Thinking of a 2D game. but how would it work?

hello! right now i am currently thinking of a game that takes place as a 2D survival game where the player and some friends can team up and has to survive by gathering resources and defending themselves from incoming enemies and battling bosses.

I was inspired to make something similar to the popular 2D survival game Terraria (its not on roblox) since it was one of my favorite games to play since childhood and was so fun to play with other people.

some thoughts i thought up that could work

• I could freeze the camera so it would look like a 2D game
  • I can restrict some of the players movement so it can only go left and right
  • i can make some basic blocks that can be used as “Trees” or “dirt ground”

problems that might happen and idk how i should make this

• since it’s a 2D game would i use 3D models? or some kind of other stuff?

I will keep adding to the list above as more things i could think of.
since im so scripter i don’t know what could be the problems with scripts so if you scripters out their could help please do so.

2 Likes

There are some pre-made 2D runner templates that you can access in Roblox Studio. Go File > Open from Roblox, then go to Gameplay and you should see two gameplays, one called “Line Runner” and the other “Infinite Runner”. You can use these as a starting point and modify it to make it yours.

4 Likes

not what im talking about. Im talking about like how would i do it. would i use some type of 3D model to make the enemies or some other type of thing.

I have a project on the back burner rn that is basically a 2D game. The camera is locked above the player, basically killing the Y dimension. You could do the same here. Lock the camera Left-right of the player, killing the X axis.

Im not sure if you saw but i already stated this in my post about freezing the camera and locking some movements of the player

I don’t think there is any other way to do it than that, unless you wanted to make a GUI only game, which sounds like a migraine in it’s own right considering the type of game you want to make.

Nah. making it GUI only would be a pain. plus wouldn’t be much fun since im a 3D modeler anyways. so im guessing i would make the game consist of “3D models” but still be in like a 2D view. Super smash bros ultimate did a similar concept to it where they used 3D models but used a camera at a 2D angle.

1 Like

Hello, I’m in the middle of making my own 2D game on Roblox, and I’m using a camera script that’s been working wonders. Just make sure to have this in a local script in StarterPlayerScripts. I hope this helps.

local player = game.Players.LocalPlayer
local camera = workspace.CurrentCamera
player.CharacterAdded:Wait()
player.Character:WaitForChild("HumanoidRootPart")
camera.CameraSubject = player.Character.HumanoidRootPart
camera.CameraType = Enum.CameraType.Attach
camera.FieldOfView = 51
game:GetService('RunService').Stepped:Connect(function()
    camera.CFrame = CFrame.new(player.Character.HumanoidRootPart.Position) * 
    CFrame.new(0,0,30)
end)
2 Likes