UI Improvements [Slider, Checkbox, Radio buttons]

As a developer its currently too hard/too time consuming to create UI which would allow our players to easily customize their experience within our games, for ALL platforms.

Roblox currently lacks three major UI Objects which would help developers easily create experience customization systems in their games. Albeit that all three suggestions I’m about to discuss CAN very well be made by developers, however its either too hacky or too time consuming.

• Slider Object
    Description: an Object which we can set a Min and Max value of as well as the increment of movement, where a user can drag it along the Horizontal or Vertical Axis. Giving the Value of where the slider currently lies (Between the Min and Max).
    Use Case 1: I have an avatar customization where I allow players to change the height/width of their character.
    Use Case 2: I have a match making system where I want to allow players to allow a certain amount of maximum players who can join their room.
    Use Case 3: I have a house building system where I can allow players to control how bright a light is in an area

• Checkbox
    Description: an Object which has a True/False Value, where players can toggle between them by simply clicking, displaying a Check mark if True and removing it if False.
    Use Case 1: I have a Settings UI where players can toggle a few things on/off such as [Sound, Advanced Effects, and Privacy settings]
    Use Case 2: I have a house building system where players can toggle lock their house, toggle lights, toggle TV, etc.
    Use Case 3: I have a notification stream in game to notify players of events in the game, players can toggle this feature on/off.

• Radio buttons
    Description: Much like the HTML radio buttons, a group of buttons where players can select one of to be the value they want.
    Use Case 1: an RPG game where there are multiple “races”, players can select which race they want to be.
    Use Case 2: game difficulty screen for minigames where players can choose [Easy/Medium/Hard, etc]
    Use Case 3: user voting system where users can vote between options provided.
    Use Case 4: In game language selection for localized games.

When Roblox implements these, I believe that it would be a significant quality of life improvement to both Developers and Players. It would also help motivate developers to create a much more creative experiences for everyone.

I decided to request this on a new thread, both because the two previous features that were requested were posted a long time ago, as well as Roblox now has these already in the platform, just not available for In game use.

21 Likes

All three can already be done though …

2 Likes

Please fully read the original post @ZacBytes

5 Likes

Just because something can already be made doesn’t mean an easier alternative shouldn’t be added for convenience. Yes, these can be done, but they take time away from actual development in order to make something that most other game engines already have as a UI object.

1 Like

You might check out this library on github:

It has slider, checkbox, and radio button.

By default they are styled to match look & feel of studio, but re-styling them shouldn’t be too bad.

6 Likes

The library is definitely a great resource, and will be using it for the time being. Though it’d be a huge help if they were implemented to Roblox as UI Objects like TextButton, TextLabel, ImageLabel, ImageButton, etc.

2 Likes