Trackpad gestures!

This is VERY helpful to people that don’t have USB Mouses or some other sort of mouses that you can connect to laptop, it was very difficult playing Roblox on a laptop, no, maybe even painful (literally, if your trackpad is kinda broken and have to put a lot of pressure on your fingers that is) playing on a laptop, and so this is bringing more opportunities for players to play on their devices, thanks for this feature, now Roblox is making their way onto more devices with more accessibility!

I hate “Accessibility” features with no option to disable them.

They should add an “Accessibility” option to disable this.

6 Likes

Can you send examples of the games where this is an issue, and what the issues are? Thanks.

Can you just add an option to disable this feature? Some people just plain prefer scrolling to zoom and right-clicking to pan the camera.

5 Likes

It takes too long to scroll in/out (on mac at least), the previous way makes much more sense and way easier to use. In my case this is an issue for 3rd person combat games.

2 Likes

I’m bumping into an issue of confusing experience. Especially when I have a USB mouse connected to a laptop. Scrolling in client becomes default, unlike my usual setting which is inverted. Studio does not have this issue occurring at all.

Holding shift and scrolling results in orbiting around the focus of the camera instead of actually zooming.

Issue was addressed previously.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. Fixes for the following issues ship next week:

• Shift+scrolling orbits the camera
  • Natural scrolling direction isn’t respected
  • Shift+scrolling doesn’t emit a MouseWheel event
  • Disabled ScreenGuis sink PointerAction inputs

We’re currently looking into the following issues:

• No zoom controls on Magic Mice
  • MouseWheel bindings to ContextActionService should be able to sink a PointerAction
3 Likes

Please let this be toggleable!! If you’re making bug fixes then please don’t blatantly ignore the request of myself and many other users.

7 Likes

Any risks of this interfering with touchpad drivers? (I.E. Synaptics, which already has gestures in it like scrolling using two fingers)

The original RMB controls should work as is, that was the intention. Pinch zoom is a common control mechanism and is universally used on touchscreens to zoom in/out. In order to control the camera by using 2 fingers without having to hold down on the right corner of the touchpad, we need 2 fingers to be able to freely move across the touchpad.

In our user tests, most players had great difficulty holding down the bottom right corner of the touch pad and then continuing to hold down, to adjust the camera. This isn’t an easy camera control method for a majority of our users. Suggest using the pinch zoom for a week and then let us know if this is not a comfortable/easy feature to use.

Please let this be toggleable!

We want an experience that’s consistently intuitive. As @Rototally said, if you have an example of gameplay that doesn’t work as well with the new touch controls, we’d like to check it out and see how we can improve the controls to accommodate.

If you’re making bug fixes

Yes, we’re going to continue to make bug fixes and usability improvements. We hold every feature to a high standard and our job isn’t done until it shines. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Good question–we generally try to use the built-in gesture drivers, Synaptics or otherwise.

scroll to zoom.

Why can you not add a toggle? it can still be on my default, but why not?

3 Likes

You guys must have not tested on Macbooks then. Using two fingers to zoom in and out is much easier and convenient than adjusting your fingers to pinch.

If you don’t want to change this feature at least compromise and give developers the choice to turn it off for their game.

I take this statement back as you the video above was done on a Macbook. But the point is still valid, maybe there was a failure to consider how this feature would fare in different types of games.

Not just developers, users too!! :V

5 Likes

I think the majority of users experiencing lack-of-ease with this feature (myself included) are MacBook users. This feature may be more convenient and intuitive for Windows users, but not for MacBook users, as PCs have different trackpads and gestures than MacBooks. Forcing all players to use a predetermined set of gestures when each non-mouse user has their own habits of using their trackpad to interact with the camera is unfair.

I don’t see the need to have consistency on a client feature that should be based on the player’s discretion. Most devices have accessibility settings. My computer allows me to customize/toggle just about every feature and setting for a reason: because each user has their own preferences.

I’ve been using this feature since it’s been released and I still find it unintuitive and inconvenient. If this many people have found this feature to be uncomfortable to use, then it only makes sense to make it able to be toggled.

Yes, pinch zoom is a common control mechanism when browsing the web where you’re not constantly using the trackpad or on a mobile/tablet game, but I’ve never seen pinch zoom used on a PC game.

The feature’s lack-of-ease isn’t so black and white. It’s like asking a right-handed person to write with their left hand and then asking them to explain why it’s uncomfortable. Everyone uses their trackpad differently, so it only makes sense to leave it up to the user to decide how they want to control their camera.

7 Likes

That’s not an example of game play. You’re trying to convince someone, so state your specific use cases, so that they can understand why you are adamant about it.

Good points! But I want to add that it’s not just uncomfortable, it’s slower. Before on Macs you were able to control the movement and camera zoom with keeping the same two fingers on the trackpad the entire time. Now we are required to switch between our thumb and middle finger when we need to zoom or move the camera.

Taking something simple and making it more complicated is not intuitive

2 Likes

Because I’m used to the old way of moving the camera, this affects literally every single game I play, and it’s really annoying.

Every other game (as in, non-Roblox games) lets me scroll to zoom. Roblox used to do that. Roblox already has a way of selecting a camera control mode. Why not let me choose?

3 Likes

I have a desktop mac with an apple mouse. The apple mouse also detects gestures so it is very annoying when I want to scroll in game! Please add an option to turn this off, I can’t play games decently now… It’s a mouse not a trackpad, please fix!

4 Likes