Tommy Tallarico Sound Design Kit Now Available

Sonniss has also released massive bundles of various audio every GDC since 2015 that are pretty much free to use however you like. Though the first was limited, so I’m not sure if/where it’s still available, or if it used the same license.

Links

The License – #GameAudioGDC Bundle - SONNISS

https://sonniss.com/gameaudiogdc2016/
https://sonniss.com/gameaudiogdc2017/
https://sonniss.com/gameaudiogdc18/
https://sonniss.com/gameaudiogdc19/
https://sonniss.com/gameaudiogdc2020/

And if you’re looking for something more retro/sci-fi and aren’t afraid to get your hands a little dirty, stuff like LabChirp and Bfxr are pretty much made for that kind of stuff.

8 Likes

Noooo!!! I don’t want to see the Oof sound go! :sob:

1 Like

Guys as we can see Roblox is expanding and making every update harsh to us. Us as a community is bringing new roblox generations that will join in development in the worst times. This removal will cost many players as this was one of the most Iconic things roblox had. I’m very dissapointed of this. We are supposed to look forward to expand this community not to make it decrease. A lot of people will leave because of these update. They are taking many things and adding useless things that change roblox for example:

• Rthro
  • Changeable names like in twitter. ( May cause a lot of scams.)
  • Star Program (In devs POV its bad most of it)
  • Removal of the Oof sound

The point I wanna reach is how bad this move is. They want us to pay a guy 20$ just to play his sound. Many people dont have access to paypal or credit cards to ask their parents. Its useless making this an annoucement to pay some guy 20$ so he can pay his rent off. I’m very dissapointed.

2 Likes
  1. Not really a bad thing, it’s not forced on anyone and just expands the possibilities. People make custom rigs all the time as well anyways.
  2. The changeable name system isn’t really a problem since you can see people’s past usernames.
  3. There is a developer star program as well, it’s pretty new, my friend’s in it.
  4. That’s a legal issue, Roblox used the sound for years without the permission of Tommy Tallarico (original creator) which has resulted in it being sold like this.
1 Like

For me, I can understand one legal issue. But Roblox has a past of poorly treating developers compared to celebrities, special events, star creators, etc.

1 Like

Well, it’s mostly speculation although him winning a potential court case is likely considering what’s been going on lately.

We know that Roblox and Tommy are on good terms.

We know that Roblox made this thread to show off his work.

And we also know that Roblox could’ve simply ignored Tommy completely if he didn’t gain the upper hand in some way.

Although there is a chance that there was no court case and that they simply reached an agreement without having to go too far.

Though, a simple agreement probably wouldn’t be enough to convince Roblox to advertise Tommy on the DevForum so there must’ve been a legal process somehow.

EDIT:

It was off-court, according to this.

so is this an ad or an announcement and what’s going to stop users from using audio others have uploaded??

1 Like

The dispute was settled off-court.

Apparently this ad was part of the agreement.

3 Likes

What I mean changeable names like in twitter It may cause a lot of scams to kids for example a Kid that has a good finantial level. Some other guy can change his name to DenisDailyYT and the kid will be to excited he wont even verify it. He would get his password and take the money.

1 Like

Could we have some samples from the sound kits to determine whether we want to purchase them or not? $10’s isn’t a cheap price for 100 sfx that last 1-2 seconds.

2 Likes

Seems like the sfx itself isn’t that good either.

I wouldn’t buy any of tommy’s stuff either way, you’d be supporting him by doing that. As they say, “vote with your wallet” to show you don’t support this.

2 Likes

Roblox isn’t working with tommy, tommy forced them to make this advertisement in an off-court settlement

1 Like

It was off court they made an agreement.

1 Like

‘Forced them’

He didn’t force them to do anything. They infringed on his copyright and in an effort to offset the costs, which in California could have been a fairly expensive ordeal, Roblox offered or accepted a settlement which included this temporary partnership.

Not to mention that this actually paves the way for a community-driven marketplace on Roblox… so I’d say we’re winning regardless.

As an SFX designer you should be happy that a corporation as big as Roblox is stepping up and taking responsibility for their past actions. This is a good thing for both parties. They, accidentally or not, infringed on a copyright. It makes perfect sense that they should have to reconcile this in some manner.

How would you feel if someone stole your work and used it in their product?

1 Like

Love this… but I don’t like how we have to pay real money. There is many people on ROBLOX that don’t have money. A poll showed how many people are under 18 and don’t have a job and they do ROBLOX games for a living.

So?

You’re breaking copyright law if you do that without a license and you can get actin taken against you.

As a Roblox developer, it’s frustrating — insulting, even — that every developer must now buy the rights to use the “oof” sound for $10 to $250 USD.

Tommy created and owns the sound, no denying that, but let’s remember that Tommy did not make the sound valuable. Roblox Developers did. The sound is valuable because developers like us created games that millions of people around the world have played and enjoyed for countless hours.

We gave the sound value, and now we have to buy it?

I have no intention of giving this man a cent of my DevEx money, and I’m disappointed that Roblox couldn’t work out a better settlement than pushing the financial burden onto the developers.

9 Likes

I’m happy that we still have an option to use this iconic sound, but I don’t see why we’re supposed to purchase it from a third party for $10. It would honestly be better off if this was still a default sound in my view.

I also believe this should not have came to this. Roblox should’ve bought the sound full on instead of advertising a third party just for buying a sounding we’ve had on the platform for years. This settlement in the end will be a huge crunch for the community.

1 Like

By that logic… I should also be allowed to take assets from your Atlantic Hurricane Simulator game, get millions of more players than you did, and since I made the assets more popular than you did, you don’t deserve a cent?

I agree it’s frustrating they pushed the financial burden onto us but in reality, a 0.34s sound isn’t going to be worth the cost of the damages and/or licensing/purchasing.

1 Like