Toggle: Hide my private assets

A quote from this thread on why I want this:

[quote] It upsets me that I can make things like decals & audio for specific purposes that’ll give my game a nice artistic edge, and then people steal them and use them for the. Exact. Same. Purpose. Except this audio cue or graphical choice is in their game and my idea no longer feels original.

It takes away from my game and leaves the edge I had from a visual/audio stance out of my hands. I hate it. I’ve wanted non-free assets to be invisible if they aren’t yours for a long time.

At least make it an option - “Hide my private assets”. Please. [/quote]

I’d like a toggle in user settings or something that would disable other users from seeing our Decals, Audio, Models, and clothes unless they’re for sale or free. Maybe it could be “Public / Friends-only / Me only”?

I feel like making assets for your upcoming games hidden is important. ROBLOX is the only platform like this where the assets you make & upload are free for the world to see. Some of us make entire games from scratch, and some of us don’t like it when users can spoil themselves by peeking in our decals or audio. It’s also frustrating when people I know nab my art assets or custom SFX and use them for their own games without even asking me or caring that the asset in question isn’t for sale. And no, deleting them from our stuff & memorizing the ID is not a good solution to this issue.

12 Likes

I think simply hiding is just a start.
They shouldn’t be able to load em in the first place since it’s not their assets nor is it publicly available.

2 Likes

That better include hiding them from this:

:angry:

Yes this would be helpful. I understand that it doesn’t stop people from obtaining the assets, but it makes it a lot less convenient. One user I found using my decals thought they were free to take because “it’s what decals are for” . It could ward off users who don’t know any better if they aren’t freely displayed on my profile.

1 Like

[quote] That better include hiding them from this:

:angry: [/quote]

May as well trash the Library system, or get rid of the sounds section altogether.

Not unless you enjoy MLP remixes and Kanye West everytime you search up “gunshot” or “click”

1 Like

Lol, yeh I’ve even seen some of the assets I’ve made used in other people’s games and that makes ripull angry >:O

Aurarus, just stop.

The problem is, he’s right.

Existing problems are not justification for something to not happen. There are two uses for the audio library: one, it costs money to upload so it’s better to find a clip somebody else has already uploaded so you don’t have to pay, and two, you want to use ROBLOX as a medium to find your sounds.

Sounds should just be free to upload, and this is happening. Out goes the first use for the sound library.

As for the second reason, if it’s not free it’s not meant for you to use. The reason is the same as why others’ private models are not usable in your game, coupled with a bit more:

1. There are people who make their own audio and in this case you have no right to use it
  2. Looking through someone’s audio inventory can reveal future projects they’re working on
  3. Being able to sift through someone’s audio inventory easily allows you to re-create their game’s audio without flaws

I don’t even know why you’d want to use the ROBLOX library to search for sounds considering searching on ROBLOX is bare-bones and next to useless. You’d see much better results using a real search engine and be able to have advanced control over your search results (i.e. you can remove results with certain words - you could filter out kanye from gunshot and not have any results involving kanye, you can search by specific usage rights (so you can ensure it’s legal to use that audio in your game), and upload date). Regardless, sorry, but laziness and lack of motivation to use Google to find sound effects is not justification for other game developers to suffer the aforementioned problems.

1 Like

That was last posted on two months ago. Do you have any idea how close that is to being released? I know I don’t.

Do you expect “Hide private assets” to be released anytime soon either? Because it’s not going to be. We don’t disregard feature requests because something has yet to happen – we request them in an ideal world and the staff implement them to the best of their ability. Free sound uploads should obviously be implemented before or at the same time this is implemented.

2 Likes

[quote] Existing problems are not justification for something to not happen. There are two uses for the audio library: one, it costs money to upload so it’s better to find a clip somebody else has already uploaded so you don’t have to pay, and two, you want to use ROBLOX as a medium to find your sounds.

Sounds should just be free to upload, and this is happening. Out goes the first use for the sound library.

