There's a new Robux icon!

I personally am not exactly satisfied by this change. I’m having a hard time grasping what this icon is supposed to mean (If it has any meaning to begin with…?)

To be fair, the only way this represents a currency at all is if you live in the UK and have a bunch of coins lying around. (As a US resident I don’t know how I thought this, but okay.)

https://www.royalmint.com/globalassets/the-royal-mint/images/pages/discover/uk-coins/2018-annual-sets/annual-sets-2018-discover-image1.jpg?width=2147483647

I would like to know how this symbol is supposed to make me think of Robux. With all the modernization and new icon it can get really complicated when all icons are just lines and circles.

Not the best change to the Roblox site. Rest in peace “R$”.

1 Like

They were probably going for a bolt (the top view of a bolt), since it resembles one of those. I can see why some people would be confused about what it is since it’s not very obvious and I didn’t know either.

Also, why is it gold on mobile. Just why.

1 Like

For anyone struggling with the .svg files:

Robux%20Icon%20White Robux%20Icon%20Dark Robux%20Icon%20Gold Robux%20Icon%20Dark%202

37 Likes

In my opinion, the new logo almost seems too ‘precious’ to spend. It’s literally the same currency, but something about it

It’s a really weird feeling. The logo makes it seem more valuable than an American dollar, making prices seem extremely high. I see how many un-Americanized countries don’t use paper money, but when you change it to be completely different, we’re all left in the dark. North America has been majority of your playerbase for years.
This does not look like money, like something I’ll voluntarily spend. It arbitrarily screams lugnut, not currency. I don’t feel Rocoins or Ronuts (although catchy) are the way to go here. At least not without a thorough redesign.

I greatly fear this will make advertising much more difficult in games. Robux hasn’t changed in value, but it seemingly has. Nobody’s gonna buy into a number that says “2,000” with a shiny golden nut thing next to it, but a lot of kids will if it’s Americanized money or a reassemblance; we understand the value of it. Most of us Americans have settled into our currency and economy and understand what we value. When you arbitrarily change that, it’s jarring to have to switch between radically different value systems. Think about the difference in systems such as Japanese yen vs Canadian dollars. It’s huge.
I have yet to see the implications of this change, but my theory still stands.

Firstly Cheez-Its, now lugnuts. I understand Roblox needs to be modernized and internationalized, but I feel this is a sad step in the wrong direction. There is no balance here.

I’d HIGHLY suggest what waylxn did, or something similar.

7 Likes

I feel as if some people are just looking too much into this as if there’s some deeper meaning to it. At the end of the day it’s still robux and people will pay for it if they want to buy something in the catalog or gamepasses for one of the many games.

Could it be better? Yeah, it could. This one still feels more unique to me than just a R$ though.

I like the design of it, but maybe you could make the new robux icon color a diamond color? And maybe change the name of robux to: BloxGems?

On its own I really like this icon, but as the other replies has said people would confuse it with the premium icon.

Just felt the need to mention that the OP has been updated to include this:

2 Likes

But why? What it motivate you (the Roblox team) to make new icon for Robux when the previous icon works very well and perfectly sense?

As mention in many previous replies above, it doesn’t represent Robux because it’s clearly looked like it’s an Roblox logo rather than an currency (Not sure if that was an intention). Also, because the icon represent “O” instead of “R”, meaning this might cause confusion with that.

It made me wonder about the Roblox team; have they ever considered currency’s representation, creative icon design (not the generic “O” icon), and what it mean to anyone?

Personally, I do not like this new icon design, it’s too generic, meaningless, and it looked like a bolt or a ancient Chinese coin. Could have improved with something that can represent Robux like “R” or “$” or just a green paper but in modern version.

1 Like

As a Newer Dev and a company that deals with Branding alot, I understand the value in change. Roblox is truly pushing the scope of what’s possible and continues to be on the cutting edge of this ever growing industry. The look and feel to a company is the most important aspect of a business, as people will learn to love and grow with the company. Even though Roblox is a few years old now the community is still young. We make up the few who have been on the platform and can see the tragectory of it’s changes. This form of branding to me is not cheap or easy as I’m sure use case, public testing and focus groups were done long before the change so it was not a light decision. I also would like to point out that in our digital age with say Bitcoin and crypto this very much so aligns with today’s social acceptance. This now takes the old look R$ and gives it a class A brand representation. Think apple etc. Hope this helps.

3 Likes

I think this change could be useful for getting new users. When I first stumbled upon Roblox in 2008, I was confused by the site and thought everything was insanely expensive because I confused Robux for actual USD and immediately left.

this doesnt really look that bad tbh
i mean it does look weird and if i was a new player i wouldnt know it was an actual currency
however its not really the best logo ive ever saw either

I don’t mean to burst your bubble but that would be worthless for the engineers to implement as there is no “real” point for it to be added. It might just feel like a unneeded novelty.

1 Like

Well at least it could be there for people like me who can’t stand looking at it.

In a perfect world that might happen. However, it seems pretty unlikely they will ever do it sadly.

An unnecessary and useless update, the old icon is fine and recognizable. This new one looks like an iron nut.

Consider putting time & resources into useful changes/updates instead of this.

4 Likes

I’m personally against this change, alongside quite a few other changes to the website. As has been stated before, this icon blends in too well and doesn’t make it obvious that it signifies a currency. As for other changes to the website, I dislike the recent lack of color. I’m here on Roblox, not on the monochrome iOS settings app. Another example of unnecessary change is changing from Builder’s Club to Premium - Builder’s Club is great for the website’s theme, while Premium could be used for any website.

Edit: The monochrome iOS settings-like look leads me to think that a lot of websites are slowly shifting towards having this annoying “mobile-like” look on desktop platforms. Look at the new Twitter website, for example. Too much space wasted with unnecessarily large buttons, it somehow just screams “mobile” to me. Roblox is slowly moving towards this, and I personally dislike it.

TL;DR website has become too monochrome, this and the change to Premium were unnecessary.

3 Likes

The new symbol looks more like a currency in a Star Wars game. Looking at it makes me feel like there’s a way to earn more but there’s not so I feel like every single robux in my account is extremely valuable like if I had a bunch of rare coins or something. Maybe there will be ways to earn robux like maybe they’d bring back daily login rewards. They’d get a lot more players who would then spend more money on Roblox stuff.

2 Likes

When I first saw the new Robux icon on the site, I refreshed a few times as I was certain it was either some kind of one-time glitch or that Roblox had replaced the Robux currency name to something else until I clicked on it and realized that it wasn’t a glitch but was the new Robux icon.

I personally do not like the way the new Robux logo looks, it doesn’t fit in with the other icons on the site and I’m still wondering how on earth a hexagon is associated with any type of currency or money. I could not even recognize the icon at first.

I know I’m late to the party but I actually have something original to say if that helps.

Why is the icon golden and skeuomorphic on the mobile app but white and flat on the website?

App:

Site:

Also, it’s more obvious it’s currency on the app but the realistic design looks weird next to those flat icons.

17 Likes