There is no explanation for the meaning of "Location" in the Localization Portal

Issue Description

I can’t find documentation, and no one so far has been able to explain:

What's the 'Location' field in the Localization Portal?

Issue Area: Documentation Content
Page URL: https://create.roblox.com/creations/experiences/1180285076/localization/translation?activeTab=strings

Is my reply below the original post not correct?

Thanks but no.
Therefore, as there is no official documentation about this field, I opened this report.

1 Like

I unfortunately don’t know what Context is since I haven’t found any which are filled (I’d guess server/client context but I have no clue), but Location is the full name of the Instance, aka its path, where the text was initially captured.

This is useful for toggling AutoLocalize on anything you don’t want being captured and just knowledge of what sort of text is being captured.

(In this pic, Location points to where this text was shown, and given this is used to display a player’s username, I know to disable AutoLocalize in the future)

I assume that is what you’re asking? But yes clearer documentation would be nice regardless, like a tooltip.

1 Like

https://create.roblox.com/docs/production/localization/localizing-with-scripting#using-context-overrides

I realize this, and it’s a very valuable field because with it I can analyze whether or not I should use AutoLocalize.
But I had doubts if it had any interference in the translations, like Context, but I don’t think so, which is just an informational field.

Anyway, it lacks documentation.

hey @rogeriodec_games. Here is the summary of what everything means. A lot of your posts are around some gaps in our documentation. We are reviewing our documentation for localization features as a whole.

Key: A unique identifier that can be used for getting a translation via lua APIs
Source: the source string seen in experience. ATC will scrape this. This is case sensitive and used by the auto localizer
Context: A location in your workspace tree. the auto localizer will use this information to match a translation when a duplicate source is encountered. Take the example word “back”. This could mean two things in english(a body part, or navigation). If you set a context value where that string is seen in experience then you can have a duplicate “back” source value with different translations.
Example: an example string to give context to manual translators. Helpful if you are hiring translators to manually translate your experience
Locations: locations the source string was seen when being scraped by ATC. This is meant as a helpful tool for you to see where the string is being encountered in experience. It has no impact on translation

A few things about the system today:

• Keys are unique to an entire table
  • Source/Context pairs must also be unique
  • Currently ATC does not set a context when scraping. This could change in the future when we get high confidence of variance in meaning depending on location
2 Likes