TOS needs to clearly define "excessive violence"

The Roblox Community Guidelines do not clearly define guidelines on violence, such as gore, blood, etc. Development-wise, this creates confusion.

Currently, rule ten states this:

1. Overly violent content and/or content related to tragic current events or circumstances. We do not allow such content, including:
  • Atrocities, massacres, and other shocking real (or pseudo-real) world events; and
  • Extreme violence, physical or psychological abuse.

From this alone, the only clearly stated rule is that we cannot create experiences based on current tragic circumstances (rightfully so, we do not want an experience like “9/11 simulator”).

What I do not know, though, is what is “extreme violence?” Currently, the most violent experience I can think of is Neighborhood War, which has been on the “Top Rated” sort since 2018; clearly, this game is allowed.

In the given example:

• Players may dismember limbs and shoot human characters in half
  • Players can choose to drag, beat, stab, shoot and burn human characters
  • The game explicitly displays blood pools, exposed organs, dismemberment, etc.

Since these are allowed (or at least, I assume they are), clearly and entirely define a limit past this in the community rules.

91 Likes

An update needs to be made to this post, since RDC changed the way this will work.

Roblox intends to separate age groups for game ratings, so therefore, “excessive violence” needs to have separate definitions among each age group. In other words, at what point does something violence-related move a game up to the next age group?

14 Likes

I would like to know this as well. I was planning on making a Quake like game with gibbing and slightly graphical phantasy weapons (grimoires that summon maws sticking to walls that act as mines and similar stuff for halloween events), but ended up abandoning the idea simply out of fear that I’d end up on the short end of the moderation lottery.

6 Likes