Typing in the script editor is extremely slow in macOS

Worked for me. Studio is so fast now. Studio used to be much slower for me, it is like the feeling you get when you lose 99 pounds of fat. I don’t know if this is temporary or will last for a long time, but nonetheless, I have never been more excited to open studio!

TD:LR: It works great (Just tried it so I don’t know if it is long-term).

1 Like

Deleting that file proved it efficient. I will provide you a copy of my old preference file if there’s anything of interests.

1 Like

This issue started again for me last week. The only solution that worked for me was to delete the /Users/USER/Library/WebKit/com.Roblox.RobloxStudio folder. Now everything is fast again.

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

5 Likes

In this announcement 3 years ago, Roblox described a workaround for this bug. Changing the display’s color profile to “Generic RGB Profile” worked when I tested it today, didn’t even have to restart studio. Unfortunately this color profile looks much worse than the default “Color LCD” profile. I’m running the official release of Big Sur (not beta):

4 Likes

Hey @CoolJohnnyboy! We’re looking into this internally and have a few questions:

• Does the workaround above work for you?
  • Can you provide us with some plist files to debug the issue?
  • Can you provide us some more information about the plugins like which plugins you’re using and which settings?

Thank you so much!

2 Likes

I just saw this, this happened to me before. But I fixed it. I simply uninstalled and reinstalled Studio and it fixed a bunch of stuff. I use a 2011 iMac running High Sierra.

1 Like

Same issue on Big Sur right now

2 Likes

@darkmodeonn

1. When I tried that back in December '18 and January '19, it did not work.
  2. I have since had my Mac reset twice (once for the bug and once for something unrelated), so unfortunately I do not.
  3. I had deleted all my plugins at the time, but they were nothing beyond some plugins that would build buildings in the outdated/old terrain style, as well as a few rock creator plugins.

Since resetting my Mac, I haven’t had any issues, and if I were to have this issue again, I would certainly just reset it again.

Currently on my MacBook Pro, with macOS Big Sur, the script editor is so laggy.

1 Like

Have you tried a factory reset? That’s what worked for me.

1 Like

I would not recommend factory reseting your device – the best solution I’ve found is to delete anything related to Roblox in “~/Library/Preferences”; this issue will reemerge upon every Roblox Studio update. I’m hoping the engineers will begin to look deeper into this issue to resolve it.

Here’s a small demonstration I recorded displaying the difference: https://youtu.be/DDwzREhe2Rg

Commands utilized to (temporarily) resolve the issue:

1. $ cd ~/Library/Preferences
  2. $ rm -rf com.roblox*

cc @darkmodeonn @Hippie_ofDoom

1 Like

This seems to be an issue in macOS Big Sur that mostly affects newer Mac’s when using the built-in display with the default color profile for the built-in display. I have experienced this issue on my 2018 13-inch MacBook Pro but I have not experienced this on my late 2013 13-inch MacBook Pro which has been running the macOS Big Sur developer beta since July.

I have been able to reproduce this on 2 different installs of macOS Big Sur on the same machine and I was unable to reproduce this on Catalina on the same machine. Every other code editor with syntax highlighting and autocomplete that I have tested do not seem to have this issue on any of the three installs.
My system specs:

I updated to Big Sur from 10.15.4 Catalina which I had clean installed in August.

I will try some of the solutions that people have posted above and update this post.

I have tried deleting the files in ~/Library/Preferences and that did not work.

Update: I was reading through a different topic about Studio being laggy on Mac and someone had said that changing the color profile in System Preferences > Displays > Color to Apple RGB worked. I changed my Color profile to “Cinema HD” which is the default color profile for the Apple Cinema HD Display that I have and that worked but the colors were slightly off which I was excepting for a monitor from 2005 but they were not as off as the Apple RGB profile. I also went on my late 2013 13-inch MacBook Pro which is also running Big Sur and I went into /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays which is where macOS stores the color profiles for any display that you use with that copy of macOS and I sent the Color LCD profile for my late 2013 MacBook Pro to my 2018 MacBook Pro using AirDrop and set that as my color profile and it worked. The colors are slightly off but the difference is not as noticeable as the Apple RGB or Cinema HD Profiles. I can attach the color profiles if anyone wants me to.

Also here is the thread that I was talking about:

3 Likes

Same problem With Big Sur

it lags like HELL
but when you move the script editor to a window the writing is back smooth again

2 Likes

Yeah, before I updated to Big Sur it was moderately laggy but alright… But now that I updated to Big Sur it lags to death!

I have a brand new MacBook Pro. Studio modeling and such runs fine, scripting is usually fine, but randomly the script editor runs so slow it is impossible to write code. Nothing seems to fix it, not even a restart on the computer. CPU does not seem to bog down or anything. Randomly the script editor starts functioning as it should maybe a few days later. Any suggestions?

Do you notice any FPS drops in the Studio 3D view?

3 Likes

I have noticed slight FPS drops in Studio edit mode after updating to Big Sur (mostly when I move the camera around really fast) but in test mode I can maintain 60 FPS 99% of the time when my graphics quality is set to 7 which is about the same as what I get inside of the Roblox client. I only noticed this on my primary which is a 13-inch 2018 MacBook Pro (Intel Core i5-8259U 2.3GHz quad core, Intel Iris Plus 655 1.5GB VRAM, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 20B29). I did not experience this issue on my late 2013 13-inch MacBook Pro (Intel Core i5-4258U 2.4GHz dual-core, Intel Iris 5100 1.5GB VRAM, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, macOS Big Sur 11 Developer Beta). This issue only started occurring for me after I updated to Big Sur.

I copied the color profile from my 2013 MacBook Pro to my 2018 MacBook Pro and set it as my color profile and that seemed to fix the issue for me.

Here is the default color profile on my 2018 MacBook Pro (This is the one that I was experiencing the lag with): 2018ColorProfile.zip (3.0 KB)
Here is the color profile from my 2013 MacBook Pro (I am not experiencing any lag with this one): 2013ColorProfile.zip (3.0 KB)

Copy the .icc files to /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays/ and try changing your color profile to them and see if it works

3 Likes

It feels fine, however a lag strike comes reguarly in both studio and roblox

Does renaming your plist file resolve the issue?

Furthermore, does any other part of Studio lag (aside from that regular spike?).

1 Like