Tutorial: Making a black hole with real time lensing

Your tutorials can be on any development topic, as long as it is related to Roblox development, and as long as it conveys a significant amount of information. Topics that are not about (Roblox) development should probably go into a different forum category, as well as topics that are really simple or short.

Make sure to add step-by-step instructions in your tutorials! You should detail and explain your steps as best you can, and remember that not everyone might have your particular set of skills.

When possible, be sure to include images or videos to make your explanation as clear and easy to follow as possible.

Please consider using Community Resources category if your topic does not fit the format of a tutorial.

1. Get an inverted sphere mesh (preferably from the Meshes category of the toolbox) and set Lighting to Future.

2. Set its transparency to 2 and add a highlight with outline and fill transparency set to 1, with the mesh material being Glass.

3. Duplicate the mesh, decrease its size vertically by 1 or 2 studs and paste in the position of the first mesh, and increase the transparency by 0.5.

Demonstration

1. Repeat step 3 8 times.

2. Set the 8th mesh’s transparency to 50.

3. To complete the effect, insert an attachment into the 8th mesh, add a particleemitter, set its texture to a circle texture, and make it black. Set speed to 0. Lower its lifetime to avoid it being too pixelated.

Demonstration (with 512x512 texture)

1. The black hole model is done!

2. Add some additional details to the black hole to make it more interesting. (optional)

25 Likes

anything I’m missing?

2 Likes

It’s way too oval shaped. Also, the outline of the highlight needs to be transparent.

2 Likes

Instructions unclear, ended up making humanity extinct and Earth destroyed

8.5/10 would recommend for all ages

13 Likes

Nice of you to post this as a tutorial! With a bit more fiddling around, you can make it even more convincing! You can add stuff like flares and stuff, like here

10 Likes

You could also add an accretion disk, which is just a torus mesh, and then it will bend it over just like real black holes!

1 Like

Could you make the post more readable? Also, it would be great if you added images for reference. I think this would make the tutorial a little better. For now, it looks a bit effortless.

I added image demonstrations, and also images that show what you need to do in each step.

1 Like

i dont think this works anymore. either that or i did it wrong

Never mind i figured it out. Also I don’t like that there’s minimum character limit for these posts.