"Typical Obby?" - Horror game Feedback

I have been on this forum not so long ago, but I managed to ask a lot of questions, learned a lot and understood a lot thanks to caring people.
And now I’ve created my own game.
Yes, I was also inspired by A Stereotypical Obby. But it will unfold in a way you might not expect. I’m interested in how you rate it.
I think the game is completed, I tested the game with my “team” and fixed a lot of glitches, I hope there aren’t any, but if you notice, tell me, I’ll be happy to fix it.

Link to the game

Criticize! I need criticism, thank you.

13 Likes

This game contained some of the most quality death cutscenes I’ve seen on Roblox, and the game was quite interesting, too bad I couldnt get pass the restroom part and left the game.

When I place the plank on the correct door, sometimes, the monster switches to the other door, knock it and kill me in just 2 seconds which gave me no time to respond. And when I hide under the bench, I had no idea when the monster left so there should be a sound that indicating the monster leaving the room.

Oh and also the papers are blocked by proximity prompt so it’s really hard to read the middle part. Maybe you should try replacing it with another way of picking up

3 Likes

Thank you so much!

The mechanics with the monster are a bit confusing, I want to fix it. How it works: The monster hits the door once and then the randomizer is triggered, if the number of the randomizer is less than 30, then the monster does a “trick”. He abruptly moves to another door, giving only a little time to react. I’ll change it right now!

I will also do the taking of the paper by clicking the mouse, thank you for noticing this! (I did a mouse click first, but for some reason it didn’t work, I’ll try to do it again)

It was nice to hear about death cutscenes! Thank you very much!

Thank you very much for your opinion, I also wonder if the game was scary? I tried to make it scary by using strange monsters that look more like people in a robot shell.

And thanks again for pointing out my mistakes, I also want to add hints that can be enabled at the game menu and after death.

Oh, you also said about the sound of the monster leaving the room, this sound is there, but apparently it is difficult to hear, I will change it so that it is more understandable and audible.

The game was definitely scary. I don’t know about what other players would think but I personally hate unavoidable jumpscares, just the dark ambience, eerie noise and monsters stalking through corners is enough for me

1 Like

Love the death cutscenes! Very detailed and well executed. Monsters look great - all animations/effects were spot on.

In terms of gameplay, I recommend making it more straightforward. It may just be me, but I kept getting lost. When I was placed in the forest, I saw no obvious path ~ I had to randomly choose directions until I stopped seeing the “Wrong way” effect.

The same goes for the second main car part (with the Noob monster). I kept running into invisible walls. This frustrates players and results in lower play time (and a worse like-dislike ratio). I recommend adding more visual ques so players know their target.

The lack of multiplayer will (likely) cripple your game. Roblox is a very social platform - with a few exceptions, people prefer to play together. I recommend adding a lobby system of some sorts, to allow players to play with friends.

Overall, great work. Great monsters and visual effects. Excited to see where this leads!

2 Likes

Forest part is too hard, made me rage quit, needs a complimentary flashlight and green arrow, or atleast the “footsteps” the tip was talking about. (Shine flashlight on footsteps to make them slightly brighter, perhaps?)

The NPC at the beginning doing the obby with me added a touch of personality. Animations are good, although a slight nitpick being the “game over” camera position rotating the other way a bit before the screen fully goes black.

1 Like

Cool game. The death screen is too fast in my opinion. Also, you should use roblox built-in translations.

1 Like

Seems interesting, but it’s not that smooth and has bugs.

The camera at the start could be slightly improved but this is a minor nitpick.

When you get into the rusty car scene, there should be more visual indicators to walk towards the car. I kept walking into the invisible walls trying to figure out what to do.

The run scene was fine, I managed the outrun the monster to get inside the random facility.

In the facility hide scene, I just died. Fine. But then the monsteer just gave up on me? I didn’t even need to hide anymore since he stopped caring so the feature became completely redundant. I followed the noob into the next scene where there was a random jumpscare? After that I wasted time going into the other end to see the barricaded door that did nothing! Come on! Add something interesting there! All it did was waste my time… My curiosity could have been fullfilled a little better.

Anyways after that it went into the knocking scene.

In the knocking scene, the laughter is way too quiet which made it blend into the ambience which was frustrating. The knocking broke after restarting a few times (It was knocking on the boy’s bathroom, there was no proximity prompt and he just disappeared), which allowed me to get to the next section. Not to mention, at one point I am 100% sure I blocked the monster but he went through the door and killed me or something? (Might be a skill issue on this one though)

The next section was broken. The flashlight didn’t work and the door did nothing (My character kept trying to open the door but nothing happened? And I couldn’t walk away from there), I pressed F9 to look into the console and this is the error that popped up:

Overall, it would have been more fun if it wasn’t as buggy and if the confusing sections were smoothed out.

1 Like

Add a loading % countdown… … I have waited 30 seconds and still nothing…

1 Like

Very interesting!

May I also suggest adding something to help someone who can’t hear? Relying 100% on audio cues is not a good design. Add some visual cues that go along with those audio cues would be neat!

Good example of visual cue already in the game: door appearing to move when knocked on.

Try some visual cues like visible rumbles (shaking view) for footsteps in the basement segment. I also cannot even get the flashlight to work, clicking does not even seem to work.

1 Like

This game was the best horror game I have found o the devforum and it actually jumpscared me, I ended up rage quitting at the hall with bathrooms after being jump scared cuz the monster knocked on one door so I placed plank but then he instantly knock other door and I had no time and died

it was good although I got confused on the chase part in forest and the wrong way signs

1 Like

Thanks a lot to everyone for helping me improve the game! I can see that you like it, but there is still a lot of work to do. I will try to make the game much easier, but I will also try to explain why it is so difficult by revealing the plot a little. To be brief, you are the person who “offended” the noob, and now he is in the game, trying to torment you, which is why there are no clues, because he really wants to intimidate you so that you can look for ways yourself and be afraid. But apparently it didn’t work out the way I intended.

My bad. I added a line of code to remove the cursor, but I wrote it a little wrong.

Little change log:

• Increased footprints size in forest
  • Added arrow-pointers in the forest chase section.
  • Removed SeekerN00B “trick” mechanic (when he changing door)
  • Fixed Flashlight
  • Added “Move indicator” in Basement section instead of walk sounds(they are still there, but move indicator is better)
    That’s it for a moment

Edit: I posted a video in which I completed the game, you can see how it should be played.

1 Like

absolutely incredible, very high quality!

just the forest part had a lot of wandering around, the terrain should indicate a path, i would have never guessed to look for the note in between the trees, it was all grass

1 Like

Ok I came back and completed and got confused ending, you should probably make the computer room look better and no free models and make background more better to look at, because the whole game is high quality but then the computer room looks like free model

1 Like

Oh yea, about grass. Roblox still have grass size in Beta, only in the studio its size is small

Yes, you’re right, I was just trying to complete the game as quickly as possible, which is why the room looks so strange. Also, If it’s not difficult for you, could you suggest how i should improve end room?

Edit:

This is how it looks right now

1 Like

Just replayed this game. I’ve got No Deaths badge and Neutral ending.
I saw you fixed flashlight issue, and added arrows. Nice lore. Atleast for me.

I don’t know what to do to get Good and Bad ending. Could you give some tips? Please? Also, this is much better than inspired game. Gameplay, mechanics, locations. They’re nice. But UI design is little bad. I think you can add dialog box, with headshots and names of NPC. (or Player’s)

My total rating - 9/10.

1 Like