As for the second reason, if it’s not free it’s not meant for you to use. The reason is the same as why others’ private models are not usable in your game, coupled with a bit more:

1. There are people who make their own audio and in this case you have no right to use it
  2. Looking through someone’s audio inventory can reveal future projects they’re working on
  3. Being able to sift through someone’s audio inventory easily allows you to re-create their game’s audio without flaws

I don’t even know why you’d want to use the ROBLOX library to search for sounds considering searching on ROBLOX is bare-bones and next to useless. You’d see much better results using a real search engine and be able to have advanced control over your search results (i.e. you can remove results with certain words - you could filter out kanye from gunshot and not have any results involving kanye, you can search by specific usage rights (so you can ensure it’s legal to use that audio in your game), and upload date). Regardless, sorry, but laziness and lack of motivation to use Google to find sound effects is not justification for other game developers to suffer the aforementioned problems. [/quote]

It’s bare bones and next to useless when you’re not searching “not free” assets

Here’s an example:

Without show unavailable ticked

With unavailable ticked

Try this with any sound effect name and you’ll get practically the same kinds of results.

Most of those top ones are Roblox created sounds btw, that aren’t “free”

How about this then.
We start by making people unable to find unavailable assets. But if you got the ID, you can still use the audio.
This will not break ANY game and will start the process of making people upload their own audio.

Then later on, we can disable use of others unavailable audio all together, by this stage people have already started using their own assets instead and the impact on the community will be minimal.

Free audio uploads is ofcourse something I support aswell.

How about this then.
We start by making people unable to find unavailable assets. But if you got the ID, you can still use the audio.
This will not break ANY game and will start the process of making people upload their own audio.

Then later on, we can disable use of others unavailable audio all together, by this stage people have already started using their own assets instead and the impact on the community will be minimal.

Free audio uploads is ofcourse something I support aswell.[/quote]

In that case, say goodbye to any high-quality audio being used in games (e.g. mine) because people simply can’t afford to pay the upload costs.

1 Like

How about this then.

My post was addressing how shitty the library search is without seeing unavailable assets. But it’s perfectly functional when you CAN see unavailable assets.

Even Roblox’s assets are unavailable.

What you suggested fixes nothing other than your problem.

I’d never care if people used audio I uploaded because finding good sound effects is really hard and costs 100 robux. Good sounds can make or break a game. Stopping people from using your audio is just greedy in my book. Inb4 the h8.

It’s time for a cheaper upload cost. Making it free would obviously flood the moderation section, but a slightly lower price can probably be given?

Still the issue here is not that your using illegal assets. The issue is you can’t afford audio upload costs.

I thought I just went over that any venture of this sort should be preceded by free-to-upload audio :confused: Also, SnakeWorl, please don’t strawman and disregard all but one reason for hiding private assets when you’re making claims. We’ve also been over that people hide assets because they don’t want people peeking at their new games and because audio that they’ve worked hard to create personally shouldn’t be used by other people. I guess those people are greedy.

@Aurarus: ROBLOX’s assets should all be public.

More than half of those aren’t what I was looking for – it’s because ROBLOX can’t handle spaces in the search filter on top of all of the other things it can’t do. If I wanted to find audio from Metroid Prime 2, it would be leagues easier to use a real search engine like Google.

How about this then.

I think to make this change happen we would have to make all current audio free and then make unavailable audio not load. I think too large a percentage of current audio people are using is unavailable otherwise.

I thought I just went over that any venture of this sort should be preceded by free-to-upload audio :confused: Also, SnakeWorl, please don’t strawman and disregard all but one reason for hiding private assets when you’re making claims. We’ve also been over that people hide assets because they don’t want people peeking at their new games and because audio that they’ve worked hard to create personally shouldn’t be used by other people. I guess those people are greedy.

@Aurarus: ROBLOX’s assets should all be public.

More than half of those aren’t what I was looking for – it’s because ROBLOX can’t handle spaces in the search filter on top of all of the other things it can’t do. If I wanted to find audio from Metroid Prime 2, it would be leagues easier to use a real search engine like Google.[/quote]

Why would you put prime 2 echoes beforehand? I was strictly speaking about generic terms and sounds. “Scary music”, “slash”, “explosion”

Of course you’re going to get limited results when searching for sounds from a specific series. And asides from the 18k other results, it seems to have done a decent job showcasing metroid prime sounds.

You could also find someone who seems to have a lot of uploads from a specific game, limit the “Creators” to them, search metroid, and get a load more relevant results.

Agreed, not perfect, but it’s still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than not having the “show unavailable assets”. You can even preview them on the page, as opposed to seeing a lot less at a time on google + unrelated websites.