UGC Catalog is Now Live!

It has everything to do with the discussion. Your argument is, and I quote:

There would exist a market for just a default part as a hat. Thus by your logic we should be against the idea of banning it, no matter how bad it is.

If Roblox games were meant to maintain at least some bar of quality in the same way the catalog is supposed to, I would expect Roblox to take action against games that were lower than that bar of quality. However, given there is no bar of quality for games (the entire point is that anybody can make a game if they want), that seems irrelevant. The catalog and games aren’t equivalent.

5 Likes

Does it really matter if someone makes a default part a hat? I don’t see how this is destroying the economy or harming anyone.

As far as I’m aware, it’s just ruining your idea of a perfect catalog and that’s not a great argument.

I don’t know if you don’t know what UGC stands for, but it stands for user generated content. Roblox is pushing for a catalog completely run by the community. They are looking to take their hands off of the catalog and allowing it to be a free market.

So in the aspect that it is completely UGC, yes, the catalog and games are equivalent.

5 Likes

While this change is nice I have noticed that the UGC Catalogue does not have a result counter in the top left.

3 Likes

If people do not like them, they will not buy them. There’s clearly a market demand for these items.

Some users intentionally want low-quality items as they find it having a unique charm, comedic or just for the luls and memes (I mean, look at my avatar)

And of course, in @Bethink’s own words:

Finally, if someone uploaded pure trash on UGC, it’d get no sales, thus wouldn’t be on the Community Creations front page.

16 Likes

Players enjoying it does not mean it is a high quality item.

My concern is that the catalog will be filled with these types of low effort items, and the users who want a nice looking avatar will not be able to find high quality items.

14 Likes

Can ROBLOX just boot people who make low quality garbage from UGC?
It will encourage others to spend less time for more profit

6 Likes

110% agree.
Look at these:
https://www.roblox.com/catalog/3755550116/Macaroni-Face
https://www.roblox.com/catalog/3756658748/Happy-The-Clown
Neither of those look remotely good/unique, just like a quick attempt to get a few assets out.
This shouldn’t be encouraged, especially when in terms of the beginning of UGC

15 Likes

I think the “charm” in these “low effort” accessories is seeing something bad in the catalog. These are probably only popular right now because of how scarce low effort accessories are. I think once low effort accessories are normal, unless it’s a quality accessory that is intentionally ugly, people will stop buying them or even get annoyed by them. Bethink might have just gotten lucky and have been the first to do it.
I could honestly careless, I just want to make hats for the catalog.

10 Likes

Why are creators allowed to change the price?

People are furious because the “Downtown Denizen Fedora” has had its price changed 3 times in the last month… There needs to be some repercussion for changing the price or disable the price changing on the UGC

13 Likes

literally nothing wrong with having a discussion about the new UGC in the official UGC thread
don’t like seeing people having different opinions, feel free to leave the thread

7 Likes

I agree that no one likes to feel like they’ve been cheated out of something by paying more or less than the items worth. However, the big problem is that there’s no reason for there to be repercussion for changing an items price, because that’s the system Roblox has been doing for not only for clothing, but for hats for; well, ever. Perhaps a limited amount of times you can edit an items price per month could be put into effect, however, I again don’t see this as a need.

8 Likes

Or you could have a maximum percent different, e.g. the price can only fluctuate up to 5% more/less depending upon if it’s a sale, or if it is in demand, etc.

7 Likes

I wish to share my concerns regarding the users’ ability to change the price of hats at will. I see this being used for questionable strategies.

• Composing tweets such as “if this gets 2000 likes i will reduce the price of this hat by 50%!!!1!”
  • Lowering the price of poorly selling hats and marking them as “on sale” to tempt impulse buyers
  • Raising the price of a hat if it goes viral or gets promoted by a popular influencer
  • Lowering the price to the bare minumum for a small period of time as a marketing stunt to gain an audience.

It can be argued whether this is a bad thing or not. After all, it’s their product and they should be allowed to price it whatever they want. But in my honest opinion i don’t think this should be permitted. I think hats should have a fixed price and fixed name. No [60% OFF] or [SALE] tags. It’s already a bloody nuisance on the Games page.

52 Likes

Not only is it a nuisance on the Games page, it’s what a lot of clothing brands do to get their clothes to the front page of their part of the catalog. Along with that, the clothing page brands who are always on the front abuse a system where they’ll save up the money they earn, change the price on selected shirts/pants to thousands of dollars (usually around 20k-25k) and send money to an account who then buys the insanely marked up clothing. This rockets that piece of clothing to the front page. I’m concerned that the algorithm on the shirts/pants pages are the same as the entire catalog. Adding onto what Maplestick pointed out, how are we going to make sure UGC creators don’t abuse this stuff? It’s an issue that probably is not that big of a deal right now, but definitely will be in a future, so it’s probably better if we’d do something now.

11 Likes

Adding onto the idea of a fixed name, I would also suggest having certain criteria for names, such as having no emojis (I find them to be very frustrating when it comes to clothing names, and I believe this is a feeling shared by many) or special characters.

9 Likes

I couldn’t agree more, I feel some people are using some strategies to make of course more Profit which has been the case with shirts for quite a Long time. But I feel that people are starting to “abuse” this system I urge Roblox to review the system and make any changes to stop this from going where shirts did.

6 Likes

How about you explain how it is being abused? Because it doesn’t seem that abused to me, and I am sure happy to see what you got to day about it.

5 Likes

Okay, I see what you are getting at. Some very valid points but I think sales should be permitted, just not how they do it. At least they must give sales at a reasonable time.

3 Likes

I believe they should have sales time to time but when it’s out of nowhere and just for profit or lowering a hat price as a result of like-baiting on Twitter then that shouldn’t be permitted. People get banned for giveaways, although not exactly the same, it’s debatable whether that falls under the same rules.

5 Likes

Why not just restrict UGC sales to the same dates as general ROBLOX sales?

4 Likes