Tool equip animation does not update properly while Humanoid is seated

Issue Type: Display
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2016-09-29 00:09:00 (-05:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2021-04-16 00:04:00 (-05:00)

Reproduction Steps:
Equip a Tool with a Handle part, then walk into a Seat.

While remaining seated, unequip the tool. The player’s right arm should remain up.

You can similarly get into the seat before equipping the tool, and it will not respond upon being equipped.

Expected Behavior:
The character’s right arm should be responsive when I equip and unequip a tool while sitting in a seat.

Actual Behavior:
The right arm locks into whatever tool pose it had upon sitting, and does not respond to the tool’s parent changing.

Workaround:
Fortunately this is just a bug with the Animate script itself.
This issue is caused by a return at line 695 in content/avatar/scripts/humanoidAnimateR15ScaledV4.client.lua

Removing the return appears to fix the problem entirely.

26 Likes

I remember this being a problem, I thought it was exclusive to the game I was in, but now I know it isn’t.

This has been happening for at least 2 weeks or so.

(I just saw it has been happening since 2016, deleting oof)

Oh it’s been happening for a lot longer than that buddy.
I reckon it’s been happening since R15 was introduced almost 5 years ago.

5 Likes

I can open a ticket and a pr to get the fix merged and tested for you

7 Likes

Sounds good, awesome turnaround time!
I’m more surprised no one in general spotted this happening for so long.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve spotted this happening in my game but I never really pegged it as a roblox issue nor did I really have the time an energy to make a thorough and well thought out bug report :laughing:

1 Like

Huh. Not knowing the cause, I made a bug report for the same problem over a year ago that was not followed up on.

Well, it’s great to finally see it get one step closer to being fixed!

Gonna say this for most of us: We had spotted it but never really cared to report it or couldnt report it all, this has been bugging me for years but I cant do much about it so I am glad its finally being fixed.

Well I guess you’re CloneTrooper1019 and you provide the exact line of code where the problem is, you get action :slight_smile:

1 Like

do you have a place to repro this?

1 Like

I tried to repro this with The Midas Glove - Roblox and Mega Annoying Megaphone - Roblox. I did a lot of attempts, and I could only get it to happen once. Is there a particular technique you do to repro it more often? Or is there a particular piece of gear or type of chair that makes it easier to repro?

Now I’ve tested it more, and I can repro pretty often, but I can also repro with the fix. So I won’t be able to merge your change as it doesn’t seem to completely fix the problem. However, there is a ticket in our system for it now. So I will try to get some time at some point to look into fixing it.

1 Like

Apologies for not immediately responding, I saw your response but got overwhelmed by some college work I had to get done and it got buried.

I do have a very simple repro which I did in the screenshots above.
Decided to go out of my way to make a unit test for it.

Here you go :slight_smile:!
SeatedToolAnim.rbxl (31.1 KB)

Note that the issue requires R15 to reproduce, the problem does not occur with R6 avatars.

2 Likes

Finally! I have been looking for a solution for my FPS that moves the player’s arm at camera lookvector and this bug breaks the Motor6D when seated.
I have been searching for a solution of why my arm won’t work when seated.

This is still happening to me.