Typing in the script editor is extremely slow in macOS

Tried all and even made it worser it made me logout and change a bunch of other things. Moving script editor out of the studio as a window fixes it

Aside from lag strike the medium-detailed game takes longer to load

Have you tried the color profile change?

1 Like

Yes, nothing changed and made my mac look like im colorblind

Just realized while the studio is running on a medium-detailed game the computer performance gets affected

The studio runs fine for me while play testing the game or just using the 3d environment for placing models, etc. only script editor is having issues.

I’ve also been experiencing script editor issues on MacOS. Deleting plist files didn’t solve it, but changing the color profile did. I’m using a 2018 13-inch MacBook Pro.

1 Like

This fixed the problem for me.

Why hasn’t this problem been fixed on Roblox’s end though?

I think that this also has something to do with some of the changes that Apple made in Big Sur. I have noticed some lag and choppy animations in other areas while using the default color profile for my 2018 MacBook Pro.

macOS Big Sur, this remains an issue. It is extremely hard to type anything in the script editor without any long pauses :pensive:

1 Like

Hi.Sorry, but I am typing this on my phone as I’m in bed anyways , let’s just get to the point. I have quit developing on Mac and I have to use a very old laptop to develop so it’s very annoying having to switch laptops between playing games and making games.Also, everything on roblox studio was fine until one day I clicked it and it just doesn’t open.Ive deleted and reinstalled it at least 50 times.I do no have the specs on it but it is form 2015.Ive tried all of the solutions form the internet and none of them have worked.This is extremely frustrating for me.As I only have knew mouse pad and I have to switch laptops and move my mousepad over.

I’ve tried every thing I even wiped my Mac and redownloaded roblox & studio weird thing is I can run arsenal at 60 FPS and studio won’t even open for me? Thankfully I have a really old laptop that I develop on and I just installed windows 10 on it.

I had this very recently and I would consider testing your game and that fixes it for me :+1:

I searched for any console messages relating to Roblox Studio in the system.log file and I found some errors on my 2018 MacBook Pro and my 2013 MacBook Pro with macOS Big Sur. These issues might be caused by some graphics drivers (possibly for OpenGL that were removed or restructured/relocated in macOS Big Sur because I did not see any messages for Roblox Studio in system.log on my 2012 MacBook Air running Catalina.

This first message is kind of confusing and is different from the rest of the messages that I got.

Dec 7 07:18:22 Elijahs-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: Coalition Cache Evicted: app<application.com.Roblox.RobloxStudio.13823221.13830263(501)> [6703]

the other 2 console messages were saying that Studio was trying to access some system files that were removed in macOS Big Sur. From the names of the files that it is trying to access, I am guessing that it’s an old OpenGL Driver.

Dec 7 11:54:41 Elijahs-MacBook-Pro RobloxStudio[7260]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsGLDriver: #2: No such file or directory

Dec 7 11:54:41 Elijahs-MacBook-Pro RobloxStudio[7260]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources//GLRendererFloat.bundle/GLRendererFloat: #2: No such file or directory

I did not get any of these error messages on my MacBook Air with macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and I also checked for those files and did not find them on macOS Big Sur and I did find those files on macOS Catalina.

The /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ directory exists but there is no file named “AppleIntelKBLGraphicsGLDriver” inside of that directory but there is a file named “libigdmd.bundle”.
Also the “GLRendererFloat.bundle” file exists in /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.frameworks/Resources/ but there is nothing inside of the “GLRendererFloat.bundle” file.

I’m also having these problems but I’m on windows 10 with an HP laptop, I’ve been having various lag problem before this but mostly when i open a place, but currently studio can take up to 3 to 30 minutes to start up and just as long to open a place. The modeling part like others said is fine but opening and editing a script(seriously just pressing a letter will lag it) is near impossible unless i put it into its own window. Closing a script also causes lag.

I thought that I had tried everything until you brought this up. Scaling down the Roblox Studio window to about half of my entire screen fixed the issue. Although, I do still find this odd. On my actual Mac monitor, I had this issue. But, on my external monitor, I didn’t have this issue regardless of window size.

Do you use a IMac, or a Mac mini? Also what size is your monitor, if you don’t know go to the top left apple button and go to “About this Mac”

I’m actually on a Macbook Pro. Here are the specs if anyone needs them: Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 1.57.51 PM

I am so tired of this issue. I came to see if anybody else had said anything about the horrible lag. I have just moved to a new 2020 MBP from a 2016 MBP. Studio never lagged on the 2016 and I did not reset it once during its four years of use. Studio has lagged out of the box on the 2020. I have not updated to Big Sur on the 2016 and I was actually getting ready to clear the computer.

2016 specs:
Image 12-15-20 at 3.08 AM

2020 specs:

For fun, I ran a diff on StudioAppSettings.json and the two computers were identical.
I ran a diff on the two settings xmls, GlobalSettings_13 and GlobalBasicSettings_13. I found some differences in GlobalSettings_13 and tried changing some settings in studio to no avail.

My /Users/me/Library/WebKit/com.Roblox.RobloxStudio directories are identical on the two computers. They both had subdirectories that were empty (I checked for hidden/’.’ prefixed files as well). I deleted it on the 2020 to see if it would do anything, and the problem still is not fixed. :frowning:

Pulling the script into its own window instead of leaving it attached to the main IDE does speed it back up to normal, but it’s annoying to have a separate window. I’m just glad to have some kind of work-around for now.

1 Like

I have found a possible fix for the script editor lag in macOS Big Sur 11 Beta and macOS Big Sur 11.0.1:

If you update your Mac to macOS 11.1, the performance is heavily improved. I have noticed a 75-80% improvement on the lag in the script editor after updating my 2018 MacBook Pro to macOS 11.1. The performance was improved enough for me that I don’t have to change my color profile to reduce the script editor lag anymore (I tested this on a LocalScript with over 1800 lines).

I would highly recommend taking a backup before updating to 11.1 because I have heard that some Mac users experienced failed installations and other issues that may require the computer to be erased and have macOS reinstalled. I personally did not experience any issues updating to macOS 11.1 but I still took a backup before installing the update.

1 Like

This is still a huge issue.

The script editor is extremely slow, even on scripts with nothing in them. Re-downloading Studio doesn’t fix it; the issue still persists even though it popped up again in September.

Please fix this Roblox; the issue has been happening for months!

1 Like

I’ve been having the script editor lag issue for a looong time. But your color profile trick seems to work great, thank you! I’m on a MacBook Pro 2020 with macOS 11.1, yet I still need to use the color profile you provided. I can’t see any difference right now, and hopefully wont in the future. Again, thank you for finding a good temporary solution. Now I can continue developing, until Roblox fixes the issue themselves ‎:D