Toggle: Hide my private assets

[quote]

More than half of those aren’t what I was looking for – it’s because ROBLOX can’t handle spaces in the search filter on top of all of the other things it can’t do. If I wanted to find audio from Metroid Prime 2, it would be leagues easier to use a real search engine like Google.[/quote]

Yes, ROBLOX doesn’t have an ideal search system. But the issue is not with finding an asset on the first page, it’s with having enough assets available to choose from. Most of the ones people make public are remixes and crap that no one (no reputable developer) would use. When a developer uploads something quality and applicable to a multitude of games, it’s usually for their own game and they don’t bother making it public - whether or not they care if people use it.

Yeah, and it’s also not yours’ to use. [strike]Stop pirating peoples’ audio.[/strike] Apparently I’m a hypocrite because I accept the fact that we’re not going to stop people from using copyrighted material but still think there’s a line that shouldn’t be crossed

Yeah, and it’s also not yours’ to use. Stop pirating peoples’ audio.[/quote]

“Stop pirating peoples’ audio”
[size=5]> Literally pirates audio from Metroid Prime[/size]

Metroid Prime 2’s audio was an example. It was the first thing that came to mind since I’m playing it as we speak.

http://www.roblox.com/develop/library?CatalogContext=2&CreatorID=1273918&Keyword=&CurrencyType=0&pxMin=0&pxMax=0&SortType=0&SortAggregation=3&SortCurrency=0&IncludeNotForSale=true&LegendExpanded=true&Category=9

That’s not pirating. It’s fair use. Nonprofit fan art (games are a form of art) is under the umbrella of fair use.

That’s not pirating. It’s fair use. Nonprofit fan art (games are a form of art) is under the umbrella of fair use

Are you going to be constructive or just post gifs? If you want to have a discussion, I’m all for it, but I’m not going to babysit you.

Is metroid prime NOT made by Nintendo? Are you saying that Nintendo gave away that game for no profit? I’m not against piracy, I’m just trying to point out your hypocrisy on an issue where the term “piracy” is not exactly applicable.

Aurarus… Re-read the post please.

Nonprofit fan art. Nobody said anything about Metroid being nonprofit. “Games are a form of art” as in the ROBLOX game that I used the Metroid song for.

Nonprofit fan art. Nobody said anything about Metroid being nonprofit.[/quote]

Their soundtrack was made by a fan?

/just read edit

Read edit.

The game I used the song in is the fan art. Not the audio clip. Not the game by Nintendo. I edited that into the post after you clicked the reply button.

Now that you understand it’s not hypocrisy, do you want to delete this whole derailing conversation?

So you say your game is a fan creation, made for a non-profit cause. Therefore it is okay for you to use Nintendo’s soundtrack, without permission, from their franchised game.

How is that any better than using another person’s audio, on Roblox, which is under the protection of this law you speak of?

You called out Firebrand for being a pirate, let’s not forget about this.

So let’s assume you make zero profit whatsoever from this Metroid game, which sounds cool as fuck but that’s not what we’re talking about here. However, other notable creators such as TylerMcBride, HAVE made profitable games which do use soundtracks and sound effects made by Nintendo.

So, should we throw him under the bus?

Also, everyone understands that when you pay the 100/ 250 R$ for the sound, you’re only buying a moderation request, NOT the rights to the sound. Even by uploading your own original song to Roblox, ROBLOX now owns that particular mp3. So there’s nowhere near as much protection as Nintendo has on its own franchises/ soundtracks.

Personally I think Audio should be free to use by default, with a toggle to hide it. There are tons of non-free audio assets that I use a lot and hiding a majority of those would be a problem. Having them free by default would discourage the need to re-upload already existing audio.

Let me bring up what I was replying to:

When a developer uploads something quality. Not audio ripped off from other games. Perhaps I interpreted it wrong, but I don’t qualify sounds ripped straight out of games from your XBox or Wii to be quality – those are obviously not originals made by you, and in my eyes they’re considered poor quality for the same reason free models are considered poor quality. When he says quality sounds, my mind goes to audio people like Juriaan have created and uploaded themselves, or secondhand audio that they’ve directly gotten the rights to use.

The term pirate was used in a figurative sense – not literally. ROBLOX is past the point of no return with people using copyrighted material, and no one in their right mind would say someone’s game should be content-deleted and their account banned for using that type of audio – it’s pretty much standard at this point. When I used the term pirate, I was referring to the immoral choice of using audios hand-made by other users like Juriaan in your own game. While we may tolerate using assets from famous producers like Nintendo, I don’t ever recall copy/pasting assets from another ROBLOX game being a moral choice everyone could accept. Somebody could re-create UI from BF3 and no one would bat an eye, but if someone copy/pasted Hexaria’s UI and used it in their own game, nobody would tolerate it. That is what I was referring to as pirating.

