Tommy Tallarico Sound Design Kit Now Available

I agree that Tommy took things a bit far, but it is understandable considering the fact that he was very annoyed and frustrated that a billion-dollar company was secretly using his asset for over a decade.

I’ve had artwork stolen by someone who is much more wealthier than me…the stolen artwork still remains used without permission to this day, so I understand how he feels.

Having hard work stolen by someone who’s much more successful than you is very hurtful to people, I nearly quit developing when I found out a 22k+ group was using my icon.

The only reason people hate Tommy was because of the way he tried getting what he was supposed to earn already.

While he was very harsh on Twitter, acting like him is not the way we should be approaching this.

Yes, most of the DevForum finds him annoying.

Yes, this could’ve been resolved without having to advertise in announcements.

But Tommy most likely fought Roblox in court over this and won, so it’s understandable.

Considering that Tommy hasn’t made a cent from Roblox in over a decade, I think it’s only fair that we let him have this instead of complaining.

The court-battle is done, it’s over.

Massively complaining about this will change nothing and only makes us look bad as a community, it’s best to move on knowing that the drama is over and that Tommy was finally rightly compensated.

EDIT:

Turns out Tommy and Roblox had an agreement instead of a court-battle, but the point still stands.

5 Likes

Roblox doesn’t purposely implement features to ‘kill off developer business.’ Why would they?

1 Like

Personally, opinions on this thread are insanely childish and do not point to a clear understanding or reason as to why this post exists.

I agree that this post is a literal advertisement and that it shouldn’t be here but, as settlements go, Tommy has the ability to reach and make a profit with his sounds. The DevForum would be his prime target audience so, posting a thread in the topic most people look at isn’t totally unheard of.

As for Tommy directly, I believe that him ranting on Twitter was the wrong way about it. Not only did it hurt his image but, it hurt the company image and made him hated on a community he’s attempting to advertise on. Roblox wouldn’t have reached a settlement if the sound was in their capacity but, the fact that a settlement exists means that they were in the wrong. I won’t be supporting a person who complains on Twitter to get what they want. It should’ve been handled in court and not, Twitter.

Unfortunately, whoever came up with the terms and decided to make this post in this category did so without properly thinking about what the repercussions would be.

I stopped taking the DevForum seriously after we started letting a flood of new people in and after this thread has been posted, it appears that the DevForum is more prone to containing advertisements and frankly, I don’t find that ethically correct.

10 Likes

Still, 10 bucks for some sounds. Most likely, people won’t even use half of them.

2 Likes

Why is Roblox bending over backwards for this man who has no hesitance to state his distaste for Roblox on social media, insult its community, insult it as a company, etc? Who was the executive who suddenly decided that this would be the best course of action-- free advertising for this guy in some “collaboration” where developers pay the majority of the fee for uploading sounds.

At the very least, provide some discount if you’re uploading Messiah Tallarico’s Sacred Works (With Respect To All Copyrights). By the way, Roblox still hasn’t retracted it’s claim that Mr. Tallarico has no proof of ownership of the “Oof” sound. Neither Roblox or Tallarico have also clarified this issue-- so what exactly is the reason for the “Oof” sound being removed? To have Tallarico sell merchandise under a brand he did not create, a joke that he did not take part in, a sound that he has no proof of making, etc. This is a terrible settlement.

3 Likes

So if we buy a bundle - we still have to pay to upload it? Or will it be more of an asset store where the assets are pre-approved and we just buy the licenses/rights to use it? I’m not a big fan if it is a double fee as it really shouldn’t be.

I’m also really glad that the Tollarico case ended up in partnership. Always great when that happens. Kind of sad to see the oof sound go (at least - by default), but I do think it is necessary seeing the revamps in UI and everything recently.

Also - I know a bunch of people are angered about how Tallarico treated the platform during the fiasco but I don’t think it’s the same way now. I think they are now on more peaceful terms given they have apparently partnered up.

Although this isn’t a great place to post this - this is an advertisement so I do think people are right to be angry at this post.

People are complaining that this is an advertisement, which, it basically is. But I wouldn’t get too mad at Roblox over this, I don’t think they will ever do this again, this was probably just part of their agreement so that Tommy wouldn’t sue them over the oof sound effect.

From the video it sounds like good sound effects for a good price, at most $0.05 per sound. Although having to pay Robux again to upload them isn’t ideal

1 Like

Am I reading this right? You have to PAY robux to upload the audio even though you spent USD on the sounds in the first place!

5 Likes

So it seems. @theLMGN summed it up quite nicely; Tommy Tallarico Sound Design Kit Now Available - #32 by TayIorRobinson

1 Like

That is correct.

Just bought the basic kit, and man, never have I regretted a purchase like this in my life. The audio sounds incredibly cheap and I could probably find better royalty free ones.

22 Likes

I doubt anyone is buying these kits for any other reason than to get the Oof sound.

3 Likes

Nice to hear, there is no way I’m buying this. They probably all sound fairly similar.

If the DevForum had an upvote feature, I would upvote this post. Thanks for posting this, now we know these sounds are not even worth the money.

3 Likes

That was a announcement i expected…

I dont see why “Roblox” should advertise for someone that… Can you say “In Bad Spotlight”? I think that we all know this is because of the “Ohh!” sound and that they need to pay for the damages.

Instead of advertising it they should just say:

1. Sorry we messed up
  2. We’re removing the “Ohh” sound
  3. To not go hate “Tommy”
  4. That this isnt happening again

All other things doesn’t interest (most of us) developers.

By the way the website doesnt work for me!

2 Likes

I can’t find any proof of him winning the court. Can you provide any proof that he accually won the court?

1 Like

Do people really think Roblox willingly wanted to advertise this mans sound effects? They were likely legally obligated to post this here, as part of (what I assume to be) their settlement.

2 Likes

So, 10-250$ to get the RIGHT to spend even more money on uploading the few dozen sounds you realistically need? Why is this literal advertisement on the announcements platform ? What about all the other sound designers trying to sell to other Roblox developers that this will spectacularly outshadow?

So is the “oof” sound going to be used by the sound kit anyway? Or are you just going to make one simply yourself? But why removed the “oof” sound :c. It’s such an iconic memory on ROBLOX and epic nostalgic. RIP oof Sound. :c

But in all seriousness, I can’t wait to see these new changes made on the ROBLOX Platform.

EDIT: Another thing that also confused me is to why this post is in announcements? This is legit a advertisement for some off-site SFX Designer. I thought that this section was for ROBLOX Updates, but instead I got a straight up ad. Please fix this.

1 Like

Sonniss has also released massive bundles of various audio every GDC since 2015 that are pretty much free to use however you like. Though the first was limited, so I’m not sure if/where it’s still available, or if it used the same license.

Links

The License – #GameAudioGDC Bundle - SONNISS

https://sonniss.com/gameaudiogdc2016/
https://sonniss.com/gameaudiogdc2017/
https://sonniss.com/gameaudiogdc18/
https://sonniss.com/gameaudiogdc19/
https://sonniss.com/gameaudiogdc2020/

And if you’re looking for something more retro/sci-fi and aren’t afraid to get your hands a little dirty, stuff like LabChirp and Bfxr are pretty much made for that kind of stuff.

8 Likes

Noooo!!! I don’t want to see the Oof sound go! :sob:

1 Like