Unlock :Shutdown()

I think the reason it’s locked is that you can use it for a denial of service attack by shutting down all the servers that get made for a game as soon as they’re created. The thing is, you can do much the same thing by kicking all of the players, so I think it’s relatively safe to unlock, but at least that’s the reasoning for originally having it locked.

We don’t see you here very often :stuck_out_tongue: I appreciate your reply and I understand the original reasoning. You said yourself that there isn’t a fantastic reason to keep it locked and everyone wants it; do you think we’ll get it anytime soon? [size=2]plz I need it for my game. I don’t wanna deal with kicking and evilness when this magical method can be unlocked. plz plz plz[/size]

Bump. I would love to know if the admins are planning on unlocking it :stuck_out_tongue:

We’re still waiting for this :stuck_out_tongue:
I think… :uhhh:

Go your your place > Games-tab > Shutdown All

You could always still have a Marketplace/Http-Service thingy to inform your players before you do that.

[quote] Go your your place > Games-tab > Shutdown All

You could always still have a Marketplace/Http-Service thingy to inform your players before you do that. [/quote]
Much rather have a property that I can set. So, I can make a hint in the game that says rejoin to be in an updated server. So people don’t rage quit when they lose all their progress.

I don’t want :shutdown() to shutdown all my servers. I want it to shutdown specific servers internally.

nvm didn’t see a post

The only reason I see for wanting to shutdown specific servers would be for updates ( or if they break ).

Either way a MUCH better (and more flashy) alternative is to make your game automatically updating. Rather than using MarketplaceService for broadcasting you’re shutting down for updates, use it to MAKE updates happen dynamically.

Now, for some games this is damn near impossible, but ESPECIALLY in round-based games this is actually really viable and simple.

MarketplaceService would check at the end of a round the description of a model with a version number. If there is a new version number, it alerts the players that the game is automatically updating to the newest version, then you could use LoadAsset to update models/scripts/add content. Large updates would probably still require full shutdowns, but for additions and modifications this is perfectly fine.

Being able to shutdown broken servers would be fantastic. So would the ability to shutdown servers used in universe based games; especially if there should only be one server of each place and a personal server just won’t cut it.

It seems like this could be abused in exploitable places.
Perhaps make it FilteringEnabled-only?

[quote] It seems like this could be abused in exploitable places.
Perhaps make it FilteringEnabled-only? [/quote]

I fail to see how making it for FilteringEnabled only places would help, at all. It would make more sense to make it available to places which disable loadstring.

Is there a reason this hasn’t been implemented? When I join a broken server of my game, I should be able to shut it down from within without searching through dozens of pages of servers.

This isn’t a denial-of-service vulnerability. Right now I can rig up a simple web bot which constantly performs the postback to shutdown all servers. Or I can simply crash the game server on start. There is no difference.

The advantage of an in-game API is that it can be used by scripts to nicely shutdown a server. Right now we have to kick all players, wait a reasonable amount of time, and then crash the server. The problem with this approach is that the OnClose callback won’t be invoked.

Also, with this method a “Shutdown” button can be added to the developer console.

3 Likes

May this please be unlocked? A Kick-All-Players-And-Entering-Players shutdown system works terribly, it yields results exactly like Clonetrooper described. Since that’s no option, I use another method to shutdown, which is the “Shutdown All” button. Even though I put a 4 hour warning prior to the shutdown, I still get this feedback, here’s a snippet:

^ CONTEXT: Round 20 takes about over an hour to get to on average, and it’s the final round. I hate causing this, I can feel their pain of dieing right at the gates of completion.

So, having this locked causes anger like that and as well cuts away precious momentum a game with 600+ concurrent players has, thus I feel it should be unlocked. Of course, this ain’t just for my project, I could see it used for:
multiplayer shooter: shutdown when the match is over
Super Bomb Survival: shutdown when match is over
Reason 2 Die: shutdown when match is over
Zombiecon: shutdown when match is over
Eh actually I can only think that this helps match-based games, there’s a lot of those right?
apocalypse rising: ehhh, give a warning to players in the server that it’ll shut down in x minutes?

[size=4]It would be unlocked so that we can shutdown the game at convenient times, and not when a player is in the middle of a triple-collateral-across-the-map-quickscope-headshot-ladderstall-7-kill-streak. We don’t want to interrupt those. [/size]

I’d love to be able to update my game, and have all places in the game (universe) detect the change and shutdown if they aren’t the correct version. Currently there’s no way to “Shutdown a universe” so you need to go into your places, and manually shutdown each game.

1 Like

Do you use an in-game banner to let people know about an impending shutdown? If it’s just in the description, most people will not notice. My banner script checks a t-shirt’s description, and if it’s a legit message it creates a closeable banner on people’s screens. It comes back every time they respawn too. The banner finally goes away if the t-shirt description is erased.

Do you use an in-game banner to let people know about an impending shutdown? If it’s just in the description, most people will not notice. My banner script checks a t-shirt’s description, and if it’s a legit message it creates a closeable banner on people’s screens. It comes back every time they respawn too. The banner finally goes away if the t-shirt description is erased.[/quote]

Will do that now, I actually do have an in-game banner that tells the players when their server is outdated, but that’s tied to my bad make-shift auto-shutdown system. I’ll use it for when I’m about manually shutdown all now.

I need this

3 Likes

So do I.

Support. Want this.