Unanchored objects falling through the ground when server is under high loads

In Lumber Tycoon 2, some users report items falling through the ground and being lost when the server is under high stress: either when a large base is loading or when multiple large bases are loaded.

The frequency of this issue is low but the severity is high: most users play on healthy servers and don’t have huge bases, but when it happens it can be devastating for users.

I first received reports of this issue on Nov 16 2023.

I suspected that this may be related to PhysicsSteppingMethod, but I still received reports after changing it to Fixed.

3 Likes

I find it incredible how Lumber Tycoon 2 supports so many objects with a considerably low amount of lag compared to what it “should” have.

1 Like

We are looking into this issue. I know you said it only happens intermittently, but was wondering if you had an isolated repro by any chance :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello there! While waiting for a repro, I’ve gone ahead and reverted a potentially related change. Let me know if you still experience issues.

For context: We’ve recently added certain limits to the amount of physics work that can be added to the engine in order to prevent servers from hanging. This means these places have a LOT of parts (way cool!). The limit was set to a point where on average a single world step would take about 5 s (contrast to the normal 1/240 s for 4 physics steps per worldstep), which would eventually “deathspiral” into the server failing to keep up and leads to hangs. I believe however that the threshold is not entirely accurate, and may not be taking sleeping parts properly into account, for example. That’s my hypothesis, anyway.

1 Like