Unlock :Shutdown()

http://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=Shutdown

Please unlock it for server scripts :imagine:

11 Likes

didn’t you already have a thread about this?

I don’t understand why it’s locked.

There is already a workaround for this so it could not be any reason to keep it locked anymore

for _,player in ipairs(game.Players:GetPlayers()) do
player:Kick()
end
game.Players.PlayerAdded:connect(function(player)
player:Kick()
end)

I have a thread about shutting down servers? No thread asking for this method.

@MrWorkaround

I need something more certain than relying on the server to shut itself down…

@MrWorkaround

I need something more certain than relying on the server to shut itself down…[/quote]

I did not say :Shutdown() is useless I say it does no longer need to be locked like the other here. I think you misunderstood me :stuck_out_tongue:

@MrWorkaround

I need something more certain than relying on the server to shut itself down…[/quote]

I did not say :Shutdown() is useless I say it does no longer need to be locked like the other here. I think you misunderstood me :P[/quote]

Oh, derp. I misread your post and I apologize :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes plssss
Calling Player:Kick() on everyone doesn’t work because a player can join again before the server closes, and it has to keep resetting the timeout every time it does that, thus piling up a bunch of blank servers and screwing up the join queue.

I did an auto shutdown on an 800 server player once, and the join queue took such a hard impact that it started generating thousands of blank servers. It reached a few hundred pages before it finally stopped.

If I remember correctly, :Shutdown() on DataModel is a Client-Sided function, used to close the ROBLOXPlayer Instance. I didn’t think it was intended for ROBLOX Server. (This was a simple experiment with a client-side context elevation several months ago. This could have changed.)

Well, actually closing the client’s window would be a nice feature, rather than having to crash the client to prevent them from being a floating camera.

[quote] Yes plssss
Calling Player:Kick() on everyone doesn’t work because a player can join again before the server closes, and it has to keep resetting the timeout every time it does that, thus piling up a bunch of blank servers and screwing up the join queue.

I did an auto shutdown on an 800 server player once, and the join queue took such a hard impact that it started generating thousands of blank servers. It reached a few hundred pages before it finally stopped. [/quote]

Usually if you perform something like this, you are probably around doing so.
When you want to shut down all servers, but kicking all players does not result in a good result, just quickly change the game to personal server. This erases all current servers in a short time. Check they are indeed gone and just switch back to the regular game.

For me, if I want all servers down, I notify players a new update is ready (through a script and marketplaceservice), and that the server is indeed shutting down in a few seconds, giving people the time to save and leave. Since I’m most likely still around, I verify all servers are indeed shut down.

Still, if we had the Shutdown(), it would be so much easier.

[quote] Yes plssss

I did an auto shutdown on an 800 server player once, and the join queue took such a hard impact that it started generating thousands of blank servers. It reached a few hundred pages before it finally stopped. [/quote]

When you want to shut down all servers, but kicking all players does not result in a good result, just quickly change the game to personal server. This erases all current servers in a short time. Check they are indeed gone and just switch back to the regular game.

For me, if I want all servers down, I notify players a new update is ready (through a script and marketplaceservice), and that the server is indeed shutting down in a few seconds, giving people the time to save and leave. Since I’m most likely still around, I verify all servers are indeed shut down.

Still, if we had the Shutdown(), it would be so much easier.[/quote]

I do the same thing with the Personal server stuff, but I haven’t done anything with a global announcement system yet.

I want to soon though.

[quote] [quote=“CloneTrooper1019” post=45814]Yes plssss

Still, if we had the Shutdown(), it would be so much easier.[/quote]

I do the same thing with the Personal server stuff, but I haven’t done anything with a global announcement system yet.

I want to soon though.[/quote]

Well, here’s what I use:

[spoiler]local market = game:GetService("MarketplaceService") local b = market:GetProductInfo(30219213).Description -- Change to your item ID, preferably some random model while true do local e = market:GetProductInfo(30219213).Description -- When the desc of the items changes, cause shutdown message if b ~= e then script.Reset.Value = true -- Used to notify players with a gui for i = 0, 90 do -- Timer, also used for gui to tell how long they still have script.Timer.Value = 90-i wait(1) end script.Parent.ShutDown.Disabled = false end wait(5) end

with Shutdown being the natural kick all players script stuff.[/spoiler]

I actually want :Shutdown() so I can use it on a specific server :stuck_out_tongue: The personal server switch is a neat way to do that though.

Definitely would be useful.

I’m trying to make a game with multiple places in a UNIVERSE( not “Game” I hate that name) and when I update the common database I need to shut down all servers in all places. Seeing as how most of the places will be inactive (still joinable via teleport but not on my profile) I can’t shut them down.

Honestly…why can’t we shut down all games or servers properly :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

In addition, manipulation of the server join priority would be EPIC to see. This would mean you wouldn’t even need to shut down servers. Just have all the old servers set themselves as low priority. Also, you could make servers kick all the players at smart times instead of when the command is given. This would mean your players would be less annoyed because the server would not shut down 2 seconds before the level completed.

We definitely need some reliable way to shutdown all the game’s servers. :confused:

I think the reason it’s locked is that you can use it for a denial of service attack by shutting down all the servers that get made for a game as soon as they’re created. The thing is, you can do much the same thing by kicking all of the players, so I think it’s relatively safe to unlock, but at least that’s the reasoning for originally having it locked.

We don’t see you here very often :stuck_out_tongue: I appreciate your reply and I understand the original reasoning. You said yourself that there isn’t a fantastic reason to keep it locked and everyone wants it; do you think we’ll get it anytime soon? [size=2]plz I need it for my game. I don’t wanna deal with kicking and evilness when this magical method can be unlocked. plz plz plz[/size]

Bump. I would love to know if the admins are planning on unlocking it :stuck_out_tongue: