Transfer Group on Group Owner Account Termination

As a Roblox user, it is currently impossible to continue a group in the case that the group owner is ban from Roblox.

In 2018, this post was made:

Basically, when a group owner is terminated they keep the group unlike before where Roblox would automatically kick them out of it. While this has several advantages, it has major disadvantages too. Groups are well, often a group effort :slight_smile:

It seems unfair to punish an entire group if just the owner gets ban. Some groups reach hundreds of thousands of members, groups this big should not depend on one person’s account.

My Feature Proposal:

Add a feature to the groups where the group owner can basically set a list of people the group should go to in the case that the owner’s account is terminated. This list should include features to set a priority so that the owner may choose one user to be the first in line to get the group and so on.

Pros:

• This will mean fewer groups are created every time one is “lost”. (More group names will remain available)
  • Groups can mean something more, as something that gets passed down and lives for a long time.
  • Everyone who is involved in the group does not lose their work and effort due to one person’s action.
  • Also keep in mind, since there are a lot of false moderations, it may not even be the owner’s fault. This gives groups a fighting chance when these mistakes are made.

Possible question:
Q: Can’t the owner give the group to an alt and evade their punishment?
A: Yes and no. An account surely has more valuable things than just a group. Either way, if they did something wrong, they face punishment. The group would be the only thing they get to keep in this case. And just because some may do this is no reason to not give this feature, as larger groups may benefit from it. This would provide a lot of security to groups, especially groups that have group games that make a lot of robux. And as I mentioned above, groups are usually a group effort. A whole group shouldn’t have to pay the price for one person’s mistake.

135 Likes

I feel this is a very important feature request to necro bump. As of currently my group is useless right now because I was wrongfully permanently banned. Support can’t even transfer the group ownership to another account on my behalf. I feel this would help so many groups from becoming useless , as a group admin can only do so much. Alternatives would be being able to give group admins all permissions like discord.

32 Likes

Necro bumping because we need this feature!!

3 Likes

The owner was banned but the development team still exists and we lost access to our intellectual property; stuff we made.

8 Likes

Ultimately, it would potentially violate the original owner’s privacy and protection of assets or permissions they may not want to be disclosed. The original owner is responsible for following the Robox rules, and if they care for their group they will be sure to not get banned.

I think making a system to transfer groups after an owner is banned is far from being a priority. There are much bigger issues right now, such as text filtering being a bit of a mess, and DDoSing. But yes, I can see why you would want this feature.

1 Like

The owner of the group is not the owner of the dev team’s intellectual property. All assets were made outside of Roblox meaning it was meshes and images. It was a passion project for the dev team collaborating with the group. Owner did not pay, commision, hire, or employ the dev team. Two separate entities.

5 Likes

? Roblox groups aren’t owned by the group creators? They’re owned by roblox lol otherwise they wouldn’t replaced “owned by” with “by”. How can they violate the privacy then? All the assets r public too so like

2 Likes

I think there needs to be a balance between giving the owner time to appeal, giving higher ranked users first dibs (to avoid any random user coming in and trashing the place) and then opening it up to all users after all of that if it’s still not been claimed.

Ideally there would be a cooldown (30, maybe even 40 days to give some leniency because we all know how long support takes when it comes to urgent time sensitive issues), followed by another (30 days?) cooldown where the highest ranked role under the owner gets permission to claim the group (in a situation of a group having the bare minimum 3 roles, usually that second role is some sort of admin, or at least a trusted set of users, which means they should be a safe choice to take over the group), and past that its fair game for all (which after 60ish days of waiting and nobody trusted wishing to take over for any reason is a very reasonable amount of time)

3 Likes

Necrobumping this (again) because I feel like this has been a shockingly weird behavior choice for over 5 years at this point that doesn’t get enough attention. I was around when an account getting terminated meant anyone with BC could claim its groups immediately, and it was absolute chaos for larger groups having funds and assets stolen for accidental deletions. The change to avoid that from being an issue made total sense, but the solution being to effectively (without actually doing it) lock groups in this scenario doesn’t make a ton of sense. I’m not even entirely in favor of a succession system like people have thrown out there, but why doesn’t this policy have some kind of limit before expiring?

I agree with @cpguy5089 that 60 days feels like a solid point at which an appeal either wouldn’t have been filed or would have been denied or accepted at that point. Although, pretty much any amount of time other than permanently feels more logical to me, even if it was a year. If you’ve been around long enough on this platform and gone back to look at old groups you used to be part of, odds are at least half of them are stuck like this. I’d assume there’s probably thousands of groups that have been stuck in purgatory like this for years. At the bare minimum you shouldn’t be able to hoard group names like this, I’m not sure how many more fake copyright, reserved, and trademark symbols people could possibly add to the same 5 names.

5 Likes

Adding to this from the other side:
Many good group names were claimed by some random groups 2 years ago. The owners got banned and everyone left the group. Because of that many good group names are lost forever.

Adding an option to claim inactive (group) names would be really good.

agree

dont agree.

rightfully banned owners would be able to give group ownership to another owner to continue the banned activities.

Group locks exist for a reason.
The idea behind it would be to lock the group if bad actors wont stop making inappropriate games in the group
God knows when will we get better moderation though.

2 Likes

then again moderation doesn’t always do that even tho they should so :man_shrugging:

This player call MateoHeartsBloxburg . My stole roblox group call uglyprincessmonster squad. He doesn’t wanted to give back to me . So i created a new roblox group called uglyprincessmonster’s kingdoms