UICorner [Live]

Welp, there goes the Roundify plugin.

Anyways, amazing update!

2 Likes

They are doing well with these new features like the gradient and now this.

Although I didn’t mind using the plugins, this is helpful. Now more animations can be done with this now as you can script the properties.

This is very helpful! I don’t have open up my plugins tab anymore and use Roundify! This is amazing! Thank you! :grinning:

Brilliant addition! Keep up the updates!

That’s understandable.

However, I much rather have this as a property that updates on the fly instead of a separate object.

-- For example
local container = instance.new("Frame", player.PlayerGui)
container.cornerRadius = 20

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 8.08.05 PM
Spawning in an instance & editing the property of that instance instead of the actual gui object seems incredibly frustrating. Especially when you could be a new player already lost at the layout studio has.

I feel like this can be condensed into a property instead. There’s not enough substance in it to justify why it would be a separate object.

Thanks for replying & I hope this helps.

5 Likes

I can share more considering you are interested in more details on engineering decisions:
The reason we ship all new things in UIComponents at user-interface level is that we are consider the future extendability of apis without worrying about throwing all properties on GuiObjects.
e.g. if we are going to support different corner radius some day, we need to add potential 4 more properties on GuiObject itself, if we have shape options, there will be another extra enum added.

Internally it benefits us in the way that we don’t allocate unnecessary memory and calculation if you don’t have those components parented.

It is kind of similar to modern game-engines component system, e.g. in Unity, it is in the form like gameobject.addcomponent. While we don’t have studio UI support so that we cannot show all of components in one property panel of parent as unity does.

13 Likes

Absolutely.
I’m stoked that this is becoming a thing!
I plan on updating Roundify to have the option of UICorner or 9-Slice for those who enjoy the plugin!

Awesome work byn the team who made this a thing!

1 Like

Thank you! This helps a LOT with scaled + rounded UI

Is this feature out of beta already? I can’t find it in beta features (yes I am in the beta program) however I am able to find it in the search for inserting objects.

1 Like

I feel like performance issues won’t be that much of a problem / won’t show that much of a difference.

@Stelrex
you’re being replaced lol

2 Likes

Ah, that makes much more sense.

It’s basically a more organized way instead of adding clutter to the gui object’s property tab.

I still would’ve preferred a property over an object instance but, the rationale behind this makes perfect sense. Out of curiosity, would background shadows ever be a thing? I’m fairly certain that this can be accomplished alternatively by using two rounded frames and changing the transparency on the frame with the lower zIndex but, it would be neat to have actual support for it. Would make elements on a linear base frame pop as compared to not having it.

Thanks for the explanation.

2 Likes

Hahaha, 9-slice still has its place :wink:

2 Likes

Indeed. The performance impacts are more than you would want in a clean Roblox game.

EDIT: In UICorner, of course

2 Likes

YES! I need this. Now it is simple to round your GUIs :smiley:

Circular minimaps, here we come!

1 Like

1 Like

Yes, it wasn’t there for me.
Anyways the issue has been resolved. Roblox Studio had an update and it finally showed up. Thanks for the help though!

I can already imagine the application of this in viewport teleporters.

Spoiler for those who don't want to render a GIF

Teleportation has never been so beautiful. At least it would be if I actually knew how to make one of these things.

6 Likes

Wow I have been waiting for an official update for this for so long. I no longer need to use plugins or custom make my UI anymore to create rounded edges!