Unanchored part that is sleeping can't wake up fast enough to react to a hit from a players tool

Wow! I didn’t think it was possible to keep a part awake using “Massless”. It definitely worked when it came to keeping the part awake forever. If anyone is having a sleeping issue with their game I definitely recommend trying this method out! Unfortunately, after testing it on the puck I can confirm that it did not solve the situation. This again confirms that it isn’t a sleeping issue with the puck. Thanks for showing me this method though.

2 Likes

I too am currently experiencing this issue, mine is slightly different however.

When the player swings the hockey stick the puck doesn’t move and the players stick cant go through the puck as well. (I saw that the stick was going through the puck for you). I’m not really sure why this is happening as it only happens to a select few of people for only about a minute, then throughout the rest of the game play it seems to not happen again.

Update on the situation…

As mentioned before this is no longer an awake parts issue. Don’t get me wrong, the new Roblox update will help tremendously…

Especially for users with slower computers and devices. This is a different bug that is causing the puck to go through the hockey stick right now though.

I did not find the source causing the bug. I did find a solution though…

Believe it or not, the solution to the problem is adding a “Legacy Body Mover” or “Body Mover” into the player. For some reason (don’t ask me how) it makes the puck rarely ever go through the hockey stick. If you use the “Body Movers” make sure you have your “Constraint” attached to the “Attachment” appropriately. See…

The “Body Movers” can be any part of the body and/or any piece of equipment welded to the player. It also can be inside a “Model”, “Part”, or pretty much anything attached to the character. It also can be any type of “Legacy Body Mover” or “Body Mover” type.

In my example, I put the “BodyForce” into the “HockeyPants” “Model” of the player. With this new Roblox update it almost never goes through at all anymore. The moment I remove the “BodyForce” the problems come back again.

Here is the evidence…

It would be nice to find the cause of the bug, so we can come up with better solutions for it in the future. For now, this will get the job done!

3 Likes

Glad you found a solution (if a strange one). Thanks for posting the link to the new physics changes. I hadn’t seen it. Will try my canon again without my waker script and see what happens. I feel like it should work now.

1 Like

Hey, I’m experiencing a similar problem. Your problem seems to be that you go through the puck, my problem is that the puck doesn’t move at all and the player cant go through it, they just get stuck running into it. After running into the puck for some time the player can move the puck, not sure why that is. I tried putting a BodyForce in the player but it didn’t stop it from happening. Have you ran into this at all?

Yes, we have had that issue happen so many times prior to me adding an ownership script into the puck. We almost had to shutdown the game because of it. Our community calls this “entry.”

It’s a problem that normally occurs when a player joins the game recently and attempts to make contact with the puck. It started happening roughly 4-5 years ago. We think what is happening is that the server is slow to react to giving the players ownership when the player is new to the server. It also seems to impact players with lower end internet connectivity and/or lower end devices.

To test for this, you can activate “Are Owners Shown” in the Studio Settings. Fool around with it until you are able to have the bug happen. You will notice every once in a while the pucks outline color will not match your characters outline color. Not sure if this still happens because I tested with this two years ago. Give it a try though, and see if you can get it to happen.

The only way to get rid of it without using ownership is to let the player handle the puck for about 10-15 seconds. Be warned, it can come back at anytime though.

If you are fine with using ownership you can add a server script into the puck and use “RunService.Stepped” to detect the magnitude of the players, and give the player who is closest to the puck ownership.

Performance wise this fixes it, but visually you are going to have slight puck teleportation and pauses because the ownership is constantly changing between the players. If the players know how to spread out and properly play their position this isn’t much of an issue. If you got some random players who bunch up and wack at the puck than this could be an issue.

Worst case scenario I could be all wrong about this, and your issue could be something completely different. I talked to many other people who own Roblox sports games, and lots of them have told me they had this issue (especially the hockey ones.)

That sounds about right. I had it earlier in the game but removed it due to a little teleportation/ less control but I’ll re-add it because the pros outweight the cons.

What I did though instead of finding nearest player is when they touch the puck they got ownership.

Edit: Trying out giving ownership to closest player.