Uploading ogg files in studio

Issue Area: Roblox Website
Page URL: https://create.roblox.com/creations/upload?assetType=Audio
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Often
A private message is associated with this bug report

15 Likes

was not aware of that, thank you!

Roblox also doesn’t allow WAV files for some reason despite them being playable by the audio engine.

5 Likes

Thanks for the report. The issue will be looked into!

6 Likes

Tried this myself, it’s not working for me either… :man_facepalming:

1 Like

I tried and this is still happening today. The workaround is to convert to mp3 and it should work.

2 Likes

Just ran into this bug, seems to still be an issue.

2 Likes

Some troubleshooting:

Both OGG Vorbis and OGG Opus files at 160k/350kbps fail to upload, with reasoning “Wrong Format” and no further information. These files were generated using FL Studio and ffmpeg. MP3 files work fine, but they enforce a stopgap of audio at the start which makes looping near-impossible without an exact adjustment of Sound.TimePosition.

Weirdly, .opus files are not hit with a “Wrong Format” error, but said assets don’t successfully upload to Roblox. Would be good to see this given more attention for new game audio quality.

2 Likes

Has anyone been able to find a workaround for this that doesn’t include using an mp3? I’m trying to create a sound that can seamlessly loop (e.g. police sirens and car horns) so as far as I know using an mp3 is not possible.

Uploading ogg files used to be possible but for some reason isn’t anymore and having the audio loop well is an important factor for me. Hopefully this can be fixed soon.

1 Like

This is still an active issue, I’ve just attempted to upload a OGG file that has been converted from the WAV format, at first I used a website to convert it and I thought maybe the website did a lackluster job so I instead used ffmpeg to convert it instead and it yielded the same issue.
After more testing, I didn’t notice that the Wrong format error message doesn’t prevent me uploading the file for some reason.

Furthermore, drag and drop functionaility is broken, it complains I’m trying to upload too many files even though I dragged a single file into the box. (It suddenly fixed itself, maybe it’s a on and off bug but it has happened to me multiple times, I’ll be sure to update this with more information if I can)

Update:
Drag and drop functionaility doesn’t like taking files dragged directly from Firefox downloads menu

4 Likes

I’ve tried to upload an OGG, didn’t work. Tried an MP3, and guess what happened.

Original file (in MP3 format):

Then, Roblox internally compresses the item and then literally converts it to an OGG:

This sound is unusable. Plus, it’s ridiculous that it’s clear Roblox has OGG support but doesn’t want us using it.

2 Likes

Update: I figured out that if you upload the audio directly to studio (through the asset manager rather than on the creator dashboard website), roblox allows you to upload OGG files.

Although it is annoying at least it gives us a way of uploading and using OGG files for our games. However roblox really need to fix the website, either say it doesn’t accept OGG files or (preferably) actually let us upload OGG files.

It’s much better, but it still internally compresses the sound.

I can’t upload it from there too it gives me an error code.

i Found an workaround

if you change the extension from .ogg to .oga the page will accept the file…

with .ogg

pick the .ogg
imagen

it errors…

now lets change the extension to .oga

select all files first
imagen

pick the .oga
imagen

and upload!

Proof: testsound - Roblox

3 Likes

This issue is still present, and it’s getting extremely annoying. I am tired of converting my files every time.

We’ve just rolled out a fix for this issue. Take a moment to check and confirm if everything is working as expected on your end.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.