Unable to switch mesh's render fidelity to automatic

Title says it all. Every attempt to switch a mesh’s LoD setting results in defaulting back to Precise instead of actually becoming Automatic. It is stated that attempts to change multiple parts at once will not work, here:

WARNING: Because of some recent updates, you might have issues when switching renderFidelity to Automatic for more than 3-4 parts simultaneously. The property value will change but LOD switching will not be activated. This only happens to old, non-LOD compatible meshParts. We are working on a fix.

Yet, my meshes are not old, being uploaded within the past 5 months. Is it from being in a team create possibly? Copying the team create into a individual file and attempting from there did not work as well. The meshes were uploaded by someone else on our dev team, could it be they have to enter the team create and change themselves? Sorta frustrating to be running into this issue.

I feel like a possible solution could be a plugin that would switch renderfidelity to automatic, cant seem to find any trustworthy ones unfortunately though.

ANY help would be appreciated. :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve constantly had an issue with setting my Meshparts LoD to Automatic ever since the update was released in May of last year.

In fact, I don’t know if any of my meshes have ever successfully remained on Automatic because the pop-up’s ambiguity of “may” has no feedback, and selecting the Meshpart again shows that it’s still set to Precise.

I even set my Studio render settings to level 1 since I heard that that can affect if a mesh is Precise or Automatic, and it still said it was set to Precise. I also heard that Meshparts are always set to Automatic regardless of their RenderFidelity setting - I don’t know how true that is though.

I’d love to know what others have found, and if it’s a common issue, to make a bug report.

3 Likes

It has worked correctly for me since the feature was added apart from the occasional time it flipped itself back to precise at the time I set it to automatic. I can confirm it’s working by pulling the camera back until I see the mesh deform.

For (very) simple meshes I of course get this in Output: Asset id # has too few triangles for renderFidelity to be set to Automatic.

Mesh or Meshpart? I always use Meshpart.

The game im working on has quite a lot of meshes, and the place memory is quite high, ranking at 399mb - with general memory at approx. 700mb (and thats without any of the basic programming being added- its all from parts and meshes.) I’ve been trying to diagnose possible issues to come up with solutions to bring it drastically down while maintaining as best as possible its current look. Am I heading down the wrong path currently anyway? Do I simply need to bite the bullet and redo things? Possibly the data below can help.

Dev Console Data

Truly am lost with trying to diagnose and optimize. :sob:

Granted 400mb for all of your place memory is pretty low (I’ve found that many more devices crash at 600-700mb). So unless you still have a lot to add, you should be ok.

Any tips on how to lower the physicspart being at 145mb? Unsure how that was caused and is my main goal to lower.

There’s a number of causes for that. Are these parts anchored? Are there a lot of parts (like more than 50,000?)? Are there any parts that are massive (like max scale?)

All parts are anchored, with a total of 76,669. There are a number of parts that are large, but unaware of their impact based on exact size. I changed all large parts that are out of bounds into block meshes scaled, but if theres a solution to the parts that players can collide with thatd be great. Not many situations can I reduce the amount of parts by turning into meshes, since of the size and possible collision issues, and even if so I have literally no idea when the best occasion to change is. Seems like itll be trial and error on my side with reducing.

That’s a pretty moderate amount of Parts - if you think it’s an issue, however, you can consider if it might be worth it to add a kind of loading LoD system to reduce the number of smaller Parts and detailing when a player isn’t close to them. It’s a pretty common practice for games that are fairly large and/or detailed.

But again, 400mb isn’t typically and issue.