Website Chat Notification That Never Goes Away

I accidentally added someone and received a ‘ghost’ message that the new chat was created, even though it was empty. Usually this notification goes away for me just by opening the chat. I unfriended the person before doing this and the notification is now permanent.

I readded the person recently and had a (2) notification instead of (1). Opening the new chat brought it back down to (1). Sending a message made no difference. It’s not a big deal but it’s annoying as it’s always visible in my tabs when on the website and at the bottom right of my screen.

5 Likes

Definitely agreed. I can sometimes make the notifications go away through the mobile app, but sometimes that also doesn’t work. I kind of wish there was like a Mark as Read button on the chat. Such as how it’s there in the messages system.

3 Likes

Agreed. I have at least 7 That I am unable to clear.

2 Likes

I currenty have 9 unread chats because of this, simply because I haven’t messaged those 9 people that I have added.
I’ve managed to work around reading messages sent to me though via two ways. One is typing a message until it marks it read, then you can just delete your message without sending it. Another way is opening the chat on mobile (but that’s not viable for people who don’t have the app.) Doing the mobile trick used to be the only way to mark blank chats as read, but now that’s not even working.
The fact this bug has been around ever since chats were introduced is beyond me.

3 Likes

I have 8 currently. It started over 10 months ago, when I got the first unread chat. I checked which one it was, and clicked it and still it didn’t go away. I clicked other ones, nothing changed. It kept increasing over and over. I have been ignoring them for looong time. Screenshot_36

2 Likes

After 1.5 years since this bug report was made with multiple people ever since confirming this very bug, it’s still happening as of today. I even found an older bug report seemingly reporting the same issue from 2017 and @nsgriff mentioned this maybe would be fixed with the (back then) ‘changes coming for Android chat’ which later actually might have caused the bug to happen in browsers as well(?).

Please look into and prioritize this - it’s seemingly been 3 years now. Such a necessary feature for communication on the platform should not be experiencing these kind of ‘silly’ bugs.

20 Likes

Yeah, I can confirm. Have about 8 and can’t clear them on the desktop website or the mobile app - it’s starting to really annoy me. I have no new chats but for some reason it keeps saying I have 8 and I don’t know why.

2 Likes

My friend and I recently friended some people and we both have “ghost notifications”. I suspect this is a problem involving “people you’ve recently friended but never actually sent them a message through the website chat” but the other bug (in which you get a ghost notification after receiving a message and you read it) still exists.

Also, there should be clearer indicator to show when a new message is sent like a tiny red/orange dot because the bold text can often be hard to see.

4 Likes

I can easily clear them out by just chatting some spaces and then pressing enter, then deleting them. That’s only with the people that I’ve chatted to in Roblox.

Can’t get rid of the “new friends” notifications without having to chat with them.

2 Likes

How do I use this? I just want to get rid of thse 56 notifications!

1 Like

I can confirm that this happens, it is very annoying. There is also another annoying behavior where it gives you a notification whenever you send a message to someone else.

Interesting. Last week, the large majority of garbage notifications went away, but I still have 2 phantom notifications that will never go away.

This is a very curious bug indeed.

On probably a 2 year streak here.

Yep, this still happens to me and even after a long time. It’s exactly 2 notifications just like SundownMKII said.

You can dismiss chat notifications by using this API

Getting hold of a chat code requires the use of Inspect Element, and then you’ll have to find the conversation id, shown here as 2275522654

If you then send a request by setting the endMessageId to a blank string, you’ll clear the chat notification for that chat converstaion

if you click this frame, it’ll auto format the text into the request field

The issue here is that this requires the use of an API and getting hold of conversation IDs. I wish Roblox would just add a ‘Mark as Read’ button to the chat window

I guess this is your only option until Roblox fix the issue

3 Likes

Can confirm I still have this problem of this day too.
To add upon it I also have friends popping up in my chat bar, theres a date next to it for instance 6th of may 2020, but when I check their profile said user has been offline for more than over 2 years. Where is this date coming from, and why is it so random?

4 Likes

I’ve had this problem repeatedly as well.
Upon using FilteredDev’s API suggestion, I did find it to work as a user-end patch. Hopefully roblox will implement a “Mark all as read” option soon, because this does get rather frustrating and annoying for those of us that dont like to have notifications pending on the platforms we use.

1 Like

this problem happens to me too, but I don’t know this is a problem or the chat system tells us to chat with a player after we friend with them. to say something like “Hello” or anything so the chat notification is gone.

before I say something to my friend I never chat in website or mobile chat (I only chat in-game)
after a chat with my friend (only one word for testing), the notification is gone.

EDIT: my friend text me back, and I’m already read the chat but notification not gone

1 Like

Can confirm that this is still happening.

It always happens when I add a friend and doesn’t go away until I text them in the Roblox Chat. I don’t use the chat at all, so I don’t do that.

Even when I open the chat and click all the chats. It is still there.

1 Like

Is there any updates on when this issue will be resolved I have 47 ghost notifications. Another step that I found that causes this to happen is if you click on a person who you have never spoke with or haven’t spoken to in years it will add a notification to the chat tab.