UGC Max Mesh Size Clarification

Working on an item for the UGC catalog and trying to work within max mesh limits, I would like some clarification on this specification taken from the document provided by Roblox.

The document states:
Max mesh: 1200 verts / 4000 tris (fit to template bodies)

I wanted to see other peoples work and how they dealt with this limit so I downloaded the Tonk by @TheShipArchitect and checked it out in Blender.

Blender says it has 2,798 verts and 2,160 tris which exceeds tris by more than double the above specs.

How does this work? Is it one and not the other?

25 Likes

I think it is caused due to change in format during importing into blender or exporting from roblox studio
just like when you export a part from roblox studio

10 Likes

hrm, wasn’t aware of that happening or even HOW it could happen. Verts are verts and I don’t see how exporting from Roblox and importing to Blender would somehow add a vert.

Can someone explain how this happens?

4 Likes

You can try exporting a mesh from blender in fbx format to roblox studio and then exporting it from roblox studio to blender :slight_smile:

4 Likes

yeah what I am saying is that it may add a tri like your brick above, but I honestly do not understand how it would arbitrarily add a vert. If you look at my OP you will see that it is verts that is higher than the spec, not tris.

If somehow a vert is added, how would it even decide where to put it?

4 Likes

Studio has a tendency of chewing up meshes and duplicating verts and edges on top of each other. If you press F3 and search Merge By Distance you’ll likely see that number drop significantly.

28 Likes

That was it, merged and now it is below spec:

Thank you!

5 Likes

Wow
I learned two things today from you

3 Likes

sorry to but in but if anyone uses 2.79 controls it should be spacebar not f3 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Can you send the UGC document that has all of this documentation?

7 Likes

why would u choose to use that version?

2 Likes

i use belnder 2.9 but i use 2,79 controls

1 Like

I always recommend using the tool called decimate on blender, it helps sooo much with decreasing necessary faces vertices and sides.

3 Likes

But, as a result, your meshes will end up more deformed and lower quality (and if you were using a mirror modifier that’s already been applied, it probably won’t look even)

I’d recommend just modeling around the limits instead of using modifiers.

2 Likes