Tommy Tallarico Sound Design Kit Now Available

As much as change is hard to get used to this is happening. I hope though, that we can still be allowed to use the oof sound without having to buy a license to use it or whatever.

13 Likes

For R$20-70 a pop. Roblox isn’t even giving the sound IDs on the site, so the actual prices are
Basic: 100 sounds for $30
Developer: 500 sounds for $150
Standard: 5,000 sounds for $1100
Ultimate: 10,000 sounds for $2250 at current Robux prices, and I understand that developers might have some Robux lying around, or don’t want to use all the sounds, but these prices for something you can’t even use outside of Roblox is outrageous, and plus, giving someone who already has credentials in the SFX industry, who we never see in the Roblox community prime advertisement space over those who work tirelessly on a platform that takes 72% cut of profits (yes I do know Roblox provides hosting, datastores, etc) is also outrageous.

78 Likes

This will open a can of worms. There is a copyright issue with this, and people will just bypass the system and modify the sound effect.
Also, this just seems like a huge cash grab, 2,250 for 10,000 sounds? You can’t even use these sounds outside of Roblox!

32 Likes

Some really mixed replies in here. I’m definitely willing to try this out. Soundpacks online are hundreds of dollars and it appears that Tommy is offering more sounds than some of those packs.

Sound design is really important. If Roblox endorses it as not being content deleted, I’m all for it.

43 Likes

Could you perhaps elaborate on why this is in the announcements? This is a blatant advertisement, the only piece of information even remotely worthy of a title of such caliber is the removal of the iconic death sound, and it’s disappointing to receive a notification for such a post.

45 Likes

Why is the announcements channel being used to advertise someone’s work? Why does only this person have special access to the announcements channel so they can advertise their work? This bias is hurtful to other developers, it should be moved elsewhere.

I’d rather pay money to long standing Roblox SFX creators than to shell out money to someone who had a hissy fit on Twitter not too long ago.

168 Likes

What if you purchase a sound pack to use it in a group, but you don’t own the group yourself but you want to use it for that group it’s games? (You’ret the main developer for example)

3 Likes

Slightly off-topic, but if anyone wants the “oof” sound, you can play-test in studio, search the Workspace for “sound” and find the Died sound inside of a Humanoid. Copy that sound, stop play-testing, and put it in the workspace.

11 Likes

This is, honestly, one of the worst things I could’ve imagined happening this year. The Oof sound is one of the last things that remain untouched from the “old roblox days” and it’s a shame to see such an iconic audio be replaced when this guy, as you stated, doesn’t even have proof of ownership over the sound.

26 Likes

This is absolutely ridiculous, not only are you advertising one person, you are also killing the SFX market, killing off a lot of small sound designers. Also, Tommy doesn’t need ROBLOX’s help. He has already had the credentials to get good jobs, so you’re not supporting someone who’s trying to start up their career. I think this was a bad decision, and has hurt a lot of developers’ business. Please don’t do this more in the future.

49 Likes

Pain and sadness seeing the oof noise go…
(I’m probably gonna add it in as a custom death noise to my games - I can’t bear to see it go)

9 Likes

The “hissy fit” was about Roblox taking the ‘oof sound’ from his game, I just look at that as protecting intellectual property. But I don’t see how this is announcement worthy.

6 Likes

Bring back the OOF, and don’t advertise in announcements. This channel is for serious Roblox updates.

29 Likes

Thank you for working things out with Tommy.

I disagree with a lot of posts here, this is an advertisement and new settlement at the same time. Oof.

I do think that this is a great opportunity to have quality sounds; however, I think this is aimed to commercial developers rather than your small one-person developer with a 20 visit game.

However, why upload them paying robux yourself? Why not just have it bought via the Roblox website with USD? It would be easier to license, and no extra robux to waste. Please clarify if it costs robux to upload or not.

But okay.

8 Likes

Just want to make sure this is clear:

1. Developers have to double pay. Once to pay Tommy, and second to Roblox to upload the audio.
  2. This is an advertisement to a third party website, and being advertised to thousands of developers (this capability is not available to anyone, so rip sound designers that want to make a living on this platform?)
  3. Developer teams can’t use this.
  4. Roblox is endorsing people who sue them.

Got it.

100 Likes

Although I’m glad to see the issue between Roblox and Tommy is finally resolved, I’m honestly not happy with Roblox advertising an external product that I can only use on Roblox while other sound packs let you use them on any platform that you want. Ignoring the advertisement itself for a second, I also feel like advertise Tommy’s works to the entirety of the Roblox community isn’t a good idea at all. His lawsuit caused the community to be seriously divided and because of that, a lot of members in the Roblox community don’t like him. It honestly makes more sense to support a proven sound designer that’s actually part of the Roblox community and not one that joined because of a lawsuit.

20 Likes

Question,

What if players upload the “oof” audio. How would you know if it’s bought or uploaded for free?

8 Likes

In the video on the site, Tommy explains how all the sounds are digitally watermarked so you cant just download the sound and upload it.

4 Likes

Someone could just go to a old video with an ‘oof’ death sound, modify the sound and upload it.

4 Likes

This is awesome news! I love to see Roblox giving more opportunities to developers and use different sounds.

1 Like