Typing in the script editor is extremely slow in macOS

This seems to be an issue in macOS Big Sur that mostly affects newer Mac’s when using the built-in display with the default color profile for the built-in display. I have experienced this issue on my 2018 13-inch MacBook Pro but I have not experienced this on my late 2013 13-inch MacBook Pro which has been running the macOS Big Sur developer beta since July.

I have been able to reproduce this on 2 different installs of macOS Big Sur on the same machine and I was unable to reproduce this on Catalina on the same machine. Every other code editor with syntax highlighting and autocomplete that I have tested do not seem to have this issue on any of the three installs.
My system specs:

I updated to Big Sur from 10.15.4 Catalina which I had clean installed in August.

I will try some of the solutions that people have posted above and update this post.

I have tried deleting the files in ~/Library/Preferences and that did not work.

Update: I was reading through a different topic about Studio being laggy on Mac and someone had said that changing the color profile in System Preferences > Displays > Color to Apple RGB worked. I changed my Color profile to “Cinema HD” which is the default color profile for the Apple Cinema HD Display that I have and that worked but the colors were slightly off which I was excepting for a monitor from 2005 but they were not as off as the Apple RGB profile. I also went on my late 2013 13-inch MacBook Pro which is also running Big Sur and I went into /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays which is where macOS stores the color profiles for any display that you use with that copy of macOS and I sent the Color LCD profile for my late 2013 MacBook Pro to my 2018 MacBook Pro using AirDrop and set that as my color profile and it worked. The colors are slightly off but the difference is not as noticeable as the Apple RGB or Cinema HD Profiles. I can attach the color profiles if anyone wants me to.

Also here is the thread that I was talking about:

3 Likes

Same problem With Big Sur

it lags like HELL
but when you move the script editor to a window the writing is back smooth again

2 Likes

Yeah, before I updated to Big Sur it was moderately laggy but alright… But now that I updated to Big Sur it lags to death!

I have a brand new MacBook Pro. Studio modeling and such runs fine, scripting is usually fine, but randomly the script editor runs so slow it is impossible to write code. Nothing seems to fix it, not even a restart on the computer. CPU does not seem to bog down or anything. Randomly the script editor starts functioning as it should maybe a few days later. Any suggestions?

Do you notice any FPS drops in the Studio 3D view?

3 Likes

I have noticed slight FPS drops in Studio edit mode after updating to Big Sur (mostly when I move the camera around really fast) but in test mode I can maintain 60 FPS 99% of the time when my graphics quality is set to 7 which is about the same as what I get inside of the Roblox client. I only noticed this on my primary which is a 13-inch 2018 MacBook Pro (Intel Core i5-8259U 2.3GHz quad core, Intel Iris Plus 655 1.5GB VRAM, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 20B29). I did not experience this issue on my late 2013 13-inch MacBook Pro (Intel Core i5-4258U 2.4GHz dual-core, Intel Iris 5100 1.5GB VRAM, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, macOS Big Sur 11 Developer Beta). This issue only started occurring for me after I updated to Big Sur.

I copied the color profile from my 2013 MacBook Pro to my 2018 MacBook Pro and set it as my color profile and that seemed to fix the issue for me.

Here is the default color profile on my 2018 MacBook Pro (This is the one that I was experiencing the lag with): 2018ColorProfile.zip (3.0 KB)
Here is the color profile from my 2013 MacBook Pro (I am not experiencing any lag with this one): 2013ColorProfile.zip (3.0 KB)

Copy the .icc files to /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays/ and try changing your color profile to them and see if it works

3 Likes

It feels fine, however a lag strike comes reguarly in both studio and roblox

Does renaming your plist file resolve the issue?

Furthermore, does any other part of Studio lag (aside from that regular spike?).

1 Like

Tried all and even made it worser it made me logout and change a bunch of other things. Moving script editor out of the studio as a window fixes it

Aside from lag strike the medium-detailed game takes longer to load

Have you tried the color profile change?

1 Like

Yes, nothing changed and made my mac look like im colorblind

Just realized while the studio is running on a medium-detailed game the computer performance gets affected

The studio runs fine for me while play testing the game or just using the 3d environment for placing models, etc. only script editor is having issues.

I’ve also been experiencing script editor issues on MacOS. Deleting plist files didn’t solve it, but changing the color profile did. I’m using a 2018 13-inch MacBook Pro.

1 Like

This fixed the problem for me.

Why hasn’t this problem been fixed on Roblox’s end though?

I think that this also has something to do with some of the changes that Apple made in Big Sur. I have noticed some lag and choppy animations in other areas while using the default color profile for my 2018 MacBook Pro.

macOS Big Sur, this remains an issue. It is extremely hard to type anything in the script editor without any long pauses :pensive:

1 Like

Hi.Sorry, but I am typing this on my phone as I’m in bed anyways , let’s just get to the point. I have quit developing on Mac and I have to use a very old laptop to develop so it’s very annoying having to switch laptops between playing games and making games.Also, everything on roblox studio was fine until one day I clicked it and it just doesn’t open.Ive deleted and reinstalled it at least 50 times.I do no have the specs on it but it is form 2015.Ive tried all of the solutions form the internet and none of them have worked.This is extremely frustrating for me.As I only have knew mouse pad and I have to switch laptops and move my mousepad over.

I’ve tried every thing I even wiped my Mac and redownloaded roblox & studio weird thing is I can run arsenal at 60 FPS and studio won’t even open for me? Thankfully I have a really old laptop that I develop on and I just installed windows 10 on it.

I had this very recently and I would consider testing your game and that fixes it for me :+1:

I searched for any console messages relating to Roblox Studio in the system.log file and I found some errors on my 2018 MacBook Pro and my 2013 MacBook Pro with macOS Big Sur. These issues might be caused by some graphics drivers (possibly for OpenGL that were removed or restructured/relocated in macOS Big Sur because I did not see any messages for Roblox Studio in system.log on my 2012 MacBook Air running Catalina.

This first message is kind of confusing and is different from the rest of the messages that I got.

Dec 7 07:18:22 Elijahs-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: Coalition Cache Evicted: app<application.com.Roblox.RobloxStudio.13823221.13830263(501)> [6703]

the other 2 console messages were saying that Studio was trying to access some system files that were removed in macOS Big Sur. From the names of the files that it is trying to access, I am guessing that it’s an old OpenGL Driver.

Dec 7 11:54:41 Elijahs-MacBook-Pro RobloxStudio[7260]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsGLDriver: #2: No such file or directory

Dec 7 11:54:41 Elijahs-MacBook-Pro RobloxStudio[7260]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources//GLRendererFloat.bundle/GLRendererFloat: #2: No such file or directory

I did not get any of these error messages on my MacBook Air with macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and I also checked for those files and did not find them on macOS Big Sur and I did find those files on macOS Catalina.

The /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ directory exists but there is no file named “AppleIntelKBLGraphicsGLDriver” inside of that directory but there is a file named “libigdmd.bundle”.
Also the “GLRendererFloat.bundle” file exists in /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.frameworks/Resources/ but there is nothing inside of the “GLRendererFloat.bundle” file.