UGC : Creator cut is too small & needs to be increased. 70+% taken by Roblox is problematic & disrespectful to the community

As a Roblox creator, I rely on the income from my studio’s UGC items to make a living & support the development of my games. As UGC creators, we play a big part in driving the avatar economy to the success that it has today. With the creation of the UGC program, the catalog has become much more diverse, and avatars have become a lot more self-expressive. Gone are the days of wishing Roblox would upload cool swords, scarfs, and more! The artist community is now able to fill these needs. The program as a whole has improved the state of “identity” on the platform & the “metaverse”.

As such, the percent of our profits that we take from the avatar items we create should be fair and reasonable, but they are currently not. We shouldn’t have to pay for things like datastores and game servers which game developers are already taxed for, especially considering UGC creators use none of those services. However, at the time of writing this post, this is not the case.
Instead, UGC creators lose 70+% of their revenue to Roblox and affiliates / sellers, as demonstrated in this post. In fact, item sellers make more off the sale than the original item creator does, with the seller making 40% while the item creator only makes 30%. This is extremely problematic and unfair to the UGC artists who empower the avatar market today. The item creator should be making a majority of the profit, not the people who happened to sell it!

In light of this, this post was created and serves to:

• Highlight the issues with the current percentage splits & request more reasonable percentage splits between Roblox, sellers & UGC creators
  • Provide personal testimony from UGC creators

Problems with the current percentage splits

As mentioned previously, UGC creators are only getting 30% of the revenue from their own items that they sell. The exact breakdown is:

• 30% goes to UGC creator
  • 40% goes to seller (the seller is Roblox on the site).
  • 30% goes to Roblox

First and foremost, why are item sellers getting a bigger percentage than the item creator? The UGC creator puts in the time and work to make an accessory that players desire, only to have most of their profit taken by the person that happened to sell it! It should be the other way around, with the UGC creator making the 40% instead of the seller (seller makes 30%). This is a fairer & respectful arrangement, and aligns with Roblox’s “respect the community” core pillar.
It is the UGC artists creating the demand for avatar items, not the the games or other people that happen to be selling them. It is commonly argued that a majority of UGC items make most of their sales from their group store pages & the catalog, which leads to my next argument:

Roblox should not be taking 40% from sales conducted on a UGC creator’s own group page. This is their homestore, this is where they showcase all of their UGC items. A majority of an artist’s income comes not from game-sales in most cases, but sales from their group page and the catalog. Roblox taking 70% of the profit from sales conducted on an artist’s very own group is a big problem!

This issue is made even more prominent when you compare it to how game revenue is broken down. Games have their revenue fairly broken down, since they have to pay for the services they use (datastores, game servers, matchmaking, etc). As such, they get a ~25% revenue cut in pure profit. With UGC creators and plugin developers however, they don’t use any of those services! At best they make use of what is essentially a file-hosting service. They can’t use advertisements, they don’t use datastores, they don’t use matchmaking, and they don’t use game servers.
Despite not using any of these services, they’re still taxed like they are using these services! Roblox takes 70% or more for simply hosting an item or file. If we’re speaking technically, UGC creators lose 90% of their profits to Roblox & item sellers, post-devex fees. This means partners in a studio splitting profit get 5% each, for their own work. If the creator worked very hard making a layered clothing armor set, they’re getting almost nothing for their time and effort on the item!

@elttob Made some videos that cover these problems for plugin developers & UGC creators very well, and I highly recommend watching them as they contain a majority of my arugment for better percentages:

Overall, the current percentage splits for UGC artists is extremely problematic to the work they put into the items on the market. Out of respect for the community and fair compensation, the percentages should be re-worked to allow all UGC creators to make a living off of their work. Roblox should not be taking 70+% of an artist’s profits from the site, and item sellers should not be making more than the item creator.

153 Likes

Another problem directly relating to this is devex rates not matching rates that people buy them at which means less transparency to all creators about how much roblox actually takes from each and every sale.

Plugin developers, even if they recieve 100% of the robux from a sale, still lose a large margin of what they make due to bad devex rates not matching buy rates. Should roblox really be taking such a huge cut for something that is usually only a few kb?

24 Likes

As someone who relies on UGC to put food on the table, this is still a major issue.

With roblox’s recent post, we can hope this is addressed this year.

