Upcoming Ads Roadmap and Changes

Advertising for followers just proves you have a massive ego.

Why are you trying to speedrun getting a checkmark next to your name?

1 Like

There is literally no reason to every follow anyone on roblox otherwise. There exists no purpose or feature to the follower feature, so users have no reason to use it other than to verify developers.

If they have a notable game they’ll naturally get followers. That’s how the feature was intended to function.

2 Likes

yeah… people still follow popular figures anyway? It’s no secret that some of the largest and smaller creators have hundreds of thousands of followers.

I’m sad about it, but user ads have become pretty boring and corporate in the past few years. I will not miss them, because they already might as well have been gone for years. Not to mention that only a few ads are ever in circulation at a time since either buying them is so unpopular or a few people buy all of them, not sure which is the case. Not excited for Roblox to replace user ads with something like Google ads though, don’t they track us enough?

5 Likes

Really not surprised User Ads are finally being removed; there were so many low-quality ads that it almost made the Roblox website look like a joke at times. I ended up blocking User Ads entirely because I was tired of seeing so many cringy ads.

But I have to bring this up again. Will there ever be more AdShapes for Immersive Ads? I have a lot of potential ideas for how Immersive Ads could be integrated into experiences, but this all depends on having AdShapes that aren’t a basic 16:9 rectangle.

Additionally, with the removal of User Ads, this is going to make advertisers who traditionally relied on User Ads have to migrate over to Immersive Ads, and having more AdShapes would just make that move a lot easier.

2 Likes

Big L for small devs… guess it will be harder to discover new experiences…

7 Likes

I’m terrible with terminology… sponsored ads are the ones where it replaces a spot in a list of games on the page, while user ads are the ones created with an image editor, right? Not keen on seeing the latter go, especially with the most recent YouTube fiasco(s) driving the whole adblocking thing into the spotlight… even though my adblocker works on them for some reason.

To make it clear, I don’t monetize my games at all (Easiest way to keep money from influencing your game making decisions negatively is to keep money out of the equation in the first place, imo), I only ran either type just to get people to play them.

3 Likes

Did they ask any dev/user about this or just went with what investors wanted to thrown in?

6 Likes

That is true. This is also not considering the use of Adblockers. I’ve personally had an Adblocker for as long as I can remember. So I never saw these ads to begin with

I whitelist smaller websites that are trying to put food on the table (I gotta respect the grind as a fellow developer, even though I am lucky to develop as a hobby) but the ads on Roblox were pretty horrible for YEARS. They were always clickbaity in a sense, and the ones that weren’t had a monopoly considering it was usually games that were already large advertising. In my opinion, this never helped smaller developers and I’m happy to see them go, although I am open to and understanding of other perspectives

The only concern I have is that this monopoly-type practice with ads currently may transition to sponsorships, making it harder for smaller games to compete. I hope Roblox addresses this potential issue

user ads were a total scam anyway. lots of devs advertise on tiktok now because it works way better

What…? This mindset feels so backwards. Saying that ads are intrusive and non-integrated is absurd, they’ve been around for years and have helped many people (such as myself) get from no where to somewhere.

To then to say that ads will be “non-intrusive” by having them plastered all over your face while playing a game. what??? That is somehow a better “less intrusive” solution to ads simply being displayed on a homepage or while randomly browsing the site?

9 Likes

No the follower feature was intended so that you could follow people to get twitter-like status updates on your feed, but that feature was removed years ago.

If they did then developers with popular games wouldn’t have to spend money on ads to get their 10k followers.

3 Likes

Interesting but I’m not sure how to really feel about this.

Roblox advertising has been in a rough state for the longest time, and become almost completely useless. I hope with these changes, Users under 13 will be able to see sponsored games then? If not then theres no real reason to sponsor on Roblox when you can post TikToks and tweets about your game and get the same or even more impressions then you would investing into the platform.

at least we can still use Robux, else id be very upset about this change. Overall im neutral about this

2 Likes

This is GENUINELY UNACCEPTABLE. You DO NOT NEED THIS INFORMATION. We should not need to give our PERSONAL INFORMATION for advertising experiences to OTHER ROBLOX USERS ON THE SITE.

14 Likes

Well it’s kinda needed but also unnecessary for sign up imo. They said that they’ll have an ad conversion system where you can exchange robux for “ad credits” - if using this I don’t see why the address and PI is required. I feel like Roblox is also doing that to appeal to the larger more “professional” audience for their new advertising page, e.g companies and their brands, but you should also consider the fact that Roblox is pushing USD payments for ads now whereas before it was solely Robux, they may require this information for billing purposes. There could even potentially be a legal reason behind this collection of information now that Roblox is pushing this as an actual advertising portal with its own separate terms.

1 Like

That’s a big problem. I don’t want to dig into my own wallet just to advertise on Roblox when I already have plenty of robux I could be using to do the same thing with no additional information needed. It’s a simple process that’s being overcomplicated to appeal to the target of fun-lacking business suits.

None of this is necessary.

6 Likes

I totally agree with you, the whole ad portal “replacing” the experience sponsorship system seems unnecessary and I think exchanging robux for said “ad credits” is just ridiculous and also again unnecessary. I’m not against the portal itself I think that dynamic advertisements could be beneficial but the way it works just isn’t what we’ve been used to. Why create another currency ‘ad credits’ when we have Robux. Unnecessarily complicated.

1 Like

The funny thing is that we don’t even need to be 18 to set up an ads account.

I just created one.

To do so, just delete the thing that blocks you in the HTML:

just delete that one and you can use it lol.

4 Likes