Unable to save Roblox places to NAS server

Reproduction Steps

This issue occurs when I am attempting to save a roblox place to my home NAS server. Nothing functional on my end has changed before this issue became apparent. Reading files is fine, but I am unable to save.

I can save to my NAS with other programs, eliminating the chances of fault being my own.

Expected Behavior

I am logged into my NAS via Windows 10 with the correct credentials, with all relevant user settings and file permission settings correctly set to being able to read and write to my files.

Actual Behavior

Roblox studio gives out an error saying it is unable to save to my NAS. I can save on local drives no problem, and am currently resorting to this until a solution is found.

"Error saving file ā€˜//servername/nasfolder/3 Game Dev/2 Roblox/2 Flood Escape 2/Builds/Versioned Builds/V50_02/50_02 Dev.rbxlā€™ - Error in writing data to file ā€˜UNC/servername/nasfolder/3 Game Dev/2 Roblox/2 Flood Escape 2/Builds/Versioned Builds/V50_02/50_02 Dev_Saving_LEecuH.rbxlā€™.

Make sure that you have sufficient permissions to the path and that there is no file system error."

Workaround

I have to use my local drives to temporarily work around this. This is not ideal as it breaks my workflow for reliably storing my places, but thankfully I could read the files from the NAS.

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Performance
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-11-04 19:11:00 (+00:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-11-04 00:11:00 (+00:00)

9 Likes

Hi @Crazyblox thank you for the report. We believe this happens when attempting to save over an existing file on NAS. It seems we make a temp ā€œautosaveā€ before renaming it over the existing file and renaming over to an NAS causes an error. The workaround is to do ā€œsave asā€ rather than saving over the existing file. Let us know if that addresses your issue.

Weā€™ve filed a ticket internally for this but I canā€™t say when it will be scheduled to be fixed.

3 Likes

Not super familiar with how paths are treated when going through symlinks, but maybe as a workaround you could make some type of symlink or junction to the root of the NAS drive and path through that. Wondering if maybe the problem is from mishandling of the // path prefix. Might be worth trying.

1 Like

Using the Save As method over the same file does not work, but creating a new file via this method works. Theoretically I could keep saving new iterations but with how often I hit save on my work out of habit to not lose any progress, I could seriously eat into my storage space.

Please address this. While I can temporally work around this, leaving this feature broken will leave me to escalate the issue as I believe saving is such a fundamental function to get right.

Looking forward to hear back.

Iā€™ve had a look at this and it in my testing it seems like the problem is caused by using a full network path rather than a drive.

So if you try to save to \\server\share\game.rbxl you will see this problem.
If instead you map \\server\share as a network drive and then save through the drive, this wonā€™t happen.

Still looking into the exact cause but I hope this can help for now.

2 Likes

I appreciate the advice but it hasnā€™t changed the outcome of my issue; mapping it as a network drive through windows explorer to where it appears under ā€˜This PCā€™ still throws up the same error.

Can I get an ETA on the fix please? This has seriously fucked over my workflow and I need to state that it is incredibly fundamental to get saving working. I refuse the circumstance of having to save iterations of places when Iā€™m only testing 5 new lines of code for example.

1 Like

Before the bug: ~32MB

After the bug: 1.13GB

Hereā€™s one of my latest updates that I worked on that couldā€™ve been 50MB only, which is now 414MB.

Hey man, can I get an ETA on the fix please? Every other program that uses files from my NAS can successfully overwrite.

Replying directly as advised by buildthomas

Hey man, can I get an ETA on the fix please? Every other program that uses files from my NAS can successfully overwrite.

This is actually a good idea, it could work as a reliable workaround until this issue is fixed. You should try setting up a symlink. Save the file to a path outside the NAS but what the path points to should just be a symlink to your NAS.

Create a folder and then use the mklink command in the terminal.

To add on to the report, this issue is not present on Mac while saving onto the NAS.

Wanted to follow up here today. We still have not shipped a fix but we are revisiting some old long-standing bugs including this one. We are currently working on a fix that we expect will be shipped some time in the coming weeks. Iā€™ll update this thread again once that fix is available.

2 Likes