There's a new type of Medium article in town! 🤠

Howdy developers,

We’re always looking for new ways to showcase the incredible things that you accomplish on our platform. We like to post Developer Spotlights to our Medium publication in which we get to know the developers through interview-style questions and answers.

We like the way these articles can bring some visibility to developers, but we want to spice them up a bit. What better way of doing that than getting down to the deep details of the technical aspects of Roblox development?

In short, and in true UGC fashion, we want to give you the opportunity to write the articles. You determine what to talk about; we will help you along with the process, but we want to empower developers to write about what they enjoy doing.

Do you really like tracking analytics and looking for data trends among your players? Or maybe you have an intimate understanding of our physics engine. Perhaps you know game design really well. That’s awesome and we want you to share it with the world!

If you want to write an article on something you’re passionate about, please fill out this survey.

Thanks,
Developer Relations

119 Likes

Not so fast :eyes: ! Let’s take 15 minutes to digest this information :slight_smile:

47 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 14 minutes.

So, is this technical in terms of Roblox engine internals, technical in terms of digging into how games are scripted/structured, or both? :o

8 Likes

There are alot of things I can make a medium article on.

What should it be about :eyes: ?

2 Likes

We’re looking for articles pertinent especially to Roblox developers, but they can also be more broadly applicable to game design in general.

If you’re not sure what we’re looking for, feel free to submit multiple ideas!

10 Likes

How do I subscribe? I can I know where there is a new interesting article and beneficial for me to read?

4 Likes

This is a really good idea. Allows for some users with really specific talents to indulge on what makes them tick and keep going on the platform. Also provides a built-in public audience for these users to get their information as wide spread as possible.

Nothing but positives all around for this. :+1:t2:

8 Likes

So we will be able to show off our specialties? Awesome. I love seeing the amazing things done every day here and would love to see more.

5 Likes

You can follow our Medium here: https://medium.com/@robloxdevrel

We’ll also release tweets at https://twitter.com/robloxdevrel every time we publish an article :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I reckon entering a similar survey before.
Do these survey answers count? :thinking:

Also, is it possible to write more personal stories? Or does it have to be something people can ‘learn’ from per say?

1 Like

I’m sorry to bother you, but would it be okay to do the survey for a future article?

Like if there’s something I wanted to talk about, for example the revisions of games with long development time, but wanted to do it in the future, could I fill out the survey and create an article at a later date?

2 Likes

Yes! The articles will be written at the developer’s pace, we won’t be assigning hard deadlines.

2 Likes

At this time, no. In the future, maybe I will crawl through the responses of that older survey.

We’d prefer if there’s something for other developers to learn from your article, but that’s up to you. Worst that can happen is you apply with an idea and we decide it’s not what we want to showcase right now.

3 Likes

I pitched mine about the Rōbux-scamming industries (there are two separate industries that are on my mind).

So I have a question.

As someone who writes a lot about of technical and explanative posts, what is the advantage of having a post on medium?

I have written and posted in a lot of places and medium was one of the worst places to post technical topics. This is mostly because it doesn’t really allow for discussion of the topic with readers. The devforum/discourse on the other hand is great in that regard as users can directly respond to and ask questions about the topic. It also allows me to add new information/edit things if need be.

So in short; why post to medium when i could just stay comfy here in an arguably better environment for technical posts?

12 Likes

This is a great opportunity and I’m glad Roblox offers this. I have read nearly all of the articles and they are all very interesting and can teach you something too.

2 Likes

A question: if our pitch gets rejected, would we be notified or emailed?

1 Like

Awesome! I may have some articles around here somewhere! I take lots of notes.

1 Like