"Theft of Game Content Using saveinstance()"

Hello, my game has been stolen using saveinstance(). Someone downloaded all the models of my game without my permission, and I know many other developers are facing the same issue.

Why doesn’t Roblox take action to prevent the use of saveinstance() for stealing game content? This issue harms developers’ efforts and negatively impacts the entire Roblox community.

1 Like

because it isn’t a native roblox method?

1 Like

I get that saveinstance() isn’t a native Roblox method, but players can still use it to steal game content. This is a big security issue for us developers. Any recommended security measures or best practices to protect our games from this?

privating your game is an effective method against saveinstance

1 Like

Im sorry, but there isnt anything you can do. At least saveinstance() doesn’t copy scripts.

1 Like

There isnt much you can do about that, as anything available to the client can be stolen.
Your only real patch is to avoid the essentials from being given to the client as much as possible.

Dont tell him…

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

I understand your point, but it’s important to note that saveinstance() does indeed copy client-side scripts and, more significantly, it replicates all models and GUI elements of the map. This can still pose a serious issue for developers trying to protect their game assets.

Wow.

I’ll say im “contributing to the open-source community” then proceed to not change my code to be mostly server-sided! :smile: :+1:

1 Like

The client needs the map information and scripts in order to run the game, there isn’t too much Roblox could do against this. It’s for similar reasons that game piracy exists

2 Likes

You can steal any content from any UGC source. This is an inherit side effect of streaming/downloading any content to the client. This is not up to Roblox to fix, because it is impossible to do that in the first place.

You can literally buy Minecraft or any locally installed indie game from a game hosting platform (e.g., Steam) and redistribute it to a thousand other people in 100% working condition. You can download and reupload any YouTube video. Heck, if you want, you can distribute your own operating system (Windows can cost upwards of 300 dollars!).

Is it an issue? Of course. But it’s not an issue that’s going to be solved anytime soon. Roblox is doing their due diligence creating an anticheat to prevent external programs from accessing the game state. Unfortunately for us, there is no anti-cheat that is 100% bulletproof. A bypass is inevitable.

2 Likes

i actually dont care about my game being stolen as much as im scared that some exploiter might save instance and then look for ways to bypass my anti cheat

2 Likes

Unfortunately, there is nearly no way to prevent this type of thing happening.

Although it really only gets anything replicated to the client which leaves ServerScriptService & ServerStorage untouched. Scripts that run on the server do get copied but just has no code in it. So just letting you know these type of stuff won’t get stolen other than everything else.