UI Feedback for a Newbie

Hello, I’m working on a little game to flesh out my creativity, learn Roblox as an engine, and game development as a whole.

I recently made some UI for the game, and I want some tips because I feel like it’s quite bland for the energetic vibe I’m going for. Also, it seems a little pixelated, and I’m not happy about it.

Software Used: Photopea (I’m broke lol)

Constructive criticism is appreciated. Thank you.
While I’m at it, I was hoping that people could include dev posts regarding UI animation, especially using Roblox text (individual letters specifically).

I’m looking forward to your responses in the morning.

P.S. The “Play” button is like that because I was trying to envision what it would be like for the mouse to be hovering over a button, and the yellow background pattern will be animated in Roblox, btw.

14 Likes

It looks cool, the color black is 0, 0, 0? if yes put in 30, 30, 30 it looks better.

5 Likes

I suggest you use Figma.
Photopea, use it for logos or renders.

I think the text is a bit out of turn, kind of wacky a little. It would be better if you straitened it.

And the yellow part is too bright, make it a little less bright?

idk, that’s all i got, tell me what you think?

1 Like

For the wacky text part, I had it there intentionally because I felt it added more movement to the overall UI, although if you feel like a straightened text, then I’ll take it to heart when finalizing.

The background, My laptop sadly has a poorly saturated screen, so it’s really hard to see the colors correctly (especially when it comes to brightness), but I found out just now that looking from my phone was a good way to judge, so again, I’ll keep that in mind.

Is there a reason Figma is better for UI?
I see a lot of people on YouTube using Photoshop for their game UI, but then again, I only checked the Roblox side, so…

Thank you for your response. I’ll keep everything you said in mind :+1:

2 Likes

I’m truly sorry but I don’t think the grey carries well universally (I plan on changing the background to fit each cover art I draw) but I’ll think about it

Actually nvm, the saturation got me again, it’s really good-

1 Like

Personally, I think the warped text is really cool. I would keep it. It’s an unexpected delight in what would otherwise be a very straight forward screen. I would however, alight all of them to the right. Since they’re warped, they’re bending out of alignment and I think you still want them all to have the same padding on the right of the screen. And maybe pull them in a bit. They’re very close to the edge. The yellow is jarring but taking it down a notch will solve that. The color scheme and the contrast is really working for this screen overall and I’m into it! Very cool design.

2 Likes

hi, for being new, this is decent. i want to point out that depending on what you plan to use this for, I feel that it would be better to put a visible border around the words because looking at the text, it seems unclear where to click/tap to get to the desired page. another nitpicky thing that I would do personally is to move the settings text to the bottom or better yet add it as an icon at the bottom of the page to fill up the bottom right corner. even though the space is small, the bottom right corner seems very empty. i feel like changing the text to include three buttons and then adding two or three square icons below. i hope my criticism makes sense to you

1 Like

This is so cool, you’re a newbie?! I couldn’t make something like this if I had a year, can you tell me what you made this in?

1 Like

Sorry I’m a lil bit confused on what you mean, but I’ll try to interpret what you said to the best of my ability

Oh okay!
If you can, do you know any videos or sites that provide an explanation of color theory in UI and how to use color palettes when designing?

Also, you nailed the alignment criticism! I didn’t even notice it was unaligned till now, and I spent quite a while aligning them when they weren’t warped.

In terms of the background, I’ll probably tone it down like you said since another person said it was too bright.

Overall, thank you for your response!

1 Like

Sure thing! Actually, Medium tends to have lots of really great articles on UI and UX design with lots of info graphics (helpful for visual learners). With your color palette, the issue is just the brightness level. The actual color choices are great!

Here’s the medium article:

and this one gives a decent overview of color in general

2 Likes

Ooh one more thing you might want to look into is optical alignment. Since the type is warped and you have unexpected edges, you may find it difficult to get it to feel aligned. Understanding how to manage optical illusions can help :slight_smile:

1 Like

This UI looks VERY good! It’s unique to Roblox! The right buttons are kind of annoying, since they’re not straight and are curved and “wobbly”. Otherwise, nice job on this!

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for help, I really appreciate it
I’ll get a proper look at the resources you provided when I get home :+1:

While the text being wobbly is intentional, it seems like a lot of people would prefer it straight so I’ll most likely change it

Thank you for you feedback though!

It depends what kind of game you’re making, however, I think just as many people enjoy the wavy text, it’s interesting, and gives the screen a fun sort of, wacky feeling. I like it

1 Like

The game itself is just a wacky idea I had of a project where I just insert a bunch of oneshot game ideas whenever I get bored so I can learn :joy:

But I would love a wacky vibe to the game while appealing to as much as possible, but it seems like might not be able to do that with the text specifically in the UI :pensive:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback though, I really appreciate it :+1:

1 Like

It really reminds of the UI in games like the Persona series, you could try to take some inspiration from them.

I think you can hit the middle ground with the wacky text by making it a bit more uniform, making the buttons clearer

1 Like