Transparent glass is appearing as bright neon in fog and atmosphere from a distance

I am writing this post because, while this bug has been mentioned in the replies to many posts regarding the recent rendering issues, it has never been directly brought up in a post of its own. And considering that it’s been more than a month since this problem started occurring with still no statement acknowledging the issue—I’m not convinced it’s being fully addressed. :frowning:

The bug occurs when the camera is at a certain distance away from a transparent glass block placed in the fog. Instead of the block being concealed by the fog, as any other block would behave, it instead glows bright neon. It should be noted that this same behavior persists with not only the default Fog under Lighting but also when using the new ‘Atmosphere’ class with the Density property.

Here’s some visuals of what I’m describing: (I am using graphics 10 in these images)

Here’s a video showing the same issue but with the new ‘Atmosphere’ instead of Fog

Other Notes:

• Occurs in-game and in Studio and is not specific to my system (occurs for everyone I’ve shown it to)
  • Only occurs with glass with Transparency set to anything above 0 and below 1
  • Behaves the same throughout each Lighting.Technology type
  • The distance required for the rendering error is dependent on the client’s Graphics Quality (the lower the setting, the less distance required)

Reproduction Steps:

1. Set the material of any part to ‘Glass’
  2. Set the transparency to be anything above 0 and below 1
  3. Set Lighting.FogEnd to a reasonable value that will submerge the part in fog (ex. 500 or 1500), alternatively use the ‘Ambience’ class to get the same effect with Ambience.Density
  4. Distance yourself from the part until the rendering error occurs (glass appears bright neon)

Alongside numerous other rendering issues, this bug started occurring after release 429. Most (if not all) of the other rendering issues have been fixed. This one, however, has yet to be addressed and many developers (including myself) would very much like to hear a response on this! :smile:

26 Likes

Would this fall under this bug? It’s a plain baseplate with some items but it seems to be glowing green but it can be fixed if you change your fog start under lighting to “999999”. Unfortunatley you have to do that every time you open a game on studio.

1 Like