Tommy Tallarico Sound Design Kit Now Available

The OOF sound is an iconic part of roblox and now we have to pay someone to buy and upload it? If I’m going to be honest, Tommy just should’ve been generous and let roblox keep it. Roblox is a kids game, and it’s something many people may remember/will remember about their childhood? So why not just keep it? That’s just complete greed to make it so it costs money. Additionally, why is there an advertisement in Announcements? If it was just the announcement about oof leaving then it makes sense, but this is an ad.

Unfortunately the business world is viscous and unforgiving. Even a small and short, not even great sounding (but iconic and nostalgic nevertheless), sound effect from years ago being generously allowed to be used for free is unheard of.

Yes, I realize that but that doesn’t make them expensive.

Yeah, i think it’s really unfair that i will have to spend 5 Reais ( My Currency ) for the uuhhh.wav Sound Effect.

I really don’t like this update, i will have to pay money for something that was always “free”
I Think they should reconsider and revert this update, maybe lower the price or make an agreement with Tommy, i just want “Oof” to be free, as it has been part of the community for 16 Years.

Unless I’m missing something, I don’t see how any of these sound kits are a good idea. As far as I know there’s no way to restrict access to assets, so the first people to buy the kits and upload them for personal use will most likely see people using their uploaded assets in their games, defeating the purpose of buying the kit in the first place. All you have to do to use someone else’s sound is plug the ID into the sound instance, so there’s no way to ensure that only people who paid for the kits get to use the sounds. This is probably one of the most short sighted decisions possible.

After doing a bit of research:

• It’s likely that these files will be leaked online because no protection.
  • These are high quality audios and I agree, these are good for game development.
  • Why make a 20 year old sound effect now all of a sudden be paid? As well as advertising your music to your platform and of all places, on the Devforum.

Only good for devs who need realistic sounds for their games (which not a lot of games need, because most aren’t supposed to be realistic)

2 Likes

Is this supposed to be collateral damage, or …?

Regardless, exceptionally disappointed to see uhhh.wav be replaced. I know many others feel the same, and will certainly make efforts to restore this classic into their games where it should be, unless of course the dev decides to change it.

1 Like

Sadly, this update will have a consequence to the future of Roblox.
Not every Developer will consider paying 100 robux just to add the uuhhh.wav/Oof into their games, So Slowly Oof is gonna Fade away, Sadly it will happen.
It’s gonna reach a point which you will only remember that OOF exists once every year.

and every game’s gonna have a different Death sound.

1 Like

So basically, we have to say goodbye to our beloved oof sound EXCEPT we can still pay to get it back? Didn’t you get it sort out with Tommy Tallarico? If you got it sorted out why did you need to replace it? This sounds like a business scheme.

I am pretty sure the license for those GDC bundles don’t allow redistribution though, which probably means you can’t use them on roblox since technically anyone can use audio you upload.

What I would do is give us a survey to fill out about new things us devs want to see, that way you could hear from us all.

Honestly, I love the idea of composers who have worked on AAA games making stuff for roblox! If it was possible to charge for user created audio assets and make it to where only people who have purchased an audio asset can use it in a game, I could definitely see more of these kinds of collaborations happening.

Why cant roblox just pay this guy a bunch of money to keep the oof sound how it is.

6 Likes

Really? This is so iconic. It’s like changing the ROBLOX name. Can you try to do something about this? It’s really sad to see it go… :cry:

1 Like

i agree man the oof sound is what i used to like about roblox the most :frowning:

1 Like

While it’s unfortunate that the sound effect is going away, it’s Tommy’s property, they own it.

Don’t try to over-exaggerate it, it’s not the end of the world, they spent 6 months sorting it out and this is the result both sides agreed on, we have no rights to tell them what to do, it’s their property, they are allowed to do whatever they want to do with it, you can’t judge them, they didn’t start it in the first place.

1 Like

Understandable. The oof sound is property of Tommy. I’m looking forward to having a nice batch of sound effects to use so I’ve bought a decent package from him.

1 Like

Why does everyone hate this? $250 for 10,000 High Quality Sounds?? That is a Steal! For the Equipment to make the Same Sounds would be upwards over $1000. Now, I can’t argue that Roblox should have made a Way for the Audio to not be copied such as selling the Audio on the Roblox Website or making an Entire System to combat it. Now I can’t make a valid argument about the Oof Sound. That Sound is VERY Iconic to Roblox and they should have just worked a Deal that Included Roblox being able to still use the Oof Sound. But I am excited to see what this new death sound is!
All I ask is everyone to give Tommy a little Respect in this as he has worked probably Weeks if not Months on this Kit that would require expensive equipment, and just the dedication and time he has put into this project.

2 Likes

Once the audio marketplace comes out, the oof sound will be 100 robux which is stated in Tommy’s video.

2 Likes

Yes, and assuming uploading each sound averagely costs 20 robux each, that would also be 20,000 robux to upload each sound to roblox to even use at all. If you buy robux through the site, that’s basically another $200.

1 Like