Upcoming Beta Removal - TerrainTools:ConvertTool

This is actually really worse than removing tickets, like bruh…

3 Likes

Why? the convert tool is way better than the plugins, since it doesn’t clutter inbetween my tool grip edtior or moon animator

4 Likes

…but why tho. Y’all already had the tool made, perfectly streamlined and functioning. Plus, there’s lots of people (including myself) who don’t like using plugins and/or already have too many on their toolbar to fit any more. Dumb decision IMO, I really don’t see what the point is

Also, I know it’s Quenty we’re talking about, but what if Mkargus and Quenty both decided to leave Roblox? What then?

4 Likes

Bad idea. It was easier to access, really useful for beginner/professional builders and it didn’t fill up another space on my plugin bar.

You could easily access it from the terrain tools, but now, when I add one of those plugins, I have to search and find it from tons of plugins. (We also really need better plugin management.)
And who knows the plugins won’t break any time in the future? This official convert tool probably still would’ve gotten updates or gotten fixed if it broke in the future.

Please reconsider your decision. I’m sure a lot of other developers are not happy with the removal as well.

5 Likes

What does this tool do I don’t think I ever saw it before, because I already use a part to terrain tool it must not effect me negatively

2 Likes

This is sad for a number of reasons; we avoid using plugins as Roblox doesn’t regulate their security and they have to be carefully vetted. I think before pushing developers to use plugins as a solution there has to be confidence that all plugins are vetted as safe and secure. a “blue tick”.

In the meantime leave it in Beta until the better solution is completed. It’s a very useful feature and a much better UX than hunting around for a plugin.

5 Likes

What even are those vague “future terrain plans”? Graphical enhancements that have nothing to do with how the terrain is actually shaped? And why would there need to have more effort put into it if it already works perfectly with no issues, even if it hasn’t been updated for a while?

5 Likes

It would’ve been best for builders like myself not to have this option removed.

2 Likes

As a terrain artist, I really don’t like this, really puts a negative impact in to me.

2 Likes

I’m not even a terrain artist and this bugs me off too, I hate using plugins that are either dodgey or cost robux, just don’t remove the god damn useful feature.

3 Likes

I’ve been using this feature almost every day as I’ve been helping a company overhaul their old maps and just noticed today it was removed. Regardless of numbers, features should be added to the platform. Not removed. It makes things harder on the few developers that do use them. Now I need 2 terrain widgets open instead of one. The terrain editor widget and the part to terrain plugin widget. I used to use the plugin prior to roblox added their own feature however, after it was added, I stopped using part to terrain plugin because having all terrain features under 1 widget just made my life so much easier. I hate having a ton of widgets open on my screen at once taking up screen space. :confused:

3 Likes

I completely agree. I use the beta feature an absolute ton.
The only complaint I have with it is that it can be a little choppy sometimes. Maybe they should make an effort to re-implement it to help that.

Man, removing this tools give me such a big impact on my development workflow, I use this tools for converting big part like 1000x1000 or even 2000x2000 to create mountain or something, using plugin not going to work because of the limitation of plugin, All the plugin u guys provide as alternative only work for small part and not big part.

In the video below, you can see what I mean

I really hope you guys bring back this tools as soon as possible. Or just put the old version GitHub - Roblox/Studio-Tools: Built-in ROBLOX Studio Lua plugins in this GitHub for people to download, while waiting the better version that still in development.

1 Like

I made a port of the original Part to Terrain functionality in the Terrain Tools but as a community plugin instead: stravant - Part to Biome / Terrain - Roblox

I provided both a copy of the original panel, and an explicit “Convert” button which you can bind to a keyboard shortcut for easier access, which converts with the last settings you had.

7 Likes

Honestly I hate this update since there is not any plug-in that let’s you select multiple parts and convert them at the same time (if there is please help me)

See my post right above yours :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mine does this too!

1 Like

Sorry for the problems the plugin this causing!

If you need to convert big parts, try disabling the “Preserve existing Terrain” in the settings and see if that helps. The preserving feature has a much smaller limit as documented in the Roblox Developer page.

Man, you’re a lifesaver - as always.

The scale of my project absolutely necessitated, as the backbone to the entire workflow, a process in which mountains could be blocked out with meshes, imported back in as wedges using XAXA’s collision generator, and then converted en-masse to actual terrain (with each group of wedges numbering thousands). I was probably one of the very few in those double-digits that made extensive use of the function, I’m relieved to see that you’ve offered a convenient solution to restore that feature.

Command line macros are obviously doable, but it’s always better to have a solution that only requires a few clicks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.