The Volumetric Sounds Beta is Here

Best example would be think of an Aircraft. Sounds of the engine howling or spooling are audiable clearly from the front of the plane: Qatar Airways A350-941 powerfull Trent XWB sound!! - 4K - YouTube Once it goes past however and the front of the engine is no longer visible to the eye(Where the spinning spiral and turbine can be seen) you only hear rushing air from the engine Exhaust. Ideally how this update I’d assume is that you can make sound play forward of an object, picture a green arrow that indicates where the sound plays clearly towards, anything else not pointing directly towards that arrow will see the sound start to reduce/ lose clarity as per real world.

3 Likes

Awesome update. You just removed the need for me to calculate the volume of a sound based on the position in a map (done with maths). Excellent work!

This is literally amazing!!
Great work with this feature!!!

I assume this will replace the current behavior when it’s rolled out fully, no?

It seems the classic behavior will be preserved when using attachments.

Is this opt-in only for Studio, or will it be implemented in-game now as well?

This is amazing! I actually have been waiting for this update a long time ago!

It’s late but better than never.

1 Like

This update is great! I cant wait to use this in my game.

Welcome to dolby atmos.

(30carat)

Making good ambient noise has always been pretty difficult and tedious to add(especially general ambient like distant sirens in a city). This change is awesome!!! :smiley:

Amazing! I had to use plugins and scripts before to do something similar. This definitely will improve people their experiences, and make it more immersive. Thanks!

Spectacular! Very important to have great sounds to go with great games. Can’t wait for this new feature to become public available to all.

This was much needed. It’s a seemingly minor feature which always baffled me, and likely many others, with its absence. Excellent update. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I saw the word “Volumetric” and got excited thinking its volumetric lighting.

Oh well, this is still cool tho, definitely useful for many games

1 Like

Maybe you could have multiple parts with sound instances in them with the max distance set to 0, so that only people inside can hear the sounds and so that it doesn’t sound like it’s coming from any direction. You could also try using something like a SpecialMesh to bypass size limits, although I’m not sure if this supports it.

I hope they increase the 2048 stud limit one day so that we don’t have to resort to band-aid fixes like this.

1 Like

I’d love to see Steam Audio implemented.

1 Like

This is an awesome update can’t wait to use this on my new game.

1 Like

I would love to see this!

…not paired with another horrendous audio asset update…

8 Likes

I’m still waiting for volumetric echo to be possible. The current one isn’t really echo, it just repeats the noise.

1 Like

This is great but, it’d be better if it wasn’t being destroyed by roblox’s new audio update.

8 Likes