Trail Update (all platforms available)

They are visible but may not look the same.

2 Likes

Will there be a way for the texture to look like it’s flowing? For example, a wavy rainbow trail that looks like it’s stationary relative to the world and not stationary relative to the emitter. Also: different emitter shapes like squares and circles and spheres and ellipses or arbitrary 2D/3D shapes?

1 Like

I’m so excited for this!!

1 Like

What do you mean not look the same? What would the difference be? I can’t really imagine an “inbetween state” for their quality, unless the image resolution on the trails is simply more pixelated or whatever

Oh yes boi! :smiley:

This is just AMAZING! :open_mouth: Thank you so much to whoever worked/is working on this!!

I’d imagine that if we’re not going to be able to control the number of segments (basically the smoothness), it’ll instead be based on quality level. So trails (especially long ones) will look more “jagged” at lower levels.

There will be some basic level of control over the number of segments based on distance moved. At lower quality levels, trails may get shorter instead of more jagged.

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand your first question. I think the answer is no. And emitter is a line. If you want other shapes, maybe you can combine them together.

Please don’t do this

If I set something to a certain size I expect it to stay that size, and forcing size to change based on quality level seems really counterintuitive

I’d much prefer having jagged trails instead of shorter trails

12 Likes

I was wrong about how trails will simplify based on performance. They will use fewer segments as performance degrades.

10 Likes

I know this is super new and all, but is there any estimated release date for this? Just curious as to when we could expect to see it live.

“Post can’t be empty” “Post must be at least 3 characters”

1 Like

Thanks, missed that!

drools

https://twitter.com/MaxGee1019/status/869031136214884352

1 Like

It’s worth noting that might be an early version.

I say that because I’ve been messing with it for a couple days and in it’s current state it’s ok for weapon trails like this, but it’s pretty much unusable for actual trails like this.

Why’s that? Can’t you just place two attachments and do what you need?

Cant you just use a particle emitter for that kind of trail?

only if you have a high-rate emitter on a pretty small part (smaller than 0.2, which isn’t even supported)

it ends up looking bad if the emitter rate gets throttled, so it’s nothing you’d actually want in a production-level game

yeah but how would a trail emitter help?