Union bug report because I can't post bug reports

When unioning two relatively complex unions together (both with around 300 parts in them), it returns csg error 14. I have tried separating both unions and unioning the 600 parts that way, but it still results in the same error. I need to get them in the same union (and then union with around 400 negative parts) so that I can export it to blender to reduce tri count there.

It shouldn’t be a triangle count issue, as the total number of triangles, even with over 600 parts, is under 8k triangles (as all of the parts are just regular cuboids), and I have made unions with around 30k+ triangles before with spheres and etc.

Below I have included two rbxm files for ease of replication and testing.
The first one includes the two problematic unions:
Unions.rbxm (1.2 MB)

And another file that includes the 400ish negative parts that I need to union as well if they are also needed:
Unions with neg.rbxm (1.4 MB)

(Side note, it’s not a hardware issue; I can post hardware specs if you absolutely believe it’s a hardware issue.)

1 Like

Have you tried just moving one of the Parts .001 studs in a different direction?
Back in the early days of Unions they’d sometimes error, but if you moved a single Part (or Union or negated item) the Union would work.

I tried that just now, but unfortunately it didn’t fix anything. It still returns error code 14 after I’ve nudged a couple parts.

You mentioned 400 negated Parts. What happens if you try Unioning the Negated Parts into one item?

I am able to union the negated parts into 2 unions (distinctly unable to union into 1 union).
However I am not able to combine the then negated unions with the other unions.

Thank you for reporting it! This error is related to an exceeded triangle limit (20k triangles). When even simple shapes are unionized the result might have much more complex shape and resulting number of triangles will be higher than the sum of all.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.