UGC Program: Expanding Creation and Monetization with Avatar Bodies and Heads

fun starts here…

lets see what bizarre bundles are uploaded!

11 Likes

what about classic heads (for example, heads like hex) will we be able to upload those types of heads as well? most people dont use dynamic heads and prefer regular heads

i dont see why not, isnt it about “powering imagination” ?

18 Likes

On one hand, finally, being able to have stylized characters outside of Roblox’s design that don’t look terrible. (Woohoo, anthropomorphic avatars that finally have necks.)

On the other hand, shutting down all capabilities of creating “classic” Heads and Faces is severely disappointing. Here’s to hoping that classic clothing is allowed on these bodies.

16 Likes

me when i forcefully set every single account on the platform to R15 and then claim that 98% of users use R15

43 Likes

Everything about this is amazing EXCEPT the fact that Roblox is - despite such heavy community backlash, proposed compromises and pledges to feedback - adamant about not providing the ability to create static faces content; and it was brought to my attention recently that even if you disable dynamic expression via StarterPlayer, some of the technology still remains instead of a flat 2D face.

I have said this time and time again on avatar posts: I do not want to use any of the new technology because of its limitations and diversion from the aesthetics that I want for my experience. I do not disagree with Roblox pushing for more social technology, but it makes absolutely NO SENSE that Roblox CONTINUES TO DISRESPECT developers and players by not just providing OPTIONS and instead TAKING THEM AWAY on a platform that prides itself on IMAGINATION.

Unlike many other technologies where it is simply not possible to maintain backwards compatibility or where it doesn’t make sense for legacy technologies, there is NO EXCUSE for pushing so hard to destroy CLASSIC, STATIC FACES AND OTHER LEGACY AVATAR TECHNOLOGY THAT FORMED THE PLATFORM’S IDENTITY.

I’m getting so damn exhausted with the lack of communication and respect from product to us developers especially when it comes to avatars. Absolutely shame on you all for this falsehood of feedback being important. The only improvement that has ever happened since the most recent pledge to communication is on engineering’s side for features like Luau and Text Chat Service (something I was initially vocally against, but with compromise and improvements, I have adopted and accepted it).

Roblox needs to stop forcing its own vision of the platform down everyone’s throats and homogenising what kinds of content and styles are available on this platform. Roblox is a platform for everyone and all types of experiences to exist together, not just social experiences. There are a non-insignificant amount of developers who do not benefit from, and in fact suffer, from these forceful pushes and also leave us to bear the brunt of the decisions by going out of our way to find solutions to problems that never existed before but now do because of the crippling thoughtlessness of product (it is non-trivial to add decals to dynamic heads, for example).

Thanks for leaving me to need to create a StarterCharacter for every single experience I develop now so I can guarantee that an avatar construct will be how I want it to be; or now to have to find a modeling budget so every single experience I work on will require custom-created avatar assets.

There is literally no harm in allowing both static faces and dynamic heads to exist in the future of Roblox and I, as well as many others, have constantly talked about this, yet it falls on deaf ears and Roblox continues to push for forced adoption, whether in full or at minimum, of all this nonsense.

It’s sick.

50 Likes

Been excited for this for a long time. I finally get to have my own custom dragon avatar with PBR, facial anims, skinning, etc!

I finally get to turn my concept art into an actual avatar!

This only applies to human characters right? What happens if I upload a literal dragon body? That shouldn’t require a modesty layer since it doesn’t have human “bits” on it.

There are already examples of non-human avatars that don’t have a modesty layer, e.g. the galloping gecko body.

In a previous post I made (that Roblox still has not acknowledged), I outlined why this rev split is problematic : UGC : Creator cut is too small & needs to be increased. 70+% taken by Roblox is problematic & disrespectful to the community

Thanks for clarifying this! That answered some questions I had. :slight_smile:

21 Likes

> Complains about limited market
> Also complains about prevention method for people getting scammed / hacked

ok

14 Likes

Almost gave me a heart attack, I thought UGC was about to be accessible to everyone :face_exhaling:

15 Likes

if we’re going by biology terms, then it probably would need a modesty layer, as dragonborns would have “bits”

8 Likes

This is going to be fun to explore!

8 Likes

Please re-read what I said before posting. I didn’t say “dragonborn”, I said “dragon”.

6 Likes

Sadly none of that is really clear documentation on how to create the dynamic heads.

8 Likes

While presumably not officially supported, can you guys document the UV layout required to support classic clothing on custom R15 bodies?

For those who don’t have it, here’s the template for the Torso:

And the template for other limbs:

Any transparent space uses the color of the character’s limb (transparency supported). You can set the TextureID of the MeshPart to define an overlay texture. This does not work if you use a SurfaceAppearance, classic clothing only supports a flat diffuse texture.

51 Likes

BUR Heven movie test characters don’t look that bad anymore hahaha

Captura de Pantalla 2023-08-16 a la(s) 11.44.24 a.m.
XD

15 Likes

BRUH. So much for player expression. I guess we’re never seeing chill face ever again.

So convenient that many old accounts turned into R15 with dynamic faces.

37 Likes

Right, but what’s on the image is a humanoid-shaped dragon, which would be classified as a dragonborn / dragonkin.

Such creature would have presumed “bits”, therefore roblox will very likely require a “modesty” layer.

I understand you don’t want to have one, and I wish it could be that way. But knowing roblox this won’t be the case.

8 Likes

This seems like a cool addition. I’m excited to see what the Roblox community has to offer with bodies and heads (although no static faces is kind of disappointing). However, I really want to know if the following will be addressed:

• Are creators allowed to make their bundles compatible with R6?
  • Can creators allow classic clothing to be used on their avatars?
  • What specifically are the safeguards in place to stop people from uploading inappropriate content (i.e. nudity)
  • Has this feature been rigorously tested to avoid any problematic flaws that could impact user experience? (Layered clothing was incredibly exploitable upon release)
23 Likes

Can’t wait for ugc creators to mess up! :grinning:

15 Likes

Are the applications for UGC program still going to be open exclusively for this feature?

8 Likes

In my honest opinion: I would say both.

5 Likes