Unread chat notification with no unread chats

For the past few months I’ve had an unread chat notification icon on the chat button. I am unable to find any unread messages, and am unable to make it go away. Reinstalling the app does not fix this. My phone is the Huawei Honor 8, I am running Android 7.0 and the latest version of the app. I do not have any unread message notifications on the website.

In app:

2017-11-10_01-49-30

9 Likes

Usually there is some message from someone ages ago that is marked as unread. The difference between a marked and unmarked one is often minimal (unread is black, read is lighter black?).

It’s a bit odd. Have you tried opening every chat listed?

1 Like

I just tried. I now have 41 unread notifications. I don’t seem to be able to make these go away either. Not really what I was expecting.

5 Likes

We have some changes coming for Android chat soon. I’d be interested to see if this still happens once those changes are pushed. I also have this notification on my chat as well, we need a better way to clear unreads/notifications in-app.

4 Likes

Hey there! We are aware of some unread message bugs due to how we are checking for unread messages. As you scroll, you also may find more ‘unread messages’ (just as you experienced). We’re still working on the Lua implementation of chat for Android users. This issue should be fixed after that release.

3 Likes

Still have the unread message icon on mobile. But as of today it now displays on the site too. I’m unable to make both of these go away. I’m not sure what happened with the other 40 from my previous comment. :slightly_frowning_face:

2018-01-27_14-26-10

2 Likes

I’ve been experiencing this for a few weeks myself. Can’t seem to find any unread messages.

Out of curiosity: why is a web-based chatting service using Lua in the first place?

1 Like

I experience the same problem; two unread chat messages but I can not find any. Even opening all chats and clicking in the chat bar (which should make sure that particular chat is read) does not seem to work. I really wish this was fixed because I am notorious for not reading my chat in time as is, and now it is even harder to notice if there would be any new.

Web version isn’t, mobile is. Probably easier to use their own system than a webview or the mobile app APIs if I had to guess.

@Lunya @RBX_Lua

As a temporary fix I found that messaging the chats with bold text in them appear to be the cause. Just clicking the chats did not do much but actually sending any random message to that particular person lowers the unread count for me. Note that in both cases it was not an incoming message but my own message that was last sent in them.

This bug is still occurring for me on both the mobile and website chat despite no new chat messages. It seemed to mark already read chat messages from someone as new when I joined a team create session with them.

Sorry for the necrobump, but this issue is still happening.

On Roblox Web, chats marked as unread are unable to become “read.” By posting another message, there is a chance your previous messages will become read, but not always.

I believe the “read” mechanic is broken, as it should register a message read if the chat is open, and the scroll bar is at the bottom OR if the message itself is within view.

5 Likes

Bug on mobile (iOS) saying that there’s a message notification and when on it, there’s no new messages received or delivered.

Not sure on the exact date when this started happening, I’m not a frequent mobile user but I had stuff like this happen when I was on desktop. Chat always showed ‘2’ or ‘3’ messages but when clicked on, there were no new ones, even when you click on the chat with the recipients.

1 Like

What is this?
WHAT IS THIS?

This has been a problem for way too long on this site, and it’s only getting worse from here. I used to be able to fix this issue by just replying to the chats, but now there’s absolutely no bold text to indicate new messages, and even if you did manage to locate the phantom chats, bet you a dime it still wouldn’t work.

3 Likes

I have the same problem occurring, I had to remove about 130 friends because of the chat things not disappearing after I click on them. It is very annoying.

1 Like

This is still happening. Both on PC and mobile app. I’ve made conversation with the people it says to but it simply won’t go away.

1 Like

What really upsets me is that this has been going on for 3 years now (maybe longer) and Roblox has made no effort to fix this very prevalent issue.

It’s not just this one issue though. There’s message shuffling, firing messages twice, not refreshing for new messages, blind-client moderation, the list goes on.

The website chat is probably the most broken feature on this site.

2 Likes

it definitely is one of the worst bugs, it happens on all devices.

I emailed this to support and they told me to delete my cache and delete the app, I did and it’s still happening for YEARS. I’ve just learned to ignore it even though I have to keep checking if I really got a chat notification.

1 Like

It’s not just Android. I have the Apple iPad Pro 10.5’, iOS 13.5.1(latest) and the most recent version of the app. Not only does it grow when you add someone new but it can also randomly grow. When you unfriend someone the notification has a chance to go away. When someone sends you a DM, the notification has a chance to grow. Personally I just use apps that don’t have the chat filter or broken notifications because it isn’t as buggy.

2 Likes

On my IOS mobile device it shows “1” when I went through all the messages and there aren’t any unread. It randomly happens and randomly goes away. Just like what @Aiomab said that I realize was a month ago. I am on a iPhone 8 iOS 13.5.

1 Like