Tips on avoiding being scammed

Hi there! I’m xJxck_yy, a Builder, UI designer and businessman on the platform. Here are some of my tips on how to not get scammed. These will be applicable in basically all forms of business on Roblox.

1. Find out some history on who you are hiring/working for

If you haven’t worked with the employer or employee before, do a little bit of a Background check. See if they are in any mutual servers on discord, check out their Roblox and DevForum profiles, etc. This is one way of making sure they are legitimate, and not trying to scam you.

2. Create a legally binding contract

For some things, this might be a little bit extreme (such as small, one time commissions), but it is often a great practice to ensure safety for both parties. It must be signed by someone who is 18+ (in most Jurisdictions, make sure to find out your local laws). If you are a minor, get your parent/guardian to sign it for you. Make sure you are using proper terms, and settings out agreements and expectations very clearly. Just to be safe, it might also be best to consult a Lawyer. This way, if a breach of contract arises, you have multiple options (not a lawyer, always consult one to be sure):

• Simply talking over the issue
  • Going to Roblox support (bad option, they only accept on-site evidence, and Roblox support is pretty bad overall)
  • Filing a Lawsuit
  • Going through Arbitration (you would most likely have to have an Arbitration clause in your contract, unless a judge dismisses the case, meaning you will probably have to go through Arbitration)
  • Settling out of court (sorta like point 1)

Remember, contracts can’t be drafted up over something like Discord (inspect element exists).

3. Getting straight to the point and good discussion

When hiring/looking for work, make sure when you are talking to the employer or employee, you both get straight to the point, and are both professional. I’m fairly confident you would be more comfortable working with someone who is professional to some degree, especially when meeting for the first time. Before talking over to many details, simply ask about payments and contracts. If they dodge the question (especially about payment), then you may have reason to be suspicious. Also work out a deal, for example: You complete 25% of the work, you get paid 25% of the total pay.

4. Getting proof of funds, having a team, etc.

In posts, a lot of people will state the members of their team. But, this could all be falsified! To ensure that they are telling the truth, ask them to invite you to a group chat, or a discord server, or something which contains enough evidence to suggest the team is legitimate. Also, ask for proof of funds. This way, you know that they actually have these funds, rather than them trying to mislead you. Also ask for audit log permissions and such, so you can see where the money is coming from. This way, you might be more eased knowing it all seems legitimate, rather than the funds coming from scams.

5. Be nice!

Being kind, professional and respectful can actually go a long way in employment. When initially interviewed or hired etc, they may actually be legitimate. But when you start talking rubbish, accusing them of stuff etc, they may get angry and try to mislead you, as some sort of revenge (although if you’re being rude, you would think they would dismiss you, but sometimes they don’t play nice).

Thats all I have for now, if you have any questions, comments or suggestions, make sure to let me know! :smiley:

29 Likes

This might sound really DUMB.
But most of the times, rude people, or lazy people that doesn’t types too much or something like
‘hi’
‘sure’
For my PAST experiences, it always result in scam.

Most of lazy people just ends up in blocking me or ignoring me when having to pay.

I know, this sounds dumb, but it’s just a fact, people that CARES about the way they talk, they are professional, respectful, says hi before talking about something else it seems like good!

10 Likes

I saw this and laughed. I’m going to be honest, anyone working with you probably doesn’t want to go into a contract with you, especially if they’re not the one initiating it. I presume stuff like this requires both parties to know personal information on each other and that is not something people will give up easily. You will probably find a lot of people laughing at you if you try to get them into a contract for your game.

Overall information looks good.

8 Likes

This point was more targeted for larger positions (such as high pay, long term etc). It just provides extra security which some people do want. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Among more experienced & older developers, contracts are actually incredibly common. They’re used in larger projects all the time, and can protect both the employer and employee from a variety of bad situations. Personally, I wouldn’t ever hire someone without having them sign a contract, nor would I work for something without signing a contract.

I would like to note that contracts can be broken, and it would cost a lot of money to pursue legal action if that were the case–regardless, though, having a legally-binding contract in place helps greatly in ensuring that all parties do as they promise.

2 Likes

One of my most important tips for anyone hiring or being hired is if you are the employee hired by the employer to make something for them, the rule is YOU have to be payed before you give it to them. If you dont stay true to this, you will be exposed to extreme chances of being scammed left and right.

The reason this is so is because if you give it to them before they give you the money, they can easily just scam you and not give you the money and run away with your item.
However, if you demand the money first, the worst that can happen is you can lose the deal with the employer and they dont pay you, but you have a completely made item to yourself, making you not waste your time.

In the long run, its way better to just demand the money first and lose your employer but have the item for yourself than to give in to what the employer says and have your work get stolen by them for free.

5 Likes

It certainly can cost a lot of money to pursue legal actions, although if you win the suit, chances are, you’ll make more than what you paid.

1 Like

Yeah, giving the item first is a ridiculously stupid move, even if contracts are involved.

1 Like

I agree with all of the above.
To avoid being scammed just on the website, don’t play the games that are wait in it.
Those are targeted for premium payouts
:smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for reading! Hope you liked it :smiley:

Hey I know I’m a bit late but if you were to pay first and then expect the item, couldn’t they just not give it to you?

Yes they could do that and I’ve yet to hear someone being punished for it.

You don’t, the entire asset marketplace, collaboration and recruitment medium isnt regulated at all. It’s a walk into the dark for all parties involved and if someone intents to scam you, chances are likely he/she will succeed and get away with it.

So I am assuming that background research on the person is the only way to somewhat ensure the asset at the end of the deal, knowing that breaking a deal will likely ruin a person’s reputation.

Also when hiring, do you typically get on like a vc with the person to gain trust, or are messages normally fine?

1 Like

Correct, always perform a background check because like you said, it will somewhat ensure the asset being given to you at the end of the deal.

Based on my previous experience with clients and recruiters, you can somewhat use a voice-call as a way to know if the person on the other end is trustable or not, but messages also work too.

What do I mean by this? Well, I’ve noticed that people with great knowledge, competent know-how of the English language and always keep it formal, are the people who are usually the ones you can trust.

So let’s say you’re dealing with a person, whose English is quite bad. My advice to you is to pass that opportunity and seek another client. Why? It is usually those people with sub-par English that are not trustable, lazy, time-wasters or will not meet the requirements set by you.

2 Likes

Good luck trying to enforce such a contract. Literally no law enforcement is going to bother looking into a contract created by minors which goes over something trivial like ROBLOX collaboration and recruitment.

2 Likes

It is these sorts of situations that create a market for a broker, someone who is impartial and holds items until all parts are presented and then gives to recipient. A middle man if you will.

With established credibility as an organization/individual, two unrelated parties might both feel safer trusting someone whos bottom line requires a good reputation more than a random person.

The market is there if anyone wants to fill it. Normally take handling fees from transaction (1-5%)

Your statement isn’t necessarily true. Roblox is just viewed as a Gaming platform, and a Game Engine. You can have a legally binding contract if your parents sign on it (if you’re a minor). If it is broken, nevertheless, you have broken the terms of a legal contract, therefore, you can be sued.

You can’t really. But there is often a bigger chance of getting your stuff after paying. Why? Because the scammer probably doesnt have a use for what they have made, and they would have wasted their time making it.

1 Like