10 Likes

To add to nobles post, recently an update has come out getting rid of 40% payments if the user that purchased the item is in your group… I feel as though this is an awful update, we already earn 30% but to top it off we also lose out on the incentive for other developers putting our accessory in their games because of this new change, doesn’t seem fair at all.

3 Likes

Not only increase UGC earnings, but also experience earnings

4 Likes

Game tax is not the same as marketplace tax. They use difference services. Please watch elttob’s videos on this before commenting with the exhausted “RAISE GAME DEVEX” argument.

3 Likes

It’s just crazy that a TOTALLY RANDOM developer that JUST HAPPENS to sell your own items GETS PAID MORE than you from your own creations in 2023.

“B-b-but you can disable that in item configuration!”

It doesn’t matter. Roblox takes the 40% anyway EVEN if you lock your items to be sold ONLY under your experiences/catalog.

Like come on, there are tons of small UGC creators that barely make ends meet just for some random developer to snag that 40% and be set for life from selling stuff they didn’t create. Where is the ballance in that?

If not for the ridiculous fee (trust me, i have never seen worse fees since NBC fees were removed which was 90% of sales) i would be doing much better than i currently am.

I even feel like UGC creators are being treated even worse than developers or star creators. We don’t get any of these fancy prizes or anything. It’s just sad.

5 Likes

Frankly it’s outrageous that Roblox is essentially signaling "hey, UGC creators, you’re worth less than developers who sell your creations who did none of the work.

I love the idea of them incentivizing in game sales. I hate that they take out so much when UGC creators do all the work for their creations. The only back end support Roblox can claim credit of is the asset creator, thumbnail and rigging plugins, along with the front end of the catalog, but surely that is not worth a 70% cut.

11 Likes

This seems like basic economics to me.

If you sell a T-Shirt at Walmart, they take 90%+ of your revenue and you get pennies with each sale. The reason everybody wants to be in Walmart is because… everyone shops at Walmart. Volume sales are much greater than owning 100% of 0 sales.

As UGC opens up, there’s thousands of items being created daily. This means each individual UGC item is worth less daily, especially considering the Catalog page has limited screen space you compete for.

This is also why the website Catalog takes 40%. They are the seller choosing to promote your item, just like a game would.

8 Likes

It’s not a perfect comparison but I see your point. The biggest difference I see is that you can sell a physical T-Shirt in many locations. You may sell them in Walmart, but you can also sell them at Target, Amazon, etc. That said, this is probably more due to Roblox’s general lack of competition in the avatar fashion space.

Another area of comparison where I think this breaks down a bit is cost of operations for Walmart vs cost of operations for Roblox. Roblox needs to pay moderators to review and approve the decals and meshes, along with approving the item before it goes on sale. I suspect this operation cost pales in comparison to the cost Walmart incurs hiring employees at every level of the supply chain.

Finally, there is the cost of space in Walmart. Any item Walmart sells naturally takes up the physical space of another potential item they could be selling. Thus there is further leverage for Walmart to drive up their share of the profit. Roblox has no such physical space requirements as a practically unlimited number of items can all compete at no cost to Roblox.

I’m not sure where that leaves me in terms of how much I think the share for each component would be, but I think it could be more equitable.

4 Likes

I think a better analogy is affiliate links. When you sell someone’s UGC in an experience, the marketplace that is selling that UGC is still the Roblox marketplace. The experience is not providing the entire infrastructure for the sale of that UGC. Instead, it’s like bloggers or youtubers who use their websites or videos to sell amazon items via affiliate links. And in general, these people are getting 10% at most through those links.

From what I could find, Amazon generally doesn’t take more than a 45% cut total. However, comparing amazon and Roblox as marketplaces is difficult since you can buy products that are sold on amazon at other marketplaces whereas UGC is exclusively sold on the Roblox platform. Therefore, you could easily argue that Roblox is due a larger percentage.

1 Like

There’s very little to no incentive to sell UGC items in games. Most sales are attributed to the catalog. This feels like a fictitious % that Roblox can take for not being sold in a game, on top of the % + fees they already take. If an item is sold on the catalog, the creator of the item should get that additional 40%. It’s an imaginary tax.

16 Likes

Over a year later, and Roblox still has not acknowledged this post or the issues it raises. Roblox should do better!

1 Like

30% is laughable, this post should be taken seriously. Do better, Roblox.

2 Likes