Are you satisfied now Aurarus? Can we delete the derail conversation?

This is a really good idea!
Sounds fair, and I’ll unfree the sounds that’s not free as soon as this update been given. Even if someone would get the audio it’s not the whole world.

[quote] Let me bring up what I was replying to:

When a developer uploads something quality. Not audio ripped off from other games. Perhaps I interpreted it wrong, but I don’t qualify sounds ripped straight out of games from your XBox or Wii to be quality – those are obviously not originals made by you, and in my eyes they’re considered poor quality for the same reason free models are considered poor quality. When he says quality sounds, my mind goes to audio people like Juriaan have created and uploaded themselves, or secondhand audio that they’ve directly gotten the rights to use.

The term pirate was used in a figurative sense – not literally. ROBLOX is past the point of no return with people using copyrighted material, and no one in their right mind would say someone’s game should be content-deleted and their account banned for using that type of audio – it’s pretty much standard at this point. When I used the term pirate, I was referring to the immoral choice of using audios hand-made by other users like Juriaan in your own game. While we may tolerate using assets from famous producers like Nintendo, I don’t ever recall copy/pasting assets from another ROBLOX game being a moral choice everyone could accept. Somebody could re-create UI from BF3 and no one would bat an eye, but if someone copy/pasted Hexaria’s UI and used it in their own game, nobody would tolerate it. That is what I was referring to as pirating.

Are you satisfied now Aurarus? Can we delete the derail conversation?[/quote]

I’d like to highlight that bit of the quote, because that speaks a lot more about the type of audio he’s referring to.

Gun shot sounds. Click sounds. Generic crap no one can really tell the difference between who originally made it.
Even I said that copying assets doesn’t matter unless it’s VERY distinct and specific to a game.

But even in a WORST case scenario, the impact it has on income is negligible.

Let’s have an example:

Person A composes an AMAZING soundtrack for his game; not only does it sound good, but it actually carries tunes and melodies associated with specific characters from that particular game, playing at the exact same moments those characters appear on screen.

That amazing piece of work is made specifically for that game, fits in well with that game, is extremely catchy and identifiable, is easy to portray the meaning of in the context of that game.

Person A is also spent their entire life’s wealth making this game, the soundtrack, the assets, the story. It is an amazing piece of work.

If someone steals this audio they have to be a piece of shit on a caliber no man, fictional or real, could ever dream of achieving.

Now, Person B hears the music, thinks “that sounds cool”, takes the ID and uses it in his intro. It doesn’t match up to anything nearly as well. It sounds slightly out of place with the changing melodies, rhythms, tones…

Now, Person B made a generic genre game, something like Murder or a thrown together RPG. Coupled with his clever thumbnail, he’s on the front page. Person A is having a hard time getting recognized, even though he’s spending plenty on advertisements.

Person B released his game several weeks before A did. People have heard the song, and are familiar with it.

Person A’s game, since it’s a linear story, only makes it slightly up to the front page. It hits top rated in a matter of minutes, but it struggles to retain popularity because it’s not quite as repeatable or designed for small bursts of fun. That’s besides the point; he spent a lot of effort regardless.

Now, group C comes along. They’ve played B’s game, and are now hearing that song in A’s game. They say “WAIT A MINUTE, THIS GUY COPIED THAT SONG”; even understanding that the song makes more sense in the context of Person A’s game, with the melodies and whatnot.

Do you know what happens to group C? What they accomplish?
Nothing, nobody gives a shit, everyone ignores them they don’t matter, moving on

NOW. Did Person B’s game in ANY way negatively affect Person A’s game?

Let’s keep in mind the level of intelligence a whole community of players hold (significantly less than on an individual basis); no one remembers the song between the two, the moment that soundtrack plays in Person A’s game it doesn’t hold less value. (Maybe it holds more, since the person already feels familiar with the song and now understands its contexts; giving a eureka feeling that pummels all others)

Let’s make a more practical example:

Person D makes a cool fps game, they have particular menu sounds that sound very distinct.

Person E comes along, also has an fps game, figures to use person D’s sounds.

Their games keep relatively the same amount of players, so they are at direct competition.

Now, does Person E copying Person D’s sound impact the performance of any of those two games?

Does it reeeeally?

If those sounds are actually cool as fuck, and obviously superior, why wouldn’t Person E copy them or use something extremely similar? (basically inacting whatever “negative effects” you may propose happens)