Two solutions on a topic

When I post a topic, I sometimes see two options that both work and are very different.

The different solutions could also work better for different people, so should you be able to have multiple solutions to a topic?

6 Likes

I think that would be a great idea to have that!

FYI: I would move this post to #forum-feedback

1 Like

The idea sounds good. Many people could have a solution to something. personally, Iā€™d remove the word and just keep the :white_check_mark:. So the owner of the topic could just check mark anything thatā€™s worked.

2 Likes

They could also have a dropdown called ā€œSolutionsā€ This way someone whoā€™s looking for an answer can browse all of the solutions.

4 Likes

Yes, I like that much more. Itā€™s more organized.

2 Likes

I would love for there to be two solutions. Sometimes several replies are good and you just canā€™t pick. :thinking:

1 Like

You should just link the second solution in the OP and then mark the best one as a solution to give the illusion of 2 solutions

1 Like

If there is multiple working solutions the thread creator can reply to the topic quoting all the solutions then mark the reply as a solution. I donā€™t see the need for this when there is already a workaround.

2 Likes

This is a pretty niche situation to be honestā€“thereā€™s rarely a need for two solutionsā€“so you could just make a fake solution box like I did here:

1 Like

:white_check_mark: Solved by Ggblocks20 in post #0

This is illegal, I swear.

Anyway, there is no point in having 2 solutions. Mark the best answer as a solution and then done. In the rare cases there are 2 solutions just make a fake solution as done above.

I donā€™t feel like the time and effort needed to make a plug-in like this will be worth it. There are little to no use cases for this and it could also be potentially abused by making it easier to give out solutions as a reward (Like the topic and post for a free solution)/make farming solutions easier (Post for free solution). If you are having trouble deciding between two solutions, ask yourself these questions: which one is more effective, which one is more efficient, and which method do you prefer. And if for some reason you absolutely need to have both posts marked as solutions, you can mark on as solution and link the others in your post, like this:

Solution: (Insert link here)

Yeah but some solutions may be better for other people that have the same problem that are looking at the post, and the post that is abusing will likely be flagged before anyone gets a reward

Why not all without limits? Even better !!!

I think that a feature that allows people to upvote/downvote posts would be great, just like stackoverflow. Instead of displaying the first post at the top, it would display the solution and the posts with the most upvotes.

1 Like

This just adds incentive to post for the sake of posting/use alts or bots to like your own posts/post ā€˜funnyā€™ memes and other off-topic or irrelevant things, fighting to earn the top post. The addition of downvoting also could be harmful, as people can dislike random users they have a beef with. Personally, I think the current system is fine. Likes should stay the way they are: a way to show gratitude/agreement and nothing more. They arenā€™t and should never be used as a metric to decide the usefulness of a post, especially in the forumā€™s bad condition.

And letā€™s say they do add this feature. If so, it has to be an optional sorting feature. I (and Iā€™m sure many others) prefer to see posts sorted by time posted.

As I said in my post, if you absolutely need to have multiple solutions you can do something along the lines of this in your post:

Solution: (Insert link)

Or you can always do a fake solution box if youā€™re picky about how it looks for some reason:

:white_check_mark: Solved by Spagetti_07 in post #15
(Insert invisible character Iā€™m too lazy to find)
Or you can always do a fake solution box if youā€™re picky about how it looks for some reason

Posts can take anywhere between a few hours to literal months to be taken down. Donā€™t put too much faith in the flagging system.