Unable to open specific place with "Error while decoding data: unexpected end at offset 3" error

I’m not able to open this place to edit it at all, and I’m presented with the following error:

This happens when trying to open through the web view, a downloaded copy and Studio view, leading me to believe this file I hadn’t touched in years got corrupted somehow. It hasn’t been edited since April 12th, 2012 at 06:13 PM EST.

Simply attempting to open this place at all gives me this error.

Log file is available here.

Device info:

Windows 10

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Intel® Core™ i5-8600K CPU @ 3.60GHz

16 GB RAM

16 Likes

Hi PeteyK473,

Since this behavior is observed with a downloaded copy of the place, it would be helpful if you could please PM me a copy of the file so I can investigate this issue further.

Thanks

5 Likes

Thanks for the report PeteyK473, we will take a look.

4 Likes

I’m having the same issue here now, seems like this is only happening to older games.

100% reproduceable when trying to open up this uncopylocked game from the website:
https://www.roblox.com/games/89476842

Others on Roblox’s unofficial subreddit are also having the same issue:
https://www.reddit.com/r/roblox/comments/bzxrp9/error_while_decoding_data_unexpected_end_at/

I’m having the same issue also, when I try to open this place: houses - Roblox

For some reason I can’t open it in Studio, but when I play the game it loads fine.

p.s. how do i get log files?

I’m also having this issue. When I try to open every game that is edited for the last time in 2012, I get this error:

I only have this issue when trying to open games last edited in 2012, all other games have no problems for me.

1 Like

I’m getting this error: ---------------------------
Roblox Studio

Could not open the place “5287344494” with exception: “Unable to open the place. Please restart your application and try again. If you continue to encounter this error, please contact customer service.”.

OK

Since a roblox staff replied with:

I realized I had a downloaded copy and it decided to open the copy.

This error you are experiencing isn’t related to the problem in this thread. It belongs to this thread.

I am experiencing the same error you are, however this is not with a downloaded place. I believe this seems to be any place with a teamcreate enabled, as I have tested various with and without and I was able to join only those without it enabled. Although @gattka504 is correct.

Just an FYI:

We are aware of the particular error in the title occurring for games created and not touched since 2012 and earlier. Any other issues related to opening games that does not fit this criteria are not related and should be created as a separate bug report.

Thanks

4 Likes

The following place was updated January 2013:

Is it at all related to old terrain? In the thumbnail this has the old “blocky” terrain. Although if I remember correctly it is supposed to auto convert to new terrain?

Same error as in the original post in this thread, just thought I’d specify.

2 Likes

I have been experiencing this same error for several years when trying to open some old untouched place files from 2012 and early 2013. I have tried for years to open it but always receive the same error. I hope this can be fixed soon, I had some great designs I created in that old place and I want access to them again.

1 Like

Dirty fix that seems to work for me, IF you can live WITHOUT the ‘terrain’. £-D
I have only found this problem with old Roblox files (luckily save in a text format) which can be open using a bug standard text editor such as Notepad++.
So give this a try:-
First open the .rbxl (now .rbxlx) file in your favourite editor, just make sure it can handle the file size!
Do a search for

<Item class="Terrain" referent=

Rename the work ‘Terrain’ to ‘Terrain_DummyName’ as Roblox seem to just ignore the entries it does not unrecognised :slight_smile:
Save the file with a NEW name (just in case).
And try opening…

Sig _Christopher (m2mm4m)
RefCode:4Caa48T271V6 p3v5b02
void DeadEnds() {for(;;);} // £-3

6 Likes

Thank you so much my friend, it worked. I did not think I’d be able to access this place file any time soon, but miraculously you provided the solution.

3 Likes

I’m able to open the place and various other places from around the same time period again as of version 484.

https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/resources/release-note/Release-Notes-for-484

3 Likes

I’m able to open the place but the floor is gone and i have to replace it

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.