UIListLayouts in SurfaceGuis seem to be malfunctioning

• Describe the bug.

I inserted a UIListLayout into a Frame of a SurfaceGui. The SurfaceGui is cloned from the ReplicatedStorage by the server, parented to the PlayerGui, and then Adorneed to a part in the workspace. I have five ImageButtons inside of the Frame. They seem to disappear when I insert the UIListLayout, no matter the UIListLayout properties. When I took a closer look, the ImageButtons’ Positions as overwritten by the UIListLayout are being set to crazy-big numbers.

EDIT: The larger-than-life X and Y values for position were happening because I had the Padding set to 10 on the Scale instead of the Offset. Even after that correction, the issue of the ImageButtons not appearing persists.

• How often does the bug happen (Everytime/sometimes/rarely)?

Well, I am able to use a few UIListLayouts when they sort vertically on other SurfaceGuis, albeit inconsistently. I have not found out why. In an attempt to reproduce this, I set up the same scenario as above except with only 2 ImageButtons as descendant of the frame, and the UIListLayout sorting horizontally. This seemed to work, but as soon as I added a third ImageButton, all three disappeared and even after deleting the third ImageButton, adding/removing the UIListLayout, the list could never be organized properly.

EDIT: In the original 5 ImageButton test, with the UIListLayout inside the frame, after removing an ImageButton and then pasting it back in, all of my ImageButtons appeared. Nothing happens when I use the :ApplyLayout() function of the UIListLayout. I was unable to replicate this more than once… bizarre!

• Where does the bug happen (www, gametest, etc) Is it level-specific? Is it game specific? Please post a link to the place that exhibits the issue.

This bug happens in all Studio test modes and true Roblox servers.
It is happening in my game here when players try to use the Smeltery:

• Would a screenshot or video help describe it to someone? If so, post one.

In this .gif you can see how when the UIListLayout is removed from the Frame, all of the ImageButtons that were MIA appear back in their original position:
https://gyazo.com/d6563a9c78d01fbe5126a7c7bd412943

Here you can see each of the AbsolutePositions of these ImageButtons with the UIListLayout in place:
https://gyazo.com/ec4d01bf9a4e4fdfe9ed65702387b86a

And here is a picture of the properties of my UIListLayout:
https://gyazo.com/43fae153a318d1aace6ec9becfb07d68

• When did the bug start happening? If we can tie it to a specific release that helps us figure out what we broke.

I only noticed it about a week ago. It could have been happening before then.

• Anything else that you would want to know about the bug if it were your job to find and fix it.

I can offer more info and further demonstration if needed.

2 Likes

Hi Soybeen,

Thank you for the work you put into this bug report!

However, make sure to perform a search using the search functionality that can be found in the top-right corner of the site, before posting in bug reports or feature requests. I searched for “uilistlayout surfacegui” and found the following bug, which seems to describe the same issue as yours:
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/uilistlayout-in-surfaceguis-preventing-gui-objects-from-showing-on-pc/46871

Another way to find similar bugs to the one you’re posting, apart from the search bar, is to have a quick look at the top page of the bug category that you are posting in.

I have informed staff to merge your post to that thread, so you don’t have to repost it there.

2 Likes

I hope that anyone with a devforum account can navigate those features.
I posted my thread after reading over a few others. They didn’t match my issue exactly. Trust me as much as I love writing bug reports, I’d’ve bumped one if I were certain it was the same. :sweat_smile:

Chief on my short list of reasons being that I briefly recruited my friend with a Macbook to test, and he was still unable to see the GUIs, which led me to believe that if there truly was an update on the 9th then this newly spawned or unresolved bug is a different species.

However, If there was no patch since the 9th like Merely made reference to in AznDibs’ thread, or if someone on a more modern Mac OS or iOS version would test and show my Mac experiment to be a one-off case, then I’m all for a merge.

Can you post or DM me a minimal rbxl with a repro? also @0xBAADF00D may have a little experience with this

Oh boy, do I. I’m gonna pass this one on again though. @Tiffblocks

Here is a reproduction @darthskrill @Tiffblocks
UIListLayout Bug Repro.rbxl (19.3 KB)

Here is a short .gif of me demonstrating the bug in the same place.

The UIListLayout should order those ImageButtons, but it just causes them to disappear. Removing the UIListLayout shows that the ImageButtons are healthy.

For now I’ve circumvented the issue by using a one-line UIGridLayout.

This is the same bug. I just tested it with my fix and it seems to work.

1 Like