Upcoming Beta Removal - TerrainTools:ConvertTool

What happened to option number 5? Where you acknowledge you’re going to remove the feature, continue with efforts for the alternative. Create the alternative and instead of announcing the removal of the beta continue to let it rot like you’ve already have and surprise everyone with a new feature?

The fact is you’re not forcing people to use community plugins. You’re forcing people to subject themselves to possible plugins built by bad actors. You’re giving them the chance to become the newly [Content Deleted] / Account Terminated out there. And with the support Roblox offers, the predefined and automated response of heartless support agents that could care less if the situation was resolved.

You could have just announced the End of Life for the beta, but kept it around until the new feature is done like you guys are doing with the StreamOutBehavior Beta. Honestly I just hope these new features for terrain falls in the ball park of overhauled water, water culling, or better heightmap control.

It’s sad to see such a convenient feature go. Definitely preferred the first party tool than a third party plugin.

6 Likes

I’m sorry if I’m missing something, I only lightly skimmed through the topic, but why are they doing this? There is no reason to do so, and just because a low amount of dev’s use it, doesn’t mean none at all.

Edit: I got the answer, but I still feel like there’s another approach.

2 Likes

This was a really useful feature which was really quicker to use than plugins and had little to no issues, and it even supported parts with big BlockMeshes, which was extremely useful for large maps. I hate having to use outdated plugins that clutter my screen and that lack features the tool had. If it wasn’t for this feature, a game of mine would’ve probably had a really bumpy coastline and it would’ve taken much more time to make than it would’ve needed to.

5 Likes

this doesnt really affect me since i have a plugin for it anyway. i dont see the point in removing this to be honest.

2 Likes

I really appreciated the convenience of the official tool without having to find a third party plugin that could be malicious and further clutter my plugin bar. I don’t really understand why this is being done.

Edit: I don’t mind using the plugins posted as long as they get the job done, but this still seems like a pointless change.

3 Likes

My plugins bar is already semi-broken due to the amount of plugins I have enabled (the scroll sometimes repeats itself or the icons refuse to load at all), I don’t want make it even worse.

5 Likes

I completely disagree with this, this built-in tool allows all developers to easily use a built in function to covert terrain in a very accessible way, needing to rely on plugins to do this is tedious and quite ridiculous. It’s a very useful tool to use when you need it and I’d personally rather not to have to dig through plug-ins for 1 fairly simple functionality.

5 Likes

Oh yay, another plugin to take up room in my toolbar that I have to reinstall…

5 Likes

Also what if the creator of the plugin decides to stop editing it? Then we have to hunt down a new one every time this happens…

4 Likes

This is actually really worse than removing tickets, like bruh…

3 Likes

Why? the convert tool is way better than the plugins, since it doesn’t clutter inbetween my tool grip edtior or moon animator

4 Likes

…but why tho. Y’all already had the tool made, perfectly streamlined and functioning. Plus, there’s lots of people (including myself) who don’t like using plugins and/or already have too many on their toolbar to fit any more. Dumb decision IMO, I really don’t see what the point is

Also, I know it’s Quenty we’re talking about, but what if Mkargus and Quenty both decided to leave Roblox? What then?

4 Likes

Bad idea. It was easier to access, really useful for beginner/professional builders and it didn’t fill up another space on my plugin bar.

You could easily access it from the terrain tools, but now, when I add one of those plugins, I have to search and find it from tons of plugins. (We also really need better plugin management.)
And who knows the plugins won’t break any time in the future? This official convert tool probably still would’ve gotten updates or gotten fixed if it broke in the future.

Please reconsider your decision. I’m sure a lot of other developers are not happy with the removal as well.

5 Likes

What does this tool do I don’t think I ever saw it before, because I already use a part to terrain tool it must not effect me negatively

2 Likes

This is sad for a number of reasons; we avoid using plugins as Roblox doesn’t regulate their security and they have to be carefully vetted. I think before pushing developers to use plugins as a solution there has to be confidence that all plugins are vetted as safe and secure. a “blue tick”.

In the meantime leave it in Beta until the better solution is completed. It’s a very useful feature and a much better UX than hunting around for a plugin.

5 Likes

What even are those vague “future terrain plans”? Graphical enhancements that have nothing to do with how the terrain is actually shaped? And why would there need to have more effort put into it if it already works perfectly with no issues, even if it hasn’t been updated for a while?

5 Likes

It would’ve been best for builders like myself not to have this option removed.

2 Likes

As a terrain artist, I really don’t like this, really puts a negative impact in to me.

2 Likes

I’m not even a terrain artist and this bugs me off too, I hate using plugins that are either dodgey or cost robux, just don’t remove the god damn useful feature.

3 Likes

I’ve been using this feature almost every day as I’ve been helping a company overhaul their old maps and just noticed today it was removed. Regardless of numbers, features should be added to the platform. Not removed. It makes things harder on the few developers that do use them. Now I need 2 terrain widgets open instead of one. The terrain editor widget and the part to terrain plugin widget. I used to use the plugin prior to roblox added their own feature however, after it was added, I stopped using part to terrain plugin because having all terrain features under 1 widget just made my life so much easier. I hate having a ton of widgets open on my screen at once taking up screen space. :confused:

3 Likes