game called Roblox though, it’s not a great solution. Consumers should be able to speak up as well - consumers turn out to be the reporters of IP infringememt most of the time on Roblox.

But like I said
I want to be real here, copiers will never disappear like how scammers, exploiters, trollers etc. won’t (yes they can disappear by being moderated but I’m trying to say the rule violation itself won’t).

2 Likes

Personally, I like when variations (not copies) of limiteds are made in UGC since it allows people to access types of accessory items they’ve always desired but were limited to affluent RTC members, which is a boon for equality and the value of your robuck.

However, Roblox shouldn’t make UGC public but go the opposite direction: limit access to distributing experiences, dev assets, and marketplace items. Essentially, people should either register for verification with Roblox to release assets to the public or submit their assets for manual approval through a greenlighting system from which only verified creators are exempt. This type of system would help promote a higher diversity of games due to fewer but higher quality uploads instead of 10+ billion dead games and many spam items.

And reselling a limited ugc item takes a 50% fee???
This makes it impossible to resell your items without taking a loss.
Charging a 50% fee to sell your item means you have to sell the item for at least double of what you bought it for just to make your money back, meaning limited ugc prices will just skyrocket until nobody buys the item but that is okay, because all ugc is just copies of the same few things over and